Spice up the Offseason...Ideas Anyone ?

Warning there is some Soap Box to this post :) but the main purpose is the get a conversation going....

(Wrote this quick so not overly organized…J)

So as we sit here almost ninety days until the first DCI show of 2014 I can't help but think how incredibly boring the off-season is. There has to be something in this day an age that corps (DCI) can do to spice things up and get people excited for the upcoming season. With technology there are so many opportunities to be interactive. As a 'Music first' type of drum corps fan my suggestions/ideas always seem to revolve around hearing some sound bites of the upcoming seasons show. Not sure why this changed but it seems like most corps have gone in to complete secrecy mode. I understand the copyright thing...but I can't imagine this would prevent corps from posting little tid bits of show material. How bout charging some coin to view/listen to more content? I am sure corps wouldn't mind making a few dollars. Not too long ago there used to be the pre-season movie theater event. During those presentations we saw and heard material for the upcoming seasons show.

Stealing an Idea:

I don't remember the exact cable channel but around Halloween time this particular cable channel runs Horror Movie Marathons leading up to Halloween Day. They also have a "Make a One Minute Horror Film" movie contest for anyone who wants to enter. Why not try this with the corps? Hey Bluecoats, What's the best minute of your 2014 show? Maybe set it up for fan voting and have a small prize. Maybe have several 1 minute video contests featuring each section of the corps (Brass, Colorguard....etc.). Even the best cooks/food. Maybe have someone travel from camp to camp or just coordinate updates and news from each corps WC and OC....Dan Potter...you out there :)

I am tired of reading generic camp reports and seeing the same old pictures (Members with name tags using music stands and eating cornflakes)

Brasso..you out there? :)

Thoughts...ideas?

Consolidation of Information; Maybe it's me....

This maybe a bit of a culprit (At least for me). Corps (And business) most likely have a website, facebook page, twitter..etc. I would love to say I am dedicated enough to check all of these resources for all of the drum corps out there....but I don't. So, I might be missing stuff and really can't blame anyone for that but myself. Although I feel the DCI webpage should be a central news source.

BTW....Kudos to the Cadets for featuring live online run-thrus of their show from Camps in the offseason.

Corps do something....just do something that "ENGAGES" your "FANS"!!!

Get out of secrecy mode…engage your fans and maybe even make some money along the way...

Thoughts. Ideas ?? BTW lets try to keep this from going off the rails in to a heated debate..

I miss that pre-season theater show.... wish that could happen again.

• Like 2

Not going off the rails, but imo we do not need 24/7 information from each and every corps. Are we are now living in a culture so immersed in immediate gratification and every waking moment has to be structured for the here and now immediate present or we get bored? During the DCI off season I say watch a sunrise, read a book, camp for a weekend by a river with no mobile phone reception, play with your kids, play with your dog, learn a new hobby, plant a garden and nurture it with patience, …. And let the corps do their thing without us in the off season so that we can have great anticipation to receive delayed gratification during their summer performances.

• Like 4

That's what makes it so fun when it starts, because you go almost nine months without seeing or hearing a thing in most cases. I LOVE seeing a show for the first time, I don't want to already know what's coming. There's something about that that's just special. Now stuff that doesn't involve the upcoming season, IE the theatr cast of fan favorites I'm down for, but there is just something about that nine month wait that makes the following 3 so much sweeter.

Not going off the rails, but imo we do not need 24/7 information from each and every corps. Are we are now living in a culture so immersed in immediate gratification and every waking moment has to be structured for the here and now immediate present or we get bored? During the DCI off season I say watch a sunrise, read a book, camp for a weekend by a river with no mobile phone reception, play with your kids, play with your dog, learn a new hobby, plant a garden and nurture it with patience, …. And let the corps do their thing without us in the off season so that we can have great anticipation to receive delayed gratification during their summer performances.

I agree with you. I appreciate when corps feel the need to share their design process, give monthly updates, etc. on their progress but I don't need it. I know how many logistical issues there are annually getting tour ready, dealing with camps, etc. I also know how much a show design/concept can change during the process of seeing what works. I don't need corps to push out information/programming all year long.

I also wonder if there are a lot of things for fans to "find" if they're really looking. A simple search shows Cavaliers have their own Youtube channel with several videos of this season. Most corps have a Youtube channel, though I don't think most of them post a lot during this time of year. I don't know if corps have their own specific subscription programs, or how much they send just to donors, alumni, etc. I'm sure the corps also have social media pages to follow as well.

