What Defines Our Activity

71 members have voted

1. 1. "Drum and bugle corps" is PRIMARILY defined by _______.

• ...its unique instrumentation.
    • ...its unique heritage and legacy.
    • ...the unique experience it offers its participants.

When has DCI ever 'packed the house' at any NFL Stadium? Most I have ever seen in the stands at an NFL stadium is maybe 1/4 of full capacity, with all of the audience on just one side, and the other 3/4 of the stadium with completely empty seats. So, again I ask, when has DCI ever 'packed the house' at any NFL Stadium?

packed is relative......you knew exactly what he meant i think my friend :tounge2: OMG do we see pages and pages and pages now on comparisons on what sport,or art venue "PACKS" a venue or definition of packed......seems like no matter what the thread the conversations are all starting to sound the same....lol.....OH WELL....its all good.........................well maybe not all....lol :augen51:

Edited by GUARDLING

DCI does provide great experiences for youth; always has; still does; and as far as I can tell it will continue. But is it so ‘unique’ that we can actually distinguish it as being that far apart from other intense youth activates and educational experiences? Hmmmmm……

DCI never had unique instrumentation; not when instrumentation was similar to VFW, not when instrumentation was similar to DCA, and not even now when, with the exception of ww, instrumentation is similar to BOA. So… No to the first choice concerning if that aspect ‘distinguishes’ DCI from other niche youth activities.

DCI does have its own legacy and heritage; but all niche activities have their own legacy and heritage. So… No to the second choice concerning if that aspect ‘distinguishes’ DCI uniqueness from other niche youth activities.

DCI provides many wonderful experiences to youth. However, there are many, many, many activities available to youth which require intensity, work ethic, responsibility, travel, performance, ad infinitum. So… No to the third choice concerning if that aspect ‘distinguishes’ DCI uniqueness from other niche youth activities.

My Conclusion: DCI is wonderful, but it not that different from other unique activities which provide similar life experiences for youth.

packed is relative......you knew exactly what he meant i think my friend :tounge2: OMG do we see pages and pages and pages now on comparisons on what sport,or art venue "PACKS" a venue or definition of packed......seems like no matter what the thread the conversations are all starting to sound the same....lol.....OH WELL....its all good.........................well maybe not all....lol :augen51:

No... packed is not 'relative'. An 80,000 seat stadium with only 30, 000 in attendance is not anywhere close to being a packed stadium. Unless, of course, in your own relative state of mind you can teleport the empty seats out of the stadium and then mind bend the one side containing the fans into encircling the field. But least I forget, in your way of seeing things, that is pretty much accurate.

Edited by Stu

DCI does provide great experiences for youth; always has; still does; and as far as I can tell it will continue. But is it so ‘unique’ that we can actually distinguish it as being that far apart from other intense youth activates and educational experiences? Hmmmmm……

DCI never had unique instrumentation; not when instrumentation was similar to VFW, not when instrumentation was similar to DCA, and not even now when, with the exception of ww, instrumentation is similar to BOA. So… No to the first choice concerning if that aspect ‘distinguishes’ DCI from other niche youth activities.

DCI does have its own legacy and heritage; but all niche activities have their own legacy and heritage. So… No to the second choice concerning if that aspect ‘distinguishes’ DCI uniqueness from other niche youth activities.

DCI provides many wonderful experiences to youth. However, there are many, many, many activities available to youth which require intensity, work ethic, responsibility, travel, performance, ad infinitum. So… No to the third choice concerning if that aspect ‘distinguishes’ DCI uniqueness from other niche youth activities.

My Conclusion: DCI is wonderful, but it not that different from other unique activities which provide similar life experiences for youth.

which could add to the argument on WHY the activity #s are different from BITD......................not show design or instruments or dancing...or non marching tymps..or no clor pre's some of the many reasons people like to blame the shift in the activity :smile:

No... packed is not 'relative'. An 80,000 seat stadium with only 20, 000 in attendance is not anywhere close to being a packed stadium. Unless, of course, in your own relative state of mind you can teleport the empty seats out of the stadium and then mind bend the one side containing the fans into encircling the field. But least I forget, in your way of seeing things, that is pretty much accurate.

No if I normally have x number and then have equal or more...i see it as packed..i dont think he said filling every seat.............now didnt I say that the conversation....like all would turn into defining opinions or comparisons.....same ole same ole......lol..it s ok all good....somtimes the world isnt taken all literally..............or so seriously...........you knew EXACTLY how he meant it :wink:

Edited by GUARDLING

No... packed is not 'relative'.

Yes it is. DCI doesn't sell tickets to the end zone seats or seats in the back stands (and not many people I can think of would pay for them if they did), so who the heck cares if those seats are empty? The concert side of the stadium is what was clearly implied, but I guess we now need to go through eleven or twelve pages of people arguing what the true meaning of "packed" is. Ridiculous.

• Like 5

...aaaaaand Stu hijacks another thread.

• Like 5

Guardling and Seen: So, what you both are saying is that if I rent out the Dallas Cowboys Stadium, which holds over 100,000, for a music event, but I only print 10,000 tickets to sell; and if all10,000 are sold and all 10,000 attend the event, the 'stadium', again the 'stadium' itself would be 'packed out'? Even though 90,000 seats remain empty? It would be correct to say the event was a 'sold' out because only 10,000 tickets were available, but it would be false to claim the stadium itself as being anywhere close to being 'packed' out because the stadium itself would be 90% empty!!!

Guardling and Seen: So, what you both are saying is that if I rent out the Dallas Cowboys Stadium, which holds over 100,000, for a music event, but I only print 10,000 tickets to sell; and if all10,000 are sold and all 10,000 attend the event, the 'stadium', again the 'stadium' itself would be 'packed out'? Even though 90,000 seats remain empty? It would be correct to say the event was a 'sold' out because only 10,000 tickets were available, but it would be false to claim the stadium itself as being anywhere close to being 'packed' out because the stadium itself would be 90% empty!!!

well then by your definition drum corps has NEVER in a arena or pro ball field "packed".....silly silly silly............again argument for the hell of it....you know stu exactly how he meant it

Edited by GUARDLING

how many singing artists have said no matter how successful their records are.....there is nothing like performing in front of even the smallest audience . Why do famous stand up comics..like leno go every week to small clubs......nothing like the human interaction

Performing in front of 98 people in a venue that holds 100 is a blast for the performer as well as the audience. However, performing in front of the same 98 people in a venue that holds 5,000 is a huge bummer for the performer and for the audience. 'There' is relativity for ya!!!!