What Defines Our Activity

71 members have voted

1. 1. "Drum and bugle corps" is PRIMARILY defined by _______.

• ...its unique instrumentation.
    • ...its unique heritage and legacy.
    • ...the unique experience it offers its participants.

Performing in front of 98 people in a venue that holds 100 is a blast for the performer as well as the audience. However, performing in front of the same 98 people in a venue that holds 5,000 is a huge bummer for the performer and for the audience. 'There' is relativity for ya!!!!

fine you win.....unbelievable.......happy?...now we can move on instead of like said above we dont need pages of the nonsense..........i also thinking in general....to avoid the boredom of the same issue and KNOWING where its headed once again..we just dont respond.....its an easier way to shut it down then waiting for a mod to do it...........im gonna try....as hard as that may be.....lol :augen51:.....................you knew how he meant it Stu

Edited by GUARDLING

well then by your definition drum corps has NEVER in a arena or pro ball field "packed".....silly silly silly............again argument for the hell of it....you know stu exactly how he meant it

See my post #30 because the 'energy' a crowd generates certainly is effected by the size of the venue. And this has proven to be true in DCI!!! The high 'energy' 14,000 fans have at a 20,000 seat college venue (i.e.15,000 seats on the single-tier home side and 5,000 seats on the visitor side) is far greater than the so-so energy created by 20,000 fans in a huge 80,000 seat circumference three-tier indoor pro stadium.

Please do not feed the troll.

• Like 2

The Ohio State University marching band performs in front of 100,000 people plus at every home game, which is more than corps do in a season, but that doesn't make them a drum corps. They even have very similar instrumentation now. That's somewhat of a similar experience, but I wouldn't us it to define an activity. That's just me though.

The second someone starts high-stepping like that, things will get weird.

When has DCI ever 'packed the house' at any NFL Stadium? Most I have ever seen in the stands at an NFL stadium is maybe 1/4 of full capacity, with all of the audience on just one side, and the other 3/4 of the stadium with completely empty seats. So, again I ask, when has DCI ever 'packed the house' at any NFL Stadium?

Do you ever take anything not 100% literally? They've packed the home sides of stadiums multiple times, check out Finals from 2005 or 2001.

• Like 1

Do you ever take anything not 100% literally? They've packed the home sides of stadiums multiple times, check out Finals from 2005 or 2001.

If someone claimed DCI has packed, as in standing room only, the home side of 'University' stadiums I would agree. But the claim was 'packing the house' of a NFL stadium not 'packing' the home side of a stadium. Moreover, I have been to DCI shows, including Finals, held at pro stadiums in Montreal, Atlanta, San Antonio, Boston, and Indy. Those stadiums have never been close to 'packing the house'; and while the home sides on ocassion have been rather full, they have never actually 'packed', as in standing room only, the entire home side of any of those pro stadiums either. That is also why the crowd 'energy' level at 2008 Bloomington was far greater than any crowd energy ever produced at Lucas, Alamo, etc...

Edited by Stu

If someone claimed DCI has packed, as in standing room only, the home side of 'University' stadiums I would agree. But the claim was 'packing the house' of a NFL stadium not 'packing' the home side of a stadium. Moreover, I have been to DCI shows, including Finals, held at pro stadiums in Montreal, Atlanta, San Antonio, Boston, and Indy. Those stadiums have never been close to 'packing the house'; and while the home sides on ocassion have been rather full, they have never actually 'packed', as in standing room only, the entire home side of any of those pro stadiums either.

Eh, it looks packed enough from the field. Even Bloomington looked pretty packed from the field. I didn't go around counting empty seats, but it looks pretty full when I watch it on video

Eh, it looks packed enough from the field. Even Bloomington looked pretty packed from the field. I didn't go around counting empty seats, but it looks pretty full when I watch it on video

Bloomington felt packed due to stadium configuration; it also created way more crowd energy than any show at Lucas because of that configuration. That is actually my point.

Bloomington felt packed due to stadium configuration; it also created way more crowd energy than any show at Lucas because of that configuration. That is actually my point.

Probably also because the entire end zone was being torn out and rebuilt. So a large portion of the stadium was closed off, squeezing everyone into a smaller area.