What Defines Our Activity

71 members have voted

1. 1. "Drum and bugle corps" is PRIMARILY defined by _______.

• ...its unique instrumentation.
    • ...its unique heritage and legacy.
    • ...the unique experience it offers its participants.

The question is very simple. Which of the options primarily distinguishes our activity as unique?

Edit: How you interpret "drum and bugle corps" is completely left up to you; please let us know how you determined which metric to interpret the question with!

I contend that drum and bugle corps is the moniker applied to a summer music experience wherein participants work in close, sustained proximity on a product designed to be executed with a high degree of excellence (by virtue of the time spent preparing and the talent of the performers) while gaining experiences, lessons, and relationships that transcend the bounds of the physical activity itself.

Edited by CCorps

I don't really care to vote in this, but I did find myself thinking back on one of the great things I ever heard someone say about drum corps, which is most definitely as true today as it was way back when I marched (and most likely way before that as well).

Paraphrasing, it goes something like this:

"For those who know about drum corps, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't know about drum corps, no explanation is possible."

• Like 3

I contend that drum and bugle corps is the moniker applied to a summer music experience wherein participants work in close, sustained proximity on a product designed to be executed with a high degree of excellence (by virtue of the time spent preparing and the talent of the performers) while gaining experiences, lessons, and relationships that transcend the bounds of the physical activity itself.

Can you clarify how your description would not classify a summer-long intensive string orchestra camp as a drum and bugle corps?

• Like 1

To me, it's always been the brass and percussion instrumentation. That's how it was first explained to me, and has always made the most sense ever since. Some corps practice a lot; some don't. Some corps tour coast to coast; some never leave town. Some provide an educational experience to young kids, some just give adults a way to hang out. The experience, honestly, is variable among all of these groups. The instruments really are not.

Mike

• Like 4

The question is very simple. Which of the options primarily distinguishes our activity as unique?

You just likewise described a summer violin camp of 12 year olders who play kickball before dusk at their summer camp.., no ?

Edited by BRASSO

You just likewise described a summer violin camp of 12 year olders who play kickball before dusk at their summer camp.., no ?

And how many thousands of people do those 12 year olds get to perform in front of during the summer? I'm guessing a lot less than drum corps people perform to.

And how many thousands of people do those 12 year olds get to perform in front of during the summer? I'm guessing a lot less than drum corps people perform to.

What has " attendance " got to do with the definition of the violin camp, or for that matter DCI units ? Not a thing. The thread asks us what defines us as " unique ". Do you understand the OP's question to us ? If so, then you might not want to go down the road of having " attendance " as a factor that defines our " uniqueness ", as it will not have us arrive at a favorable place that we would want to emphasize re. the OP's quest to have us define our " uniqueness " . Additionally, to state to potential campers that participation in DCI will afford you the opportunity to perform before more people in the summer than 12 year old violiners will at their summer camp is not exactly a hot and unique selling point, you know ?

Edited by BRASSO

What has " attendance " got to do with the definition of the violin camp, or for that matter DCI units ? Not a thing. The thread asks us what defines us as " unique ". Do you understand the OP's question to us ? If so, then you might not want to go down the road of having " attendance " as a factor that defines our " uniqueness ", as it will not have us arrive at a favorable place that we would want to emphasize re. the OP's quest to have us define our " uniqueness " . Additionally, to state to potential campers that participation in DCI will afford you the opportunity to perform before more people in the summer than 12 year old violiners will at their summer camp is not exactly a hot and unique selling point, you know ?

The attendance at shows is a huge part of the experience. Performing in NFL stadiums to packed houses is incredible for the kids, and a big draw for them.

Yes, I understood his question. Why be so patronizing constantly?

• Like 3

Truth be told, I never worried about the definition of drum corps. When I was marching, I was just in it, like a fish in water. I am not sure why there is such a strong need here to find the one "true" definition of drum corps. Only in mathematics can you get "true" definitions. Everything else is variables and subjectivity. Like: What is love? What is art? What makes pizza so good?

But if pressed, I would say drum corps is, in no particular order: the drums, the brass, the guard, the choreography. The level of commitment, expertise and complexity far beyond that found in other, um, musical marching activities. Oh, and the summer, the touring , the competitions, the camaraderie. And the rabid fans and roaring crowds, here to see us as the main event, not a half-time show.

How is that?

• Like 6