Is Drum Corps a sport?

So I'm writing my AP Research Paper on DCI and whether it is a sport or not. If you could share your opinions on this (whether you agree or not) it would be a lot of help! And who better to ask than people who have marched Drum Corps?

Opinions will definitely vary. I tend to think not, only because its not a "game" where two sides are pitted against each other in direct competition (at the same time). With that said, there are a lot of correlations that can be drawn. Scores are kept, a winner (or tie) is decided, there is practice to improve, it is incredibly athletic in nature etc.... There was a great piece done in 93 with a tenor player from Star where the physical stress of his performance was tracked with heart rate and oxygen consumption. If I recall Bobby Knight was a part of this piece and was quoted saying that the level of physical stress was equal to what he would expect to see from top athletes, but I don't know if that makes it a sport. MikeN makes some good points though.

Edited by BozzlyB
  • Like 1

Yes. Even for the Pit. As one once said, "you can't spell pit without PT".

In all seriousness, there was a thread not too long ago that stirred up some heated discussion on this very topic that got closed down. You can find a lot of what you're looking for in terms of contrasting opinions. Things start to pick up in terms of discussing "sport or not" at around page 18. (But you may have to sift through some of the drama.)

I'd say so:

sport

spôrt/

noun

1. 1.

an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

• Like 2