Carolina Crown 2014

AdamBob,

Actually, I don't really care what you think quite honestly. Your opinion is just that, YOURS. If what you say is true, it will not be the first nor the last time I am critiqued for my opinion and unless something has changed recently in the US constitution, I am still allowed to have. By the way, in truth, on this forum, only you and Tone Quality have tried to silence my opinion with a "blind loyalist" perspective. I am not that hard to find on this forum and if anyone from the corps wishes to address me, they can message and I will respond. See, I have a theory about posts like the one you put on the forum. The reason you did not message me personally and put this comment more in public is because you, and I speculate, that you would like to somehow embarrass me. I am too old to care about such tactics, if this was truly your intent. Again, as I said to Tone Quality, I will not address any message you put on the public forum when you write in such a manner about me. People have made fun of me before and it will pass, but the funny thing is, those people who do so, in many cases, see some validity in what I say.

Right now, I see Crown in the vain of the Madison Scouts and Phantom Regiment. They were fortunate for a title here and there, but they did not sustain their ability to contend. The 2013 was great and I'm happy they received a championship, but can they sustain the ability to contend year after year? Right now, I don't see it this way. Time will tell, but if you can honestly tell me that right now Crown has the staff to contend (e.g., top three or four year end and year out) then I will say that you are reporting something untrue. Right now, and please attempt to be honest, Mr. Harloff and his brass team, have brought the most consistency to Crown. The rest, no. As for being armchair, sure I am. I do not get PAID to design shows. How easily one forgets that staffs now get paid for these positions As much as I appreciate the "blind loyalist" perspective (e.g., anything they do cannot be criticized because I marched with them), I disagree with such an perspective. If you wish to discuss further, I will only in private messaging.

Dash Fieldpaint,

Do forget AdamBob. Technology and communication from 25 years ago and today is much different . I am not finding fault with anyone, but I have not kept up with the members from 90-92 and have received little to no communication from them in the years since. These things happen and again no blame is being assigned by me, but Crown seems MUCH different then than it is today. There were many, many growing pains back then.

I like the show this year. It's quite daring of them to try something like that.

I was watching it last night. I didn't care for the muffler part though.

In terms of the show design, Crown needs only one thing. Signposts. All they need to do is add three short snippets of pre-recorded astronaut dialogue as a signpost for each phase: launch, space and return home. These real astronaut quotations will help create the who/what/where platform. They can be made to sound distant and transmitted over NASA radio waves.

1) LAUNCH. (Played over Major Tom.)

“During the launch, it’s all a matter of height. That horizon reduces to a point, and then to nothing at all. Then the human dream of being like a god, without no confining horizon is finally ours.”

2) SPACE.

"The silence is deafening up here. The things that we share in our world are far more valuable than those which divide us."

3) HOME.

“Suddenly, from behind the rim of the moon emerges a sparkling blue and white jewel. It takes more than a moment to fully realize this is Earth . . . this is home. “

Boy you CALLED this!!

• Like 1

So - looking back on this - Crown should have pulled the trampolines out of the show very early on. I wonder how they would have placed if they had done so?

Also - in retrospect prominently featuring the percussion so much was a mistake

The show lost focused on the guard at times, which is usually one of the activities strongest

Crown is in a position like I feel BD was pre-94 or cadets were pre 2011 where they need to write the "do not redo list" for things they've done enough and don't include them once again in next year's show. Develop it early on and stick to it in the design meetings.

I'd put "opening with brass dancing and guard doing sequential rifle tosses", Mid-field horn/brass "mosh pits", leaning in and out of files during brass features, several of their common drill shapes all on this list for next year. Time to break the mold and head in a new direction...

I expect them to come roaring back next year and make some significant adjustments to the percussion program

Go Crown!!

See...I wonder why I get criticized George and other so badly simply because I am an alumi when you and others are basically saying similar things that I have been saying? I don't get it.

See...I wonder why I get criticized George and other so badly simply because I am an alumi when you and others are basically saying similar things that I have been saying? I don't get it.

Don't let it bother you. Stick to your guns.

lol.

• Like 1

What are the chances the snare that dropped/lost his drum just happened to be wearing a camera...

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=ffd26522-9a01-496b-a3ea-b57da266b448

What's cool about that video is that the judge who ran the drum back to him checked to make sure he was back in the game and gave him a little encouragement. It's a little different perspective than the intimidation factor often associated with field judging.

• Like 1