Also, I think most corps have camps w/performances on Sundays if people want to see what the local corps is doing (not that it helps if your a Scouts fan living in AZ and want to see what they're up to).

But I'm with ya on this one, Stu: I'm okay not seeing a ton of programming this time of year (especially if the programming I see June-August is outstanding)

• Like 1

Warning there is some Soap Box to this post :) but the main purpose is the get a conversation going....

(Wrote this quick so not overly organized…J)

So as we sit here almost ninety days until the first DCI show of 2014 I can't help but think how incredibly boring the off-season is. There has to be something in this day an age that corps (DCI) can do to spice things up and get people excited for the upcoming season. With technology there are so many opportunities to be interactive. As a 'Music first' type of drum corps fan my suggestions/ideas always seem to revolve around hearing some sound bites of the upcoming seasons show. Not sure why this changed but it seems like most corps have gone in to complete secrecy mode. I understand the copyright thing...but I can't imagine this would prevent corps from posting little tid bits of show material. How bout charging some coin to view/listen to more content? I am sure corps wouldn't mind making a few dollars. Not too long ago there used to be the pre-season movie theater event. During those presentations we saw and heard material for the upcoming seasons show.

Stealing an Idea:

I don't remember the exact cable channel but around Halloween time this particular cable channel runs Horror Movie Marathons leading up to Halloween Day. They also have a "Make a One Minute Horror Film" movie contest for anyone who wants to enter. Why not try this with the corps? Hey Bluecoats, What's the best minute of your 2014 show? Maybe set it up for fan voting and have a small prize. Maybe have several 1 minute video contests featuring each section of the corps (Brass, Colorguard....etc.). Even the best cooks/food. Maybe have someone travel from camp to camp or just coordinate updates and news from each corps WC and OC....Dan Potter...you out there :)

I am tired of reading generic camp reports and seeing the same old pictures (Members with name tags using music stands and eating cornflakes)

Brasso..you out there? :)

Thoughts...ideas?

Consolidation of Information; Maybe it's me....

This maybe a bit of a culprit (At least for me). Corps (And business) most likely have a website, facebook page, twitter..etc. I would love to say I am dedicated enough to check all of these resources for all of the drum corps out there....but I don't. So, I might be missing stuff and really can't blame anyone for that but myself. Although I feel the DCI webpage should be a central news source.

BTW....Kudos to the Cadets for featuring live online run-thrus of their show from Camps in the offseason.

Corps do something....just do something that "ENGAGES" your "FANS"!!!

Get out of secrecy mode…engage your fans and maybe even make some money along the way...

Thoughts. Ideas ?? BTW lets try to keep this from going off the rails in to a heated debate..

Hi Trip, I personally use the off season to decompress so the new season starts fresh. I don't need to know so much about shows at this point, and I particulalry don't want the unending baiting by some participants on DCP, about upcoming shows, that in reality few here on DCP really KNOW about. I try to limit my visits to DCP and really limit my joining in "discussions". I have no burning desire to know who's doing what, who we all think will win and why who will s(t)ink and why and what corps are doing wrong; It goes on and on especially on and mostly it results in angry rhetoric back and forth. Not how I want my offseason to be. Life is too short. I don't need to read all the "profound" opinions about everything.

I understand that the anxiety builds this time of year but personally I have plenty of things to do that keep me balanced with the use of my time until the season actually begins. I hope you will too. Relax and enjoy the off season. There is plenty of interesting activity on this forum later as it builds to a fever pitch in August.

Find a beer that represents each corps/area they're from, and drink your way to the first show. If you group Open Class in, you can probably do one beer a day to get you through Memorial Day, and adding DCA can get you through to Opening Day

• Like 2

Hi Trip, I personally use the off season to decompress so the new season starts fresh. I don't need to know so much about shows at this point, and I particulalry don't want the unending baiting by some participants on DCP, about upcoming shows, that in reality few here on DCP really KNOW about. I try to limit my visits to DCP and really limit my joining in "discussions". I have no burning desire to know who's doing what, who we all think will win and why who will s(t)ink and why and what corps are doing wrong; It goes on and on especially on and mostly it results in angry rhetoric back and forth. Not how I want my offseason to be. Life is too short. I don't need to read all the "profound" opinions about everything.

I understand that the anxiety builds this time of year but personally I have plenty of things to do that keep me balanced with the use of my time until the season actually begins. I hope you will too. Relax and enjoy the off season. There is plenty of interesting activity on this forum later as it builds to a fever pitch in August.

Thanks for the responses people but truthfully it's not turning in to the dialog I was hoping for.

