Please say it aint so.

What's keeping an all Brass college band like The Ohio state Buckeye band from competing in DCI. As long as they follow the age requirement and Decrease there size for competition. Is this even plausible? Now I realize that they wouldn't stand a chance at being competitive but does this new all brass rule make it possible. Please say it won't so.

Someone commented here a week or so ago that the Ohio State marching band actually could compete in DCI, as they do not use woodwinds. So you are probably correct, that such a thing is theoretically possible. But in reality, I am guessing their schedule, if nothing else, would prohibit it.

This whole drum corps vs. marching band debate is reminding me more and more of humans vs. Cylons (Battlestar Galactica reference, for the non-TV inclined). George Hopkins plays the role of Gaius Balter. DCP forum plays the role of Commander Adama.

Someone commented here a week or so ago that the Ohio State marching band actually could compete in DCI, as they do not use woodwinds. So you are probably correct, that such a thing is theoretically possible. But in reality, I am guessing their schedule, if nothing else, would prohibit it.

This whole drum corps vs. marching band debate is reminding me more and more of humans vs. Cylons (Battlestar Galactica reference, for the non-TV inclined). George Hopkins plays the role of Gaius Balter. DCP forum plays the role of Commander Adama.

From reading some of the posts, you are correct that there is a bit of FantasyLand on here, where Pretend can become Real, if its stated with the requisite denial of observable reality coupled with sufficient applomb.

Edited by BRASSO

What's keeping an all Brass college band like The Ohio state Buckeye band from competing in DCI. As long as they follow the age requirement and Decrease there size for competition. Is this even plausible? Now I realize that they wouldn't stand a chance at being competitive but does this new all brass rule make it possible. Please say it won't so.

OK, I got this:

"It aint so." Not much more to be said really, but simply put: it aint so.

• Like 3

Still, what if Ohio State or other strong marching bands wanted to compete in DCI? Why not let them, and allow the market (and judges) decide if they are worthy?

If the marching bands have something of value to add to drum corps, then they may be welcomed and even valued. But if the marching bands just do marching band stuff (spelling out words, rah-rah music, high-stepping, etc), then they will wither on the vine.

So, who's afraid of the Buckeye Band?

• Like 2

Summer

I just did a double-take with a little chuckle. I read the question just directly above your post then immediatly read your post. This is how my brain processed the infortation:

Q: "So, who's afraid of the Buckeye Band?"

A: "Summer"

• Like 1

I just did a double-take with a little chuckle. I read the question just directly above your post then immediatly read your post. This is how my brain processed the infortation:

Q: "So, who's afraid of the Buckeye Band?"

A: "Summer"

Oh, Summer, you base coward! You craven season!

• Like 1

Marched in TBDBITL. Marched in DCI. Even as a proud alum of tOSU, they'd get absolutely stomped in DCI in every possible way. I loved my time there, but we pretty much moved and played like ####.

All you need to do to answer the OP's question is just read the rule. It's simple. Or is this just another reason to start a rule complaint thread? I dunno.

• Like 2

Marched in TBDBITL. Marched in DCI. Even as a proud alum of tOSU, they'd get absolutely stomped in DCI in every possible way. I loved my time there, but we pretty much moved and played like ####.

All you need to do to answer the OP's question is just read the rule. It's simple. Or is this just another reason to start a rule complaint thread? I dunno.

Ditto