Carolina Crown 2014

I thought Crown should have beaten SCV and been much closer to Cadets and Bloo and all should have been closer to BD. Sorry, but that gap from the top was just silly and I don't buy it. Yes BD should have won but that margin is herd mentality judging at its best.

But did you SEE BD this year? They were just on a whole other level!

But if you subtract BD from the season, look at the corps left and which corps won which caption. They're pretty spread out. Now put BD ahead of everyone (but SCV in drums) and you see 0.1 here, 0.1 there, and it adds up.

See...I wonder why I get criticized George and other so badly simply because I am an alumi when you and others are basically saying similar things that I have been saying? I don't get it.

It's more of the way you're expressing your views rather than your views themselves. If you brought forth your views in a less harsh light (read: in a friendlier way), I'm sure the response to your posts would be similar to George's :smile:

• Like 1

Yes BD should have won but that margin is herd mentality judging at its best.

Well with that caustic indictment of the current DCI Judging community, my guess you are a big proponent of an immediate required thinning out of " the herd ". Would that be correct ? or do you want to walk back your comments that basically tells us that in your view the current DCI judge community have an innate inability to think for themselves when it comes to judging Corps in performance.

I don't think I will ever understand how this hornline did not get the Ott this year, but man were they impressive yet again. (Also compare BD's horn cam to Crown's shorter horncam. The sound quality of Crown's line is pretty big. Both used the same GoPros too I'm pretty sure).

• Like 1

But did you SEE BD this year? They were just on a whole other level!

But if you subtract BD from the season, look at the corps left and which corps won which caption. They're pretty spread out. Now put BD ahead of everyone (but SCV in drums) and you see 0.1 here, 0.1 there, and it adds up.

BD from a show construction standpoint was amazing and the performance level speaks for itself. With that said I understand the perfect scores for GE, but in the performance/execution subcaptions - especially visually, I don't buy it. Visually I'm not referring to the Color Guard (OMG they were on fire all Finals week) . . . . . the corps proper . . . . not everything was perfect. How could it be?

• Like 1

I don't think I will ever understand how this hornline did not get the Ott this year, but man were they impressive yet again. (Also compare BD's horn cam to Crown's shorter horncam. The sound quality of Crown's line is pretty big. Both used the same GoPros too I'm pretty sure).

I'm in agreement with your comments. However, I thought on finals night BD was an equal and could have beaten Crown. Prelims and semi-finals though . . . . No. Crown should have at least walked away with a shared piece of that hardware from championship week!!!

I did see BD and agree they should have won but Im just not buying winning by 3 points. I think the number management was ridiculous.

• Like 2

Right now, I see Crown in the vain of the Madison Scouts and Phantom Regiment. They were fortunate for a title here and there, but they did not sustain their ability to contend. The 2013 was great and I'm happy they received a championship, but can they sustain the ability to contend year after year? Right now, I don't see it this way. Time will tell, but if you can honestly tell me that right now Crown has the staff to contend (e.g., top three or four year end and year out) then I will say that you are reporting something untrue.

If that's your criteria, then Crown broke into that group for the first time in 2008 and only fell out of it this year, by one place. I wouldn't sound the alarms just yet.

Edited by CrownStarr
  • Like 1

Hi Nick,

The comment is more about historical longevity. 2008 to today isn't really that long.

I did see BD and agree they should have won but Im just not buying winning by 3 points. I think the number management was ridiculous.

Your " numbers management" seem a bit ridiculous too however... as the judges did not have BD " winning by 3 points ".

Edited by BRASSO