What Defines Our Activity

71 members have voted

1. 1. "Drum and bugle corps" is PRIMARILY defined by _______.

• ...its unique instrumentation.
    • ...its unique heritage and legacy.
    • ...the unique experience it offers its participants.

Also, "Adults acting like children."

and people wonder why most ...............................YES MOST actively involved think DCP is the home of the Loon!..........it's sad because it's not true. Like in most things the squeeky wheel...well you know the rest. :mellow:

• Like 2

Also, "Adults acting like children."

Perhaps on occasion, true. But the G7 adults, that by most unbiased observers would conclude were acting like indolent and petulent children pulling a tantrum ,eventually were brought to their senses by the other more sensible adults involved in DCI.

Edited by BRASSO

Perhaps on occasion, true. But the G7 adults, that by most unbiased observers would conclude were acting like indolent and petulent children pulling a tantrum ,eventually were brought to their senses by the other more sensible adults involved in DCI.

:worthy:

And at the supreme risk of making myself to look the total idiot...

Dont't fret; I tend to do that all the time while wearing Groucho Nose and Glasses along with Bunny Ears. Sort of gotten used to it.

...I say that your synopsis makes absolute sense. There is no way in Hades that I could have possibly stated it better. You have my kudos, Sir.

Thanks for the kind words, I get lucky sometimes. But just wait; rest assured that CCorps, The D-Ray (if he ever surfaces from the deep again), and others will always be there to tell me that I make absolutely no sense to them whatsoever; especially Guardling who is on a roll yelling out at me like Katherin Hepburn, “Come here, Norman. Hurry up. The Loons! The Loons!” :satisfied:

4/5 isn't bad.

Cadets didnt win DCI in the 70's. they were out of finals more than in.

No; the staff member is not really being honest in that statement. The statement is more akin to a MIT Math professor telling a potential student who is attending seminars at MIT that while they could apply and attend the University of Michigan – Ann Arbor, they had better stay in the seminar loop at MIT and hope to get in because the MIT instruction at the seminars is far superior than actually going to Michigan for a Math Degree.

actually, the staff member is being very honest.

Why? Look at the rankings year in and year out.

Your implication here is that say when Rennick was at Crown, prior to him becoming a ‘ring winning star’ at Regiment, many drummers stayed away from Crown at that time because they were dead set on getting into BD under the instruction of Johnson. Good grief; how sad.

well...yes.

here's an example I lived. In 1998-2000 a few staff from Westshore went to Bucs, and Bucs won drums 3 years in a year in DCA. Due to a lot of insanity, most of the 2000 Bucs staff landed at Empire in 2001. Several members went to Empire with them, despite the fact that had they stayed at Bucs, IMO, they win DCA. In fact if you look at the recaps, Percussion cost Bucs the ring.

After 02, a lot of that staff went to Cabs.....and so did several members.

It happens. I guarantee with a few drum trophies more people want to drum for Rennick now than they did in the Crown or VK days. I know people who never considered Blue Stars until Aungst signed on.

and if you don't believe me about Rennick, look at SCV's percussion in the years between Casella and Rennick. Name has a lot to do with where kids want to go.Be it corps name or staff name.

This is called "I want to get immediate gratification of what I want when I want it or I will stay home in my PJs playing Nintendo". And that is where we adults have failed to teach our youth the honor of working their way through the grind to reach delayed gratification goals, and we have allowed many of them to just become narcissistic cry-babies.

it's also called there arent nearly as many corps to chose from, the old local ties that bind are long gone. You pine for a return of the old days and ways, but Stu, that ship has sailed in so many facets of life, not just drum corps.

I can understand the mentality of going to audition for a particular corps for a particular staff member as a first choice; or once you are a perfomer under that staff member following that person to another corps. What I do not understand is the menatlity of, "I want to march just under (caption head name); and if I cannot do that, I would rather just stay home and play Nintendo."

True in the sense that most drummers in BD wanted to work with ScoJo when he was a tech under Float; just like most drummers in BD wanted to work with Rennick when he was a tech under ScoJo. But that is not really my point. Again, my point is that many kids let go from BD when Rennick was Caption Head at Crown took the attitude, "I want to march for ScoJo or stay home". Just like kids today let go from SCV would say, "I want to march for Rennick or stay home". There are plenty of up and coming instructors right now at other corps who are going to be the next Scojo, the next Rennick, and kids can learn from them right now instead of choosing to stay at home. 'That' is what I find to be sad.

Just like a sports team that sucks doesnt draw crowds.

oh wait thats been happening forever

• Like 2