The only real concern I see is that the fade from dark red to black is so high up on the jacket, when you see them on the field the red is going to be lost. That might be part of the intent, though, to provide a mostly-neutral pallette for the guard designers to go to work.

At the same time, there looks to be enough RED on the shako, shoulders and upper arms that will give the corps the pop of color it needs (when horns are up in playing position), and that fade into black on the mid-to-lower body will add to that illusion of height thing that designers really like.

Edited by seen-it-all

I think Boston is a dark horse this year. What better uniform to define dark horse than this one.

I'm happy Boston has gone the uniform route as opposed to something I'd expect 15 people stuffed into a PT Cruiser to wear during a circus performance.

• Like 4

I have no objection to the new uniform, but it's worth considering that in the future, this uniform may itself be considered old fashioned.

im sure youre right eventually BUT Im sure there will be something new to replace it..or flip back to the old............although it is a very contemporary version of the old it still seems pretty classic...I wonder if the pants are going to be like Crowns last year but in black

Edited by GUARDLING

While the uniform is contemporary, I can't quite imagine BAC going the Crown route as far as pants are concerned. I do like the uniforms, and agree with the person who believes that BAC is a dark horse for the upcoming year. I think it's also fair to say the uniforms will be significant. Anytime BAC takes a risk, it is calculated, and pays off, perhaps the only recent exception I can think of would be white powder at prelims last year and the subsequent penalty.

While the uniform is contemporary, I can't quite imagine BAC going the Crown route as far as pants are concerned. I do like the uniforms, and agree with the person who believes that BAC is a dark horse for the upcoming year. I think it's also fair to say the uniforms will be significant. Anytime BAC takes a risk, it is calculated, and pays off, perhaps the only recent exception I can think of would be white powder at prelims last year and the subsequent penalty.

I actually wouldnt be surprised about the pants..its what uniform companies are making now and also easily replaced ..Im sure at a lower cost......could also be a body line thing...we'll see i guess

I think the tricky part of uniforms is not that great close up shot, it's the view of 150 of them from the box.

Up close this looks great.

As a huge Boston fan, alum, and family member I always take a deep breath when you take one of the most classic timeless looks and tinker, but it's a part of evolution like everything else.

To me, if it ain't Baroque, don't fix it, but I hope for the best. I've heard they're having a great winter. Love to get to the "Spring Fling" for the early peek.

• Like 1

I think the tricky part of uniforms is not that great close up shot, it's the view of 150 of them from the box.

Up close this looks great.

As a huge Boston fan, alum, and family member I always take a deep breath when you take one of the most classic timeless looks and tinker, but it's a part of evolution like everything else.

To me, if it ain't Baroque, don't fix it, but I hope for the best. I've heard they're having a great winter. Love to get to the "Spring Fling" for the early peek.

thats a good point..i wonder if the waldo will even be seen or will it just look like a faded blur..which can look ok also..kinda like a color progression............happens alot in the guard world when people had printed words on flags or very intricate designs and when spun all you see is color blocking and the words...not at all......yet people still do it

Edited by GUARDLING

A great new/old look! Can't wait to see the back view. Maybe more red on the back, which would offer some nice visual design options.

Maybe a bit of a surprise is in store...for instance, maybe some of the traditional white will be found there? Not much for balance, I grant you; however, it would still bring a bit of an "ahhhh" upon the first turn.

Not too bad but I can't believe another corps that had an iconic classy uniform felt the need to change it. Change for the sake of change is rarely good.

Not changing for the sake of not changing can also have its drawbacks. I think, when taking in the totality of the overall organizational makeover this groups has undertaken in recent years, a uniform makeover was not entirely unwarranted or inappropriate. They've been retrofitting their organization for the future, and this looks to be just a part of that process. And as anyone can see, it's still distinctively the Boston Crusaders, complete with branding on the actual uniform. Classic, yet modern. A nod to the past, yet an eye to the future. All good things, and still very much a "classy" look for the corps.

Why does everything have to be a dichotomy on here? Geesh. Can't there ever be some middle ground? It's so old. The world is not simply black and white; one side or the other side (Despite what Cadets say!). There are millions of shades of gray. :wall:

I happen to agree with seen-it-all on the specifics of the issue at hand. This new Boston uniform is bad ### and distinctively the Boston Crusaders, complete with the branding on the uniform and the hat. It's a nod to the past, with an eye towards the future. This is the way all corps should innovate their image and it's still a very classy look for the corps.

SFZFAN, this uniform change is, in my opinion, the best uniform change of all the finalists so far. Look at some of the other changes we've had:

Madison has been in uniform hell since getting away from their '88 - '02 design. Even the current design ( which I would guess are going to change this year) aren't terribly great. I bet they're going to get an updated and more grown up look for this year ( which is their planned "breakout" year to climb back into the elite corps ) which will coincide with their upgraded visual program and more sophisticated Kenton/Ellis show.

The post 2009 Cavalier uniform leaves a lot to be desired and I hope they change back to something a little more like the '84 - '09 base design; they could incorporate some Kelly Green of the '83 uniform ( for reference) with the '84 - '09 base design..... Anyway, that was not the best uniform change for this corps, but I understand what they were trying to do. I just really dislike the look.

BD changed their uniform around '94 away from the "Dickey", open style jacket, to the current Blue jacket with black collar, and various tweaks and half skirts and whatevers added each year... I haven't cared for many of the changes in their uniforms and I would guess that BD is also getting some new uniforms this year too. I mean they altered this uniform so much last year that they probably need new jackets. Why not go for another design too?

Bluecoats' 2013 uniform doesn't look as good as the 2007 - 2012 edition. I would guess they're not happy with the look and want to change too. Let's see.

Crown's going to change uniforms to match their show each season and some are going to be good, some are going to be bad... So they have no uniform legacy other than changing (like Star)... Expect another change.

SCV has had some good changes and some not-so-good changes, but nothing too horrible. I'd look for them to be different than 2013, so here's another corps that's probably going to have a new changed design.

Phantom has had some really bad uniforms years (Khaki '00-'02), but they've mostly found their way with black or white uniforms from around '87 - '99 & 2003 - 2013. I'd guess they're going to get some new jackets this year because of the damage they did to the uniform last year. They may not change the design much, but they're not likely to have one sleeve off the jacket for a Swan Lake themed show.... Expect a new uniform design. Maybe not a new color, but something new....

Blue Knights need the dots back on the entire front of the uniform circa pre 2000... The 2000+ uniforms are pretty generic, but not offensive. They just don't scream "Blue Knights" like the jacket with the dots did...

Some people do not like Spirit's new "Star Trek" uniform, but I do... I do see how some people miss the Delta on the front. I wouldn't expect them to change their uniform again, but here's another change...

Blue Stars have been going through uniforms designs and "corps image" quite a bit this decade and especially since competing in World Class and making WC finals. I don't think they've quite got their uniform down yet, but the 2013 design is close. Frankly their "blue and grey" color scheme (pre-2013) reminded me more of the old pre-2000 Blue Knights color scheme with white added than something Blue Stars should be wearing.

Anyway, my point is that Boston's uniform change this year looks pretty darned good compared to the rest of these changes that we've seen in the last several years from the other corps.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a bunch of uniform changes this year from quite a few other corps.

Stay tuned. Same Bat time... Same Bat channel...

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 4