2014 smaller corps predictions.

It seems that with the season coming up in a few months, everybody is talking about who will win, who will make finals, who will leave finals, ETC. there are some smaller corps that I've been excited to see what they do this summer such as pioneer, cascades, surf, mandarins, ETC. does anybody have any predictions for what these corps will put on the field this year? I plan on marching with pioneer in 2015 so I'm wondering how 2014 will go for them.

It seems that with the season coming up in a few months, everybody is talking about who will win, who will make finals, who will leave finals, ETC. there are some smaller corps that I've been excited to see what they do this summer such as pioneer, cascades, surf, mandarins, ETC. does anybody have any predictions for what these corps will put on the field this year? I plan on marching with pioneer in 2015 so I'm wondering how 2014 will go for them.

When you asked " smaller Corps " I thought you had misplaced your thread topic here instead of the Open Class Div. Discussion side of DCP, as it is that division that is best known for its " smaller Corps ".

But moving forward, I believe thats its really too early to know how Pioneer.. or any Corps for that matter... will do this season as over the years DCI units have essentially developed a Cone of Silence on themselves, and in doing so hardly any fans at all know much of anything at all regarding " how it will go for them " in relationship to one another. So Its just wild speculation based on no information at all on how all of these Corps will fare this season compared to others in their general placement pecking order.

Edited by BRASSO

"Smaller." Most of us still march the maximum 150 performers, or close to it. I think the only exceptions are Cascades and Pioneer.

I predict that Academy, Blue Stars, Colts, Crossmen, Mandarins, Oregon Crusaders, Pacific Crest, and Troopers will all think they're going to make finals this year. But only Oregon Crusaders and Troopers really have a chance, no matter how good each corps actually is, because of politics. i.e. Oregon Crusaders is still new, so the judges can put them wherever they want, and everyone wants the Troopers to make finals, so the judges might put them there.

Not to take away from the hard work any of these corps do. I wish they all could make finals, but it can't work that way. It would be cool if a corps that never made finals before made it though.

Edited by Shags
  • Like 1

everyone wants the Troopers to make finals, so the judges might put them there.

Hope you're right on that, this season. As I'm sure you are probably aware " everyone wanted the Troopers to make finals" last August but the judges didn't. But who knows, maybe the judges will reconsider and put them into Finals this year as you think the just might this time around.

Edited by BRASSO

"Smaller." Most of us still march the maximum 150 performers, or close to it. I think the only exceptions are Cascades and Pioneer.

I predict that Academy, Blue Stars, Colts, Crossmen, Mandarins, Oregon Crusaders, Pacific Crest, and Troopers will all think they're going to make finals this year. But only Oregon Crusaders and Troopers really have a chance, no matter how good each corps actually is, because of politics. i.e. Oregon Crusaders is still new, so the judges can put them wherever they want, and everyone wants the Troopers to make finals, so the judges might put them there.

Not to take away from the hard work any of these corps do. I wish they all could make finals, but it can't work that way. It would be cool if a corps that never made finals before made it though.

lets hope whoever makes finals in that 12th spot ..they just deserve to be there and no other reason

I predict that Academy, Blue Stars, Colts, Crossmen, Mandarins, Oregon Crusaders, Pacific Crest, and Troopers will all think they're going to make finals this year. But only Oregon Crusaders and Troopers really have a chance, no matter how good each corps actually is, because of politics.

The Blue Stars will miss Finals this year, in your view, because" of politics" ?

Interesting observation, imo.' Be interesting to watch this all unfold this summer.

Edited by BRASSO

I predict that the Blue Stars are going to make finals this year again and it'll be by a comfortable margin. Crossmen will be right behind them though, ready to jump into finals if someone slips. Troopers had a good year, but not sure if they'll be able to keep the momentum, if so they could be someone to keep an eye on.

If cascades get there numbers up they will probably make semis again. They have talent, and good show choices, they just need numbers.

• Like 1

Troopers had a good year, but not sure if they'll be able to keep the momentum, if so they could be someone to keep an eye on.

Re Troop momentum:

Audition interest for 2014 was off the charts

Camp attendance was record-setting

Average age of MMs is higher

The 2013 staff remains in place

Arrangers are the same, and the 2014 book is more demanding and mature

Not known (by me) at this point: Visual & color guard situation

Unknown by anyone until judging starts: whether the 2014 programming/design will be as enthusiastically received as the 2013 program/design

By all the usual measures, Troopers should be a stronger unit in 2014 than in 2013. And they were 0.15 out of finals in 2013.

This does not necessarily translate into higher placement. Other corps will be stronger/weaker than last year, too. It's entirely possible that Troop will improve its performance vs. 2013 yet drop its placement in 2014.

From a fan's perspective however, I think it's certain that if you liked Troop in 2013, you're gonna love them in 2014.