Is there anything the pit CANNOT do?

I just watched Cavalier's 2008 (kick-azz) show, and noticed something intriguing in their front ensemble, aka, the pit. During the show, a pit member played what looked like a flute or recorder of some sort. You know, a woodwind. At another point, a pit member played something like a zither or hammered dulcimer, which is a STRINGED instrument (albeit struck with mallets). (seen at 4:32 on Fan Network finals video)

I just read the DCI rule book (2009 edition), which states the front ensemble can play any membraned or keyed instrument. Made no mention of woodwinds or strings. But there was no statement saying that the pit was forbidden to play such things either.

So what exactly is the limit, if any, in the pit? Have the judges simply overlooked infractions in the pit? Could a front ensemble play a clarinet or a concert harp if the mood struck them? More importantly, could the pit play bagpipes?? (please say yes!)

A side question: How come the pit does not wear hats?

Edited by quietcity
  • Like 2

March? :poke:

• Like 2

Flood the field and float rubber duckies across the front line.

Design a spaceship and land on the moon.

Sell annuity contracts during the the show.

Claim anymore that they can't be heard or that their wrists hurt.

Get a date to the prom.

If i remember correctly, the instrument you're referring to was akin to a modified slide whistle, which has been legal in drum corps forever.

You are right, I think. I went back and looked at at again, looks pretty slide-whistle-ish. But the stringed instrument, what gives?

You are right, I think. I went back and looked at at again, looks pretty slide-whistle-ish. But the stringed instrument, what gives?

I think it was a grey area since they used a mallet on it. I think it then became a percussion instrument.

I just watched Cavalier's 2008 (kick-azz) show, and noticed something intriguing in their front ensemble, aka, the pit. During the show, a pit member played what looked like a flute or recorder of some sort. You know, a woodwind. At another point, a pit member played something like a zither or hammered dulcimer, which is a STRINGED instrument (albeit struck with mallets). (seen at 4:32 on Fan Network finals video)

I just read the DCI rule book (2009 edition), which states the front ensemble can play any membraned or keyed instrument. Made no mention of woodwinds or strings. But there was no statement saying that the pit was forbidden to play such things either.

So what exactly is the limit, if any, in the pit? Have the judges simply overlooked infractions in the pit? Could a front ensemble play a clarinet or a concert harp if the mood struck them? More importantly, could the pit play bagpipes?? (please say yes!)

A side question: How come the pit does not wear hats?

What you saw was a member playing a slide whistle, a legal percussion instrument that has been used numerous times in the past. (i.e.: SCV "Miss Saigon" falling bomb, Madison Scouts "The Pirates of Lake Mendota" bosun's mate whistle.) The stringed instrument was a Chinese Yanquin, an instrument played with bamboo hammers related to the Appalachian dulcimer. It was considered a percussion instrument because the strings were struck. The staff got an opinion about its legality from the judging community prior to the season. (I write a weekly column for another website and this very show has already been turned in, to be run on May 26.)

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 1

Flood the field and float rubber duckies across the front line.

Design a spaceship and land on the moon.

Sell annuity contracts during the the show.

Claim anymore that they can't be heard or that their wrists hurt.

Get a date to the prom.

Don’t forget full nude strip pole dancing (at least not yet).

Bosoms? Pretty sure the one you want is "bosun's", Señor Boo (corruption of "boatswain")

No, i'd prefer...oh, never mind.

• Like 1