Please say it aint so.

Not a complaint thread honest would there be a band that says why not and attempt to infiltrate DCI

heh heh, I like that idea, a band disguising itself as a drum corps and sneaking into an unsuspecting DCI show.

• Like 2

Also, would be tough to get a scholastic group to spend all summer marching DCI, and spending all of that money, just to turn around and do the fall season

:ninja:

You know - it might be interesting to see if they would decide to come out and do that rotating T-Rex like they do on that TV commercial...ooooooo, innovative. I'd still like to see them do a "real" company front, and try to keep it dressed. "Script Ohio" would get older than an annual Z-pull.

No offense intended to that very fine band.. BUT - you might want to ask if they use their residuals from that commercial to pay for 'tour fees'... :tounge2:

Pat

I know multiple scholastic groups that would not do poorly in DCI (provided they switched their WW's to Brass and had all summer to clean). I especially think Avon and Tarpon would excel if they went this route.

Not a complaint thread honest would there be a band that says why not and attempt to infiltrate DCI

I'm not sure "infiltrate" is the proper word, as any group that came into the DCI fold would need to meet DCI's current criteria and therefore would have to be a drum corps as currently defined.

Still, what if Ohio State or other strong marching bands wanted to compete in DCI? Why not let them, and allow the market (and judges) decide if they are worthy?

If the marching bands have something of value to add to drum corps, then they may be welcomed and even valued. But if the marching bands just do marching band stuff (spelling out words, rah-rah music, high-stepping, etc), then they will wither on the vine.

So, who's afraid of the Buckeye Band?

1) as an Ohio State alum, I'm def. not afraid of their Marching Band. I grew up in C-bus going to tOSU football and basketball games, going to Skull Sessions to see the band, etc. My first private teacher as a 4th grader was a Marching Band alum, and while I could never quite work being in the band into my schedule (I was always pretty busy teaching during the fall season and didn't want to give up the income to be in tOSU Marching Band), I've always respected the organization.

2) if DCI wants to let scholastic groups compete I'm fine with that

3) if DCI wants to allow colleges to compete with WC corps I'm fine with that

4) knowing the philosophies of tOSU Marching Band, I feel pretty good that they would have zero interest competing, especially in DCI. They are there to support tOSU fans & University, not to max out rubric on a scoring sheet. Their director is a tOSU alum (whom went to school there when I did, and while I remember him a bit we weren't not good friends), who has brought up with the mind set and philosophies of tOSU Marching Band. I would be absolutely SHOCKED if he entertained the notion of wanting to compete

BUT...

again, if they, or any other band, wants to compete who cares? I'd be fine with that, and while tOSU Marching Band style is wildly different form modern competitive drum corps trends, it has little if any impact on me if they want to compete: that is their organization's (read the University's) decision.

• Like 1

I'm not sure "infiltrate" is the proper word, as any group that came into the DCI fold would need to meet DCI's current criteria and therefore would have to be a drum corps as currently defined.

Agreed.... think the same thing would apply to DCA as long as the instruments are legal.

1) as an Ohio State alum, I'm def. not afraid of their Marching Band. I grew up in C-bus going to tOSU football and basketball games, going to Skull Sessions to see the band, etc. My first private teacher as a 4th grader was a Marching Band alum, and while I could never quite work being in the band into my schedule (I was always pretty busy teaching during the fall season and didn't want to give up the income to be in tOSU Marching Band), I've always respected the organization.

2) if DCI wants to let scholastic groups compete I'm fine with that

3) if DCI wants to allow colleges to compete with WC corps I'm fine with that

4) knowing the philosophies of tOSU Marching Band, I feel pretty good that they would have zero interest competing, especially in DCI. They are there to support tOSU fans & University, not to max out rubric on a scoring sheet. Their director is a tOSU alum (whom went to school there when I did, and while I remember him a bit we weren't not good friends), who has brought up with the mind set and philosophies of tOSU Marching Band. I would be absolutely SHOCKED if he entertained the notion of wanting to compete

BUT...

again, if they, or any other band, wants to compete who cares? I'd be fine with that, and while tOSU Marching Band style is wildly different form modern competitive drum corps trends, it has little if any impact on me if they want to compete: that is their organization's (read the University's) decision.

Perc2100, thanks very much for your thoughtful and informative post. And you have pointed out one of the significant differences between drum corps and college marching bands, that being the intent to compete. DC, for all its artistic intent, shapes itself to the exigencies of the judging system. A college marching band shapes itself to motivate and entertain the teams and fans of a particular school. The twain are not likely to meet on any field of competition.