Spice up the Offseason...Ideas Anyone ?

I love college basketball, but I do not want it year-round.

Depends on the degree to which you love it then. I'm a college football fanatic and I follow off-season recruiting and practices religiously… and that includes things like watching high school film on up and comers, getting camp updates, and getting as many tid bits from beat writers as I can. Some people really do enjoy that level of engagement during the offseason. I'm on TF's side, I'd love to see more throughout the year.

• Like 3

Blue Devils and Santa Clara Vanguard along with their junior open class corps use to do an April concert at the Concord pavilion playing their new stuff for the season. I think the Mandarins also attended. It was a fun event for a Sunday afternoon that for some reason ended in early 2000's?

2007 was the last one. Probably just tough to get everyone together for the performance.

The marching arts go pretty much year round......check out BOA / USSBA or WGI (Guard, Percussion, and now Winds)!

The marching arts go pretty much year round......check out BOA / USSBA or WGI (Guard, Percussion, and now Winds)!

Nah,... I'd rather play last years DCI shows 50 times ( or even some older DCI shows ), then opt for these off season live offerings. But thanks anyway for the suggestion.

Can't go all the way through the thread but I think that the I&E shows sponsored by the Buglers' Hall of Fame (BHoF) are worthwhile events for the winter/spring drum corps fan.

if you're desperate to have your hair pinned back by Crown or BD this isn't your cup of tea, but if you love the acitivity and the people that made it what it became it would be hard to find a more worthwhile Saturday afternoon.

Much credit to Ghost Riders (and Donny Drum Corps); Pittsfield MA team; Boston area; Skyliners Alumni; and the Bridgeport original BHoF show.

I agree with Fran that the old preseason shows are missed. Loved the days of BlueCoats coming out and swinging as only they can do in April.

But as of right now I don't know where the next sponsor for that type show is coming from.

If you're a DCI purist, go back and don't bother to read this - in fact i'm pretty sure if you read the first line you've already skipped it. But if you're a drum corps activity type, try it out.

Only thing is now you have to wait for next February, and after this winter, who even wants to THINK about winter again?

To get back to the original poster's question, I guess it really depends on where you are within this activity. My kids ended with The Academy last summer, my daughter went straight to band camp. My son was teching with two local high school marching bands. Their seasons went all the way to the weekend before Thanksgiving. From that point on it has been auditions with two different corps that are not local, my son's winter guard and still teching the two high school guards, and my daughter going to call backs and weekend camps every month with weekly assignments on SmartMusic. Our house has been non-stop marching arts since August! My wife and are are looking forward to the peace and quiet for a month when move ins start on May 23rd, then we will be back at it with our first show in Oceanside! A month away from drum corps will be a nice break!

Interesting info from a parents perspective. But honestly, would corps releasing more information about their programs and engaging drum corps fans during their offseason during camp weekends impact how much drum corps you are experiencing? I just think there is a great opportunity for the corps...probably could do a pay to view/listen arrangement

Edited by Triple Forte

We are on a drum corps forum...so that's the actiivity I am honestly interested in the most.

BTW...I think the reason DCI goes dormant is because the other activities you mention..and shouldn't go dormant and it didn't use to go so dormant several years back.

Note to DCI Artisitc Director.....what are your 2014 plans to promote corps to engage the fans this season ? :huh2:

Depends on the degree to which you love it then. I'm a college football fanatic and I follow off-season recruiting and practices religiously… and that includes things like watching high school film on up and comers, getting camp updates, and getting as many tid bits from beat writers as I can. Some people really do enjoy that level of engagement during the offseason. I'm on TF's side, I'd love to see more throughout the year.

Thanks...and if you look at post #8 of mine on page one....the corps can probably make some coin along the way....