What Defines Our Activity

71 members have voted

1. 1. "Drum and bugle corps" is PRIMARILY defined by _______.

• ...its unique instrumentation.
    • ...its unique heritage and legacy.
    • ...the unique experience it offers its participants.

The business model of Blue Devils with BD Entertainment and System Blue as revenue sources: great. The business model of Teal Sound relying mainly on projected dues from performing members as a revenue source; not so great. The number of corps running their corps as a business like BD, 2 or 3. The number of corps running their corps off of mainly performer dues like Teal Sound, 20 or 30. I am not cynical; I am a realist.

so then the other corps need to step up up their game

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 1

And if you are actually looking out for the best interest of the kid at that piont you say the following as early in the camp season as possible: “ No. but instead, for your best interest, here are names, numbers, and contacts of staff and corps where you can not only receive the same type of qualitative camp training we have here but you will actually have the opportunity to receive experience on something we cannot provide to you; which is diving head first into the rigors of touring and performing all summer.” 'That', as opposed to having that kid returning again, and again, and again to your camp, after camp, after camp as a tier 2, is actually looking out for the best interest of the kid!!!!

again...you think the kids actually care about these corps?

No. As we've seen time and time again, kids have their corps, or their staffs that they want to march for. No one else matters.

I know of corps that have handed out info for several other corps when making cuts, and even followed up with those corps to see if those kids showed up. the answer was no. Why? The kids wanted their dream corps/staff.

If life hadn't gotten in the way, I wanted nothing more than to drum for Mark Thurston at Crossmen for my age out. I had several other options around, but it was Bones or bust if I was doing DCI.

Life got in the way, so I went back to Westshore, where luckily, Thurston wrote the book and showed up from time to time.

You mean like how BD and Cadets have won in every decade, no matter the instrumentation and rule changes?

Cadets won in the 70's?

Cadets won in the 70's?

4/5 isn't bad.

honestly...that staff member is being very honest with that statement.

No; the staff member is not really being honest in that statement. The statement is more akin to a MIT Math professor telling a potential student who is attending seminars at MIT that while they could apply and attend the University of Michigan – Ann Arbor, they had better stay in the seminar loop at MIT and hope to get in because the MIT instruction at the seminars is far superior than actually going to Michigan for a Math Degree.

again...you think the kids actually care about these corps?

No. As we've seen time and time again, kids have their corps, or their staffs that they want to march for. No one else matters.

I know of corps that have handed out info for several other corps when making cuts, and even followed up with those corps to see if those kids showed up. the answer was no. Why? The kids wanted their dream corps/staff.

Your implication here is that say when Rennick was at Crown, prior to him becoming a ‘ring winning star’ at Regiment, many drummers stayed away from Crown at that time because they were dead set on getting into BD under the instruction of Johnson. Good grief; how sad.

many kids today would rather hold out hope for that spot with the name corps, than go to an Open Class corps.

This is called "I want to get immediate gratification of what I want when I want it or I will stay home in my PJs playing Nintendo". And that is where we adults have failed to teach our youth the honor of working their way through the grind to reach delayed gratification goals, and we have allowed many of them to just become narcissistic cry-babies.

Your implication here is that say when Rennick was at Crown, prior to him becoming a ‘ring winning star’ at Regiment, many drummers stayed away from Crown at that time because they were dead set on getting into BD under the instruction of Johnson. Good grief; how sad.

Makes some sense though. Some kids only get into DCI based on the staff. They'll travel across country and leave old corps for a chance to work with someone. Once Rennick became a hot commodity, people would start traveling to be in his corps. When he left Phantom, most of the drumline followed him to SCV. ScoJo has always been someone that kids want to work with.

Makes some sense though. Some kids only get into DCI based on the staff. They'll travel across country and leave old corps for a chance to work with someone. Once Rennick became a hot commodity, people would start traveling to be in his corps. When he left Phantom, most of the drumline followed him to SCV

I can understand the mentality of going to audition for a particular corps for a particular staff member as a first choice; or once you are a perfomer under that staff member following that person to another corps. What I do not understand is the menatlity of, "I want to march just under (caption head name); and if I cannot do that, I would rather just stay home and play Nintendo."

ScoJo has always been someone that kids want to work with.

True in the sense that most drummers in BD wanted to work with ScoJo when he was a tech under Float; just like most drummers in BD wanted to work with Rennick when he was a tech under ScoJo. But that is not really my point. Again, my point is that many kids let go from BD when Rennick was Caption Head at Crown took the attitude, "I want to march for ScoJo or stay home". Just like kids today let go from SCV would say, "I want to march for Rennick or stay home". There are plenty of up and coming instructors right now at other corps who are going to be the next Scojo, the next Rennick, and kids can learn from them right now instead of choosing to stay at home. 'That' is what I find to be sad.

Edited by Stu