Best Drum Breaks

the rare and wily drum brake drum break....

CCorps had mentioned the '74 SCV cymbal line marking time....IIRC at the time DCI rules were such that you had to keep your feet moving even if you weren't, and that you couldn't stop/halt until Concert. Can someone from that era please verify...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z8xDv65V20

Or the even rarer drum brake drum break.

I think he is playing Achy Brakey Heart

CCorps had mentioned the '74 SCV cymbal line marking time....IIRC at the time DCI rules were such that you had to keep your feet moving even if you weren't, and that you couldn't stop/halt until Concert. Can someone from that era please verify...?

I don't remember when that rule was done away with. I know in my marching era you had to keep moving, under the VFW/AL rules. You had a limited amount of stop time available, usually reserved for concert numbers and the end of productions. "Time in motion" was measured by the T&P judge, as was the silly cadence caption (look at the posted VFW Nats 1971 recap on corpsreps to see the cadence caption listed). In the shortened prelim drill you could not stop at all, even at the end of a tune.

That all changed sometime in the early DCI era, but I don't recall the exact year.

When drum corps became marching band, right guys? Right? Right...? ... ...

Close enough for horseshoes, hand grenades, and a 10 ft. pole. Or at least one long enough to beat the living "essence" out of another of the activity's traditonal highlights. Drum solos, drum features, or drum breaks were once standard, and expected. They were even looked foreward to with anticipation. Now, not so much. And "show bands," may be more honest in comparison.

Close enough for horseshoes, hand grenades, and a 10 ft. pole. Or at least one long enough to beat the living "essence" out of another of the activity's traditonal highlights. Drum solos, drum features, or drum breaks were once standard, and expected. They were even looked foreward to with anticipation. Now, not so much. And "show bands," may be more honest in comparison.

Drum solos were also standard in an era where marching the pit was standard, and a concert piece was standard. Shows have become a lot more fluid, so there isn't as much need to take a three minute horn break for the drums to go crazy. It can be weaved through the show in smaller chunks to showcase them without breaking he momentum of the program.