Please say it aint so.

Is that the name of a bus line? :tounge2:

I grew up in C-bus going to tOSU football and basketball games, going to Skull Sessions to see the band, etc.

Ha, it could be I guess. If New Yorkers identify with subway lines I guess it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility to identify with a bus line :silly:

I could clarify, but isn't more fun to let our imagines run rampant :tounge2:

Ok, forget Ohio State. How about a marching band like UMass which has drum corps personnel (like Thom Hannum) on their staff?

Different school, likely similar philosophies to tOSU. Most college marching bands are run/funded by the Athletic Department (plus boosters/donations of course), and thus their primary goal is to support athletics and University endeavors and not necessarily competitive endeavors.

On the flip side, there have been some WGI Independent percussion groups from universities (Penn State had an ensemble awhile back that had competitive success). That's a MUCH smaller scale than DCI, and much more manageable from a schedule/seasonal standpoint.

When I was a student at tOSU there were sometimes some issues fielding a marching band for early season games when the fall quarter hadn't officially begun yet, so I imagine it would be VERY difficult for an athletic band to get consistent membership throughout the summer. A lot of tOSU Marching Band membership when I was a student seemed to be non-music majors (I would say maybe 50/50, if not more non-music majors than music majors): meaning many of the members had their own field of study and the summer internships and jobs associated. Even the music majors had band camps and other endeavors over the summer when they made money to store away for fall quarter. The members of the band who were into drum corps often marched somewhere anyway, so those members had plenty of opportunities to participate in DCI or DCA outside of their tOSU commitments.

I didn't intend to bring this back around to tOSU, but I imagine my experience there is not too far off from the average experience nation-wide. Where I live/teach now (in Southern CA), I'm pretty familiar with many of the University marching band programs (UCLA, San Diego State, etc) and know they are very similar philosophically.

Different school, likely similar philosophies to tOSU. Most college marching bands are run/funded by the Athletic Department (plus boosters/donations of course), and thus their primary goal is to support athletics and University endeavors and not necessarily competitive endeavors.

And they have Michael Klesch doing a lot of their arranging. But yeah, they do athletic stuff but perform at a few competitions.

I think they'd have the same issue as Ohio State, convincing their students to stay at school all summer to do a drum corps tour, and then come back and spend all fall doing the football games and everything else involved.

Ok, forget Ohio State. How about a marching band like UMass which has drum corps personnel (like Thom Hannum) on their staff?

If UMass wants to compete in DCI, more power to them, provided the group they compete with fits into DCI's current definition.

On one hand, people are crying that the number of corps continues to drop, and on the other, they seem resistant to the possibility that other groups might be welcomed into the fold.

Seems odd to me.

• Like 2

Good post, Perc. But to be honest, I did have to chuckle at the cited line above. Last I knew, athletics ARE competitive endeavors.

Please -- I "get" the gist of your ideas. I'm not being contrarian -- I just found the apparent "athletic/not competitive" wording rather amusing. :tounge2:

If UMass wants to compete in DCI, more power to them, provided the group they compete with fits into DCI's current definition.

On one hand, people are crying that the number of corps continues to drop, and on the other, they seem resistant to the possibility that other groups might be welcomed into the fold.

Seems odd to me.

Excellent point

It's what those of us who grew up in that town call it sometimes... I call it CBus....

Agreed.... think the same thing would apply to DCA as long as the instruments are legal.

Forgot... DCA would have to pass the evaluation and doesn't DCI check the corps funding befoer they are allowed to join?

UMass... gotta bring up George Parks name. And Indiana Univ of PA (IUP) had a corps sized band in my day because "too many people get in the way of my drill". BD was Charles Casavant whose father A. R. literally wrote the book on marching drill in the 50s/60s. And ol Charlie was trying to show people he had the genetics....

LOL - we were even doing "Themed Shows" before DCI was. Still remember "Salute to Jimmy Carter"... OY!!

Edited by JimF-LowBari

It's what those of us who grew up in that town call it sometimes... I call it CBus....

We call it the "C-train"...in NYC lol

• Like 1