Carolina Crown 2014

What's cool about that video is that the judge who ran the drum back to him checked to make sure he was back in the game and gave him a little encouragement. It's a little different perspective than the intimidation factor often associated with field judging.

agreed

a good judge is nothing but a good teacher & coach IF they get it!

• Like 2

Good points, George. From an entertainment standpoint, Crown is very entertaining to me. But entertainment ALONE is not going to keep them in contention for titles. Some people try to say that titles aren't important or placement isn't important. Let's say that I agree: then why aren't these people that are getting into Crown go to Spirit of Atlanta, or Pacific Crest, or the Academy. Obviously, competition and placement mean something for such talented performers to go to Crown.

See...I wonder why I get criticized George and other so badly simply because I am an alumi when you and others are basically saying similar things that I have been saying? I don't get it.

Not sure if this was rhetorical or not, but I'll risk it given that your exchanges with TQM and others have almost created a topic of their own.

IMHO, I think it's a combination of tone and perspective. Your word choices have been well documented throughout the thread. It may seem petty, but if you are wondering why folks react differently to your posts when others make the same points, consider this:

There is little grey area in your opinion, and the language is severe. A few examples include "Design Disaster", "one of their worst shows", and a "show that is not worthy of the talent". You support your assertions with valid, well crafted points and observations, but it's too late. Your audience's reaction is now colored by the language, not the argument.

The entertainment vs championship perspective also contributes. For example, I happen to think the show is awesome, placement be ######. I am completely engaged and, in fact, emotionally invested during the performance. Therefore, to me, there are very worthy design elements in the show. When your analysis so strongly asserts that the design is a disaster, that feels more like an insult to my experience rather than a differing opinion. It also leaves no room for any redeeming quality.

In the context of winning championships, the argument is more clinical, and therefore, less of an emotional reaction would be expected, but not everyone reads critiques from this perspective, myself included.

BTW, I am not judging, and I am not suggesting you change your style. I agree with George, stick to your guns. Most of the time, when I read your posts the second time from a different perspective I wound up agreeing with your individual points. However, it should not be surprising that this particular style would elicit this particular reaction from this particular audience.

Anyway, I only bring this up because in several posts you seemed perplexed by the reaction you got.

Look forward to your take on next year's show.....

• Like 1

Thank you for your thoughts, excellent way for me to look at things, runyancm.

I had this show in 3rd, I can see how it would should score in 4th, but I absolutely find it a travesty that it slipped to fifth. That's #### poor judging IMO.

My guess, with this analysis, (poster DCImonkey), you're probably not a drummer. If so, you'd most likely better understand why SCV beat Crown out of 4th place by 4 tenths.

Edited by BRASSO

This was my top show. Entertainment-wise. After semis I asked myself, "what shows am I most excited to see again?" Crown's was at the top of my list. Ever since I entered the activity as a fan, I've loved everything CC has fielded.

Edited by luv4corps

Good points, George. From an entertainment standpoint, Crown is very entertaining to me. But entertainment ALONE is not going to keep them in contention for titles. Some people try to say that titles aren't important or placement isn't important. Let's say that I agree: then why aren't these people that are getting into Crown go to Spirit of Atlanta, or Pacific Crest, or the Academy. Obviously, competition and placement mean something for such talented performers to go to Crown.

Well for starters I personally think they are more entertaining than the other corps you mentioned, so maybe they do too. Some other things you fail to consider are the aspect of being personally challenged to a greater extent than the less 'competitive' corps, not to mention that if you are a brass person there are obviously tremendous educational opportunities there.

So after that and so many other things, what is it you were talking about? Oh yes, competition and placement. Well, they did compete, all summer long, striving to do their best in the arena and circumstances they were in. That only leaves placement. I'm sure they would like to have placed higher, as is the case for every other corps but one. But it is just one thing, far from the most important. And if everyone obsessed over it the way some DCP posters do, drum corps would be a lot less entertaining and less successful. You can never increase the number of first place corps (absent ties) beyond one, but theoretically all corps could could be entertaining.

I'm glad the kids there understand what is most important, and feel sorry for 'fans' who don't. I'm not saying that to put anyone down, I just wish they could enjoy corps as much as I do, especially when I consider their abilities and experience in most cases far exceed mine, suggesting they could understand and appreciate it even much more than me. I would not squander that opportunity if I were lucky enough to have it.

I had this show in 3rd, I can see how it would should score in 4th, but I absolutely find it a travesty that it slipped to fifth. That's #### poor judging IMO.

My guess, with this analysis, (poster DCImonkey), you're probably not a drummer. If so, you'd most likely better understand why SCV beat Crown out of 4th place by 4 tenths.

Yeah I'm a brass guy and the section of the corps that happens to be the largest kicked SCV's ### all around the field. SCV's hornline couldn't hold Crown's JOCK. But hey, SCV has great drums and a purdy parachute.....so GE!!! GE all day. I don't get it. Yeah SCV was nice to look at, but Crown had a better show. Period. I don't get the GE scores.

See...I wonder why I get criticized George and other so badly simply because I am an alumi when you and others are basically saying similar things that I have been saying? I don't get it.

Perhaps you should read this book....it might help you file_555.jpg

I thought Crown should have beaten SCV and been much closer to Cadets and Bloo and all should have been closer to BD. Sorry, but that gap from the top was just silly and I don't buy it. Yes BD should have won but that margin is herd mentality judging at its best.

• Like 1