Spice up the Offseason...Ideas Anyone ?

Though I appreciate this idea, I prefer having an offseason of DCI, as well as having an offseason with many other activities.

In the DCI offseason, picture a blank football field with its green grass ...... and let your imagination wander.

I like how you think. I never did like imagining a football field with a foot of snow covering it. But I keep looking at grass covered football fields without Drum Corps on it now, and my mind begins to wander to fall football.

June can't come fast enoough.

To get back to the original poster's question, I guess it really depends on where you are within this activity. My kids ended with The Academy last summer, my daughter went straight to band camp. My son was teching with two local high school marching bands. Their seasons went all the way to the weekend before Thanksgiving. From that point on it has been auditions with two different corps that are not local, my son's winter guard and still teching the two high school guards, and my daughter going to call backs and weekend camps every month with weekly assignments on SmartMusic. Our house has been non-stop marching arts since August! My wife and are are looking forward to the peace and quiet for a month when move ins start on May 23rd, then we will be back at it with our first show in Oceanside! A month away from drum corps will be a nice break!

So as we sit here almost ninety days until the first DCI show of 2014 I can't help but think how incredibly boring the off-season is. There has to be something in this day an age that corps (DCI) can do to spice things up and get people excited As a 'Music first' type of drum corps fan my suggestions/ideas always seem to revolve around hearing some sound bites of the upcoming seasons show. Not sure why this changed but it seems like most corps have gone in to complete secrecy mode. I understand the copyright thing...but I can't imagine this would prevent corps from posting little tid bits of show material. How bout charging some coin to view/listen to more content? I am sure corps wouldn't mind making a few dollars. Not too long ago there used to be the pre-season movie theater event. During those presentations we saw and heard material for the upcoming seasons show.

Stealing an Idea:

I am tired of reading generic camp reports and seeing the same old pictures (Members with name tags using music stands and eating cornflakes)

Brasso..you out there? :)

Thoughts...ideas?

Consolidation of Information; Maybe it's me....

Cool Story, Bro... and we're simpatico on this topic. Unless, you're a parent of kids that currently split time between Band and Drum Corps and that whirlwind of off season activity, DCI offers its fan base little but the opportunity to go watch old shows from either last season or decades ago in the offseason. For approx. 42 weeks out of the 52 week season, there is virtually a blackout of hearing even Corps playing warmup exercises on brass or drums, for heavens sake. Oh sure, some Corps might throw in a 10 second orsound clip on their website, but thats like passing the salt and pepper shakers over to us, but leaving the food in the fridge or oven.. I " get " the need to provide themselves some privacy as they put together their summer show in the offseaason, but nobody yet has given us a satisfactory answer as to why DCI can't A) have their Corps show us warm up exercises from each camp and B) can't do a DCI show in the theatres in the offseason as they've done before. In an activity crying out for both fan retention, and fan growth, going into a 42 week blackout of music seems like its counterproductive to any efforts to grow this thing.

Cool Story, Bro... and we're simpatico on this topic. Unless, you're a parent of kids that currently split time between Band and Drum Corps and that whirlwind of off season activity, DCI offers its fan base little but the opportunity to go watch old shows from either last season or decades ago in the offseason. For approx. 42 weeks out of the 52 week season, there is virtually a blackout of hearing even Corps playing warmup exercises on brass or drums, for heavens sake. Oh sure, some Corps might throw in a 10 second orsound clip on their website, but thats like passing the salt and pepper shakers over to us, but leaving the food in the fridge or oven.. I " get " the need to provide themselves some privacy as they put together their summer show in the offseaason, but nobody yet has given us a satisfactory answer as to why DCI can't A) have their Corps show us warm up exercises from each camp and B) can't do a DCI show in the theatres in the offseason as they've done before. In an activity crying out for both fan retention, and fan growth, going into a 42 week blackout of music seems like its counterproductive to any efforts to grow this thing.

And I usually find that the little corps snippets are covered in some current bubble gum soundtrack to create emotion over the VISUAL of the corps together.

Yuck.

I would think that acquiring the rights to the music may be part of the issue arounding putting stuff up on the web or performing it for broadcast, outside of warmup exercises.

Edited by MikeD

Blue Devils and Santa Clara Vanguard along with their junior open class corps use to do an April concert at the Concord pavilion playing their new stuff for the season. I think the Mandarins also attended. It was a fun event for a Sunday afternoon that for some reason ended in early 2000's?

I would think that acquiring the rights to the music may be part of the issue arounding putting stuff up on the web or performing it for broadcast, outside of warmup exercises.

