Is Drum Corps a sport?

I'm still on the fence about DCI being a "Sport" or "Art" ( I tend to feel that it's a bit of both), but I really think DCI takes aspects of whatever it likes to market itself. I'm not sure how I feel about them doing this in the abstract, but it's what it is...

I have written this before: An organization can be more than one thing simultaneously. For example an activity can be an Art and a Business at the same time; or a Sport and a Business; or an Art, a Sport, and a Business.

No, in my opinion" Drum Corps BITD did not put the SAME demands on the performers " as that of today. The two have DIFFERENT demands, wholly different in the levels of demand. DCI Corps march approx 10 minutes of extremely high velocity drill that is undeniably very demanding. But they also have never stood at attention for 30 minutes on starting lines in wool uniforms undergoing inspections in stadiums BEFORE performance either.... or gotten eaten up by mosquitos standing at attention under the lights during these very lengthy inspections either. How many have pushed a broken down bus on tour ?... or had marchers share in driving the busses themselves on some occasions while on tour ?, or driven in cars 8 hours after getting out of work on Fri to practice and then march in a weekend competition, before then driving home, marchers bunched together in those cars, another 8 hours in these cars late Sunday nite( or early monday morning) in order to get up by 6am for a full days summer work with their employer monday morning ?.... and so many other " different demands " that could be mentioned here as well. Look, I am not denying todays marchers work hard, and their practices and on field performances are indeed intense and all that. But I've heard on here before that " the demands on todays participants in Drum Corps is " more demanding than BITD". I would simply reply that the " demands were different " and leave it at that.

But this thread is talking about modern drum corps as a sport...or not. Everything you said is, of course, correct about back in the day, but it is not germaine to the discussion of whether or not the physicl demands of modern drum corps could be considered a sport or not.

. MikeD is on record here ( as well as most others here ) that it is not appropriate to compare DCI Summer Competition to any " sport "., let alone actually attempting to call DCI endeavors " a sport ".

The times I have made comments that you alude to are more about rules and other items when people try to compare drum corps and sports like NCAA Football, which has zero to do with the idea of whether or not DCI drum corps could be considered a sport due to the physical and athletic demands placed on the performers.

So please do not enlist me in support of your arguments. I've never made a statement either way about whether or not drum corps itself could be considered a sport.

• Like 1

But this thread is talking about modern drum corps as a sport...or not. Everything you said is, of course, correct about back in the day, but it is not germaine to the discussion .

Ok.. you are on record here on many occasions that its not appropriate to compare what DCI'ers do to" a sport".. even amateur youth " sports ".. So we can cut to the chase now and put you in the column that says that what DCI'ers do is not a "sport". That was easy huh ?...., as we rarely can agree on most anything on here, but at least we can agree that DCI is not " a sport ", and move on to something else to discuss here.

Edited by BRASSO

Ok.. you are on record here on many occasions that its not appropriate to compare what DCI'ers do to" a sport".. even amateur youth " sports ".. So we can cut to the chase now and put you in the column that says that what DCI'ers do is not a "sport". That was easyhuh, and we rarely can agree on most anything on here, but at least we can agree that DCI is not " a sport ".

Nooooo...I have never made any comment either way about whether DCI drum corps is a sport or not.

I've never made a statement either way about whether or not drum corps itself could be considered a sport.

I could have sworn you did.

But ok, I'll accept that you don't like comparisons to sport but have never chimed in or not if its a " sport " or not,.. its a simple question... is DCI participation by musicians " a sport ", or is it not a " sport " but something else, like more aptly in the competitive " performance art " realm or some such. If its a "sport " in your opinion, can you think of any other competitive " sport " anywhere the world that has singers and musicians in their performances before audiences ?

Edited by BRASSO

See, for me, as a marching member, a judge, an instructor, and as a spectator, in the community of drum corps

I marched. I played. I taught. I judged. I never considered drum corps to be a sport. It wasn't in the forties, the fifties, or the sixties, It isn't a sport now. Any suggestion that it is, is pure hyperbole.

No minced words there, Judge. ( I happen to agree, the notion that this is a competitive sport is silly, imo)

Ice Hockey players have no such conflicted opinions on this. They are athletes, engaged in a competitive sport. Period. DCI can't decide who they are, nor what they are... they are a " Drum & Bugle Corps" ?.. or no, thats not really correct... rather, they are a " Marching Band " ?... well no, thats not right either... they are in fact a " Drum Corps ".. doing a competitive "sport ".... well, no... thats a problem for apt description when the" athletes" play trombones in their competition and other " athletes " sing a tune into a mic... its a Drum Corps " doing " Performance Art ": in the Music realm ".... ahhh... well, its also visual in nature too... and we have Color Guards and Color Guard captioned judges.... but.... well, we really don't have anything guarded per se, so its really not " Color Guards"... its really " Dance Teams "..... but... well, they are not really " Dance Teams", as they have flags, banners streamers,, rifles and stuff....... but well, some don't have rifles, they have something else that takes the place of a riflle.... and sabres, sabres too... they have something else..... they have... they have...... ahh.... ... ahh.;....what was the question again ?

Edited by BRASSO

I have written this before: An organization can be more than one thing simultaneously. For example an activity can be an Art and a Business at the same time; or a Sport and a Business; or an Art, a Sport, and a Business.

While true, there is no " competitive sport " in the world that has musicians called ' athletes " engaged in " sports competition ".

And here's the dose of cold water splashed on the face of people to hopefully bring them to their senses........ DCI isn't going to be the first in the worldwith musicians to be called a " competitive sport".. no matter how many rather delusional thinking people in this insular, small, bubble world want it to be thought of, and called as such.

Edited by BRASSO

Whether musical instruments are used in the competition or not, here is the scenario which has just unfolded:

Stu: “You compete in a sport?”

Brasso: “No; I compete in a physical acivity.”

Stu: “Sport!”

Brasso: “Shut Up!!!”

:doh:

Careful Hoss; I got a posting axed by the mods for bringing up that, um, performance art she made. :blink:

mine's still there. obviously you broke it down frame by frame with play by play