It's absolutely fine if you only care about what's happening with the corps and their programs during the three month season. The part I am trying to spark is it doesn't have to be a three month activity. Instead there can be phases. Maybe you only want to be involved with the three month season phase. Maybe you want to be involved with part of the offseason and the three month season phase. I get the concept that too much of a good thing might no longer good. But I truly believe corps could get more people out to attend shows if they "Promote" what's going on. Find some new fans in the offseason.

I bet a couple of you probably talk about baseball when taking down your Christmas decorations. The sports news turns hard and fast (I am in the NY metro area market) towards baseball as soon as football season concludes even though there are weeks and weeks of winter remaining. Its buzz. Buzz is more effective (IMO) with some tidbits feed along the way. Buzz is not as effective if you unload everything in one shot..IMO. Think about a movie trailer...there are probably a couple out there now "Promoting" for their movie which is scheduled to be release in August 2014. They are getting people talking big time about what's to come (And generating sales). If you have nothing...you can't spead the word (Buzz) to others to say "Man...wait til you see/hear this....the whole thing is going to be amazing

Here is an example of what I am trying to get at. Someone hears or sees some things from the Boston Crusaders about there upcoming seasons show. The viewer/listener is so stoked about Boston’s upcoming season they go to Boston’s website and buy something…BINGO!!

So again I pose the question....what can the corps and activity do to engage drum corps fans (And new hopefuls) more during the offseason?

BTW:

I am big boy...I can certainly wait for the season to start. Been through the process for many many years. I have a ton (To many actually) hobbies I enjoy. They are even broken down in to winter and warm weather hobbies. Thanks for everyone’s thoughts recommendations on how to get through the offseason though. :)

Edited by Triple Forte

I think the element of secrecy adds an element of surprise to the season when you do get to see the shows. Sometimes more information can be damaging to the perception of a show when it is finally seen, as people have been formulating in their mind what they think, and expect, to see/hear when they see the product on the field.

I miss that pre-season theater show.... wish that could happen again.

If you are referring to the "Classic Countdowns" then I am with you as well. It was nice to go see some older shows again in the theater during the off-season. I still would like to see a classic countdown that has a third of the time best drum solos/break/feature/whatever we call them now, a third best openers or closers, and a third best ballads. Just give us a sampling of some of the "BEST" things from drum corps over the years.

Thanks for the responses people but truthfully it's not turning in to the dialog I was hoping for.

It's absolutely fine if you only care about what's happening with the corps and their programs during the three month season. The part I am trying to spark is it doesn't have to be a three month activity. Instead there can be phases. Maybe you only want to be involved with the three month season phase. Maybe you want to be involved with part of the offseason and the three month season phase. I get the concept that too much of a good thing might no longer good. But I truly believe corps could get more people out to attend shows if they "Promote" what's going on. Find some new fans in the offseason.

I bet a couple of you probably talk about baseball when taking down your Christmas decorations. The sports news turns hard and fast (I am in the NY metro area market) towards baseball as soon as football season concludes even though there are weeks and weeks of winter remaining. Its buzz. Buzz is more effective (IMO) with some tidbits feed along the way. Buzz is not as effective if you unload everything in one shot..IMO. Think about a movie trailer...there are probably a couple out there now "Promoting" for their movie which is scheduled to be release in August 2014. They are getting people talking big time about what's to come (And generating sales). If you have nothing...you can't spead the word (Buzz) to others to say "Man...wait til you see/hear this....the whole thing is going to be amazing

Here is an example of what I am trying to get at. Someone hears or sees some things from the Boston Crusaders about there upcoming seasons show. The viewer/listener is so stoked about Boston’s upcoming season they go to Boston’s website and buy something…BINGO!!

So again I pose the question....what can the corps and activity do to engage drum corps fans (And new hopefuls) more during the offseason?

BTW:

I am big boy...I can certainly wait for the season to start. Been through the process for many many years. I have a ton (To many actually) hobbies I enjoy. They are even broken down in to winter and warm weather hobbies. Thanks for everyone’s thoughts recommendations on how to get through the offseason though. :)

TF,

I understand what you are saying. However, this has been attempted before, and it didn't move the needle in interest that is tangilbe (money - donations, souvenir sales, etc.). It may have created some online buzz, but that's all it was. There is a cost associated with doing what you propose. If there are not tangible, measureable results, it's tough to justify the expense in the challenging world of non-profit fundraising.

Have you thought about offering your services for free to a corps to do the things you propose?