I do " get " that the copyright excuse does have some legitimacy as to why the Corps don't provide their fans more music in the off season, but we start with the premise that all these staff are bright and creative people and wouldn't take much to have them tape their practices doing technique work, warm up exercises, playing older songs etc, a myriad of possibilities not effected by copyright issue concerns and whatnot. What excuses do the percussion sections have ?

Also, if there is fear that a posting of music that is copyrighted or whatever, and is played in an arc formation before the season begins, to their credit, your Corps, The Cadets in preseason 2011 played their music outdoors in an arc section. It was posted for the public to watch. The music played got mostly positive reviews, but like anything else, there were some very negatives musical reviews motivated by who knows what. But in the big picture and the all important scheme of things, did the early preseason play at practice in street clothes by The Cadets( minus their Guard too ) effect the corps in any negative way ? No... not in the least. The Cadets went on this year in 2011 to win all 3 shows, of Quarters, Semi's, and Finals to garner a DCI Championship for themselves. So any fear that a DCI Corps staff has regarding an early release of their Corps playing at practice might effect them when it counts... by Championships week, seems to have no basis as an excuse anyway.

Edited by BRASSO

I do " get " that the copyright excuse does have some legitimacy as to why the Corps don't provide their fans more music in the off season, but we start with the premise that all these staff are bright and creative people and wouldn't take much to have them tape their practices doing technique work, warm up exercises, playing older songs etc, a myriad of possibilities not effected by copyright issue concerns and whatnot. What excuses do the percussion sections have ?

Also, if there is fear that a posting of music that is copyrighted or whatever, and is played in an arc formation before the season begins, to their credit, your Corps, The Cadets in preseason 2011 played their music outdoors in an arc section. It was posted for the public to watch. The music played got mostly positive reviews, but like anything else, there were some very negatives musical reviews motivated by who knows what. But in the big picture and the all important scheme of things, did the early preseason play at practice in street clothes by The Cadets( minus their Guard too ) effect the corps in any negative way ? No... not in the least. The Cadets went on this year in 2011 to win all 3 shows, of Quarters, Semi's, and Finals to garner a DCI Championship for themselves. So any fear that a DCI Corps staff has regarding an early release of their Corps playing at practice might effect them when it counts... by Championships week, seems to have no basis as an excuse anyway.

Oh, I thnik it would be cool to see some of the things you noted above, for sure. And yes, the Cadets have been pretty good about putting it out there earlier than most. That seems to be part of their overall approach, which is a good thing!

We used to pour over the DCNs looking to see who is playing what in the off-season, back when they were using Stone tablets as print media!

We used to pour over the DCNs looking to see who is playing what in the off-season, back when they were using Stone tablets as print media!

Maybe you were, but others of us were either playing at Carnegie Hall in NYC, or Newark Theatre, or at Symphony Hall, or the Boston Garden in Corps, etc or going to these type shows in the winter months, or listening to Corps practices, if we wanted to go watch... or were listening to the weekly hour long AM dial radio segments where we got info in real time as to what was going on with all the Corps, Yes, there were 7 Drum Corps publications or so, but they came at different times in the mail, so this supplemented the radio broadcasts, and all the live exhibitions, and even indoor Judged competitions that took place in early April, and before the first outdoor show that usually tool place about 2 and a half weeks hence or so from today. Everybody knew lots more real time info BITD than the comparatively essential blackout of info of today. There are lots of things better about today, but hearing current Corps in the off season and in the preseason compared to BITD , certainly isn't one of them, and there's really not much dispute on this anyway it would seem to me.

Edited by BRASSO

Maybe you were, but others of us were either playing at Carnegie Hall in NYC, or Newark Theatre, or at Symphony Hall, or the Boston Garden in Corps, etc or going to these type shows in the winter months, or listening to Corps practices, if we wanted to go watch... or were listening to the weekly hour long AM dial radio segments where we got info in real time as to what was going on with all the Corps, Yes, there were 7 Drum Corps publications or so, but they came at different times in the mail, so this supplemented the radio broadcasts, and all the live exhibitions, and even indoor Judged competitions that took place in early April, and before the first outdoor show that usually tool place about 2 and a half weeks hence or so from today. Everybody knew lots more real time info BITD than the comparatively essential blackout of info of today. There are lots of things better about today, but hearing current Corps in the off season and in the preseason compared to BITD , certainly isn't one of them, and there's really not much dispute on this anyway it would seem to me.

Don't forget the local newspapers having a weekly (?) Drum Corps article.