Carolina Crown 2014

Cappybara,

I will easily concede that the final product is no longer disjointed. The point I am making here is that it took too long to get the program to a place where the focus did not need to be on design and could be on cleaning it. The staff could not get to the clean part in time. Thus, fifth place. Sorry, cappybara. I am not trying argue with you at all. Never have. I just know that the corps could have been a contender with a better designed show. :)

Oh don't worry I can see what you mean and completely understand what you're trying to get across. They definitely did not put out a well designed product at first and that hurt them. However, they still have my 2nd favorite show this year so I'm very happy with 5th place in a crazy competitive year :smile:

• Like 1

Watching on high cam last night, the rings and Frisbees finally made sense. They still don't on lower level shots. Interesting on how that happens. ( just saying )

Cappybara,

They have been my corps for many years. I marched with them for three seasons, 90-92. I could never imagine them bringing in this type of talent 24 years ago. Kevin Smith deserves the HOF honor. I could not march or play the way these members do now. Just incredible, the amount of effort they put into a show.

• Like 1

Crown has done for me what they've done for the past number of years...

... Get me to really dig a show I started out feeling indifferent about.

While I think they're placing right around where they should be, the members have got to feel proud of what they've been able to perform this season.

Best of luck to them tonight.

• Like 2

FLguardman,

I'm sorry, but I speak English and work in the insurance industry. What I said was that trampolines are such a liability that personal insurance lines have cut coverage for them in most cases. To use such devices is not safe. Not every prop has the same level of safety hazard potential. Trampolines are up there with pitbulls in terms of anyone's ability to predict what can happen. Oh, that's why few insurance companies cover liability for them as well. The potential safety problems is why Crown does not use them significantly in their show, which means this design element is essentially unneccessary. One can barely use them, so why have them? So, Crown's staff must have realized too late that such items add little to the show are too dangerous to use them to any significant advantage and are therefore stupid to have them on the field.

Ah yes. It's the marching tick bomb. You really have no concept or idea of what you are talking about.

Why do you believe I don't know what I'm talking about, simply because I critique the design of the show? Listen, these are no longer the days when corps are simply rewarded for effort. Design is so much of what makes a corps successful. As one commentor put it, GE is now 70% design and 30% performance. I stand by my comments. Try using some type of real argument rather than simply suggest I don't have a clue of what I'm talking about.

Such an amazing corps. Huge shout out to the CrownGUARD for making a huge turnaround this season after a rough start. 3rd place when competing against the likes of BD is incredible. Brass didn't win the Ott this year but they still continue to have my favorite brass sound out of any corps and I'm confident they'll come roaring back next year with a tightly designed show and hungry brassline. Congrats!

Great job Crown. Kudos for taking the risks you did this season.

The biggest congrats this year, IMO, goes to Kevin Smith for getting into the DCI hall of fame.

Congrats Crown (and Kevin Smith) for an awesome -- with the emphasis on AWE -- season. I can't wait to see what happens next year.

Well done, Crown!!!