Is Drum Corps a sport?

It depends on the definition you choose.

My personal definition excludes it as a sport, instead classifying it as an athletic competition. I reserve the word sport for athletic competitions that have measurable outcomes, such as scored team and individual sports and timed/measured events. Hence track, tennis, and basketball are all sports, while gymnastics, figure skating, ballroom dancing (which is called dancesport, oddly enough), and drum corps are all athletic competitions.

Notice that I'm not implying any sort of hierarchy between the two classifications of competition. I'm a massive fan of activities from both classifications, being a competitive ballroom dancer and a former competitive marcher and soccer player.

So I'm writing my AP Research Paper on DCI and whether it is a sport or not. If you could share your opinions on this (whether you agree or not) it would be a lot of help! And who better to ask than people who have marched Drum Corps?

; I am a soothsayer. !

People do have THE RIGHT to self name things( as well as themselves ) as they wish. So if you want to call yourself a " soothsayer", or whatever, then thats cool too, as its your basic freedom to do as you please with ANY of this.

Edited by BRASSO

Because this is fun off-season banter. Also to point out that things are what they are no matter what the activity wants to call itself or what one 'perceives' it to be. Competitive Figure Skating, for example, fits into the criteria of a sport by what it is and what it does even though someone else does not perceive it as a sport. And Competitive Drum Corps has all, I mean all the characteristics of an activity which defines 'sport'; and that is not changed because it uses instruments which are unique only to that activity. What I am amused at within these threads is how viscous some get, not Brasso, but how some get viscous when Competitive Drum Corps is called a Sport, or especially, omg, when it is called a Marching Band.

I think we need to examine your definition of fun

• Like 3

I merely requested for you to simply define the word/activity sport which encompasses the common attributes of all sports; and I also requested you refrain from using the concept what it is not. Your brief (but ever so brief) response contained 3,501 letters/715 spaces and 701 total words. And what did you do? Did you simply define common attributes of all sports? Nope. Did you type a 701 word verbose diatribe on why competitive marching is, in your Humble opinion, not a sport? Yep. But I think I know why you did this; I am a soothsayer. You typed this diatribe of why you believe competitive drum corps is 'not' a sport because if you constructed an Honest definition 'of sport', which encompasses the common attributes of all sports, you will discover that competitive drum corps will actually fit that definition. Lions, and Tigers, and Bears, Oh My!

Stu, while you crave a world where everything is black and white and nothing can ever deviate from a set definition, please realize the world has lots of greys.

• Like 2

Stu, while you crave a world where everything is black and white and nothing can ever deviate from a set definition, please realize the world has lots of greys.

Yes; there are a lot of grey (ancient) ideas in the world and there are also a lot of grays which fall into the realm of opinion such as taste: Who has the better tasting burger 5-Guys or Ruby-Tuesday? Or in preference: Should the tp roll out toward you or in toward the wall? Or in subjective evaluation of skill: Was Regiment’s percussion that much better that BD’s in 2008? All of those certainly are gray areas. But there are things which are not gray such as If you ‘call’ a toadstool a mushroom and eat a lot of them, it does not matter what name you call it, they will still potentially kill you. And again, to quote Shakespeare, "What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet." That quote also applies to the actual characteristic and function of an entity or activity; and those issues do not fall into the gray areas. So when all non-opinioned views are taken into account with an unbiased set of eyes and ears it does not matter what you ‘call’ BD and Regiment the characteristics and function of those organizations do define them as being a form of marching bands; and no matter what you ‘call’ competitive drum corps the characteristic and function of that activity does define it as being a form of sport.

• Like 1

Go ahead. Some find schadenfreude to be fun; I do not; but some do. And as the word fun applies to DCP; well... everyone who posts something has had some sort of fun and entertainment out of the expereince. Those who post here certainly are not garnering income out of typing on this site, so the motivation must be some form of enjoyment and self-entertainment.

Stu, on 07 Apr 2014 - 4:06 PM, said:snapback.png

Because this is fun off-season banter. Also to point out that things are what they are no matter what the activity wants to call itself or what one 'perceives' it to be. Competitive Figure Skating, for example, fits into the criteria of a sport by what it is and what it does even though someone else does not perceive it as a sport. And Competitive Drum Corps has all, I mean all the characteristics of an activity which defines 'sport'; and that is not changed because it uses instruments which are unique only to that activity. What I am amused at within these threads is how viscous some get, not Brasso, but how some get viscous when Competitive Drum Corps is called a Sport, or especially, omg, when it is called a Marching Band.

I think we need to examine Stu's definition of "viscous"!

Yes; there are a lot of grey (ancient) ideas in the world and there are also a lot of grays which fall into the realm of opinion such as taste: Who has the better tasting burger 5-Guys or Ruby-Tuesday? Or in preference: Should the tp roll out toward you or in toward the wall? Or in subjective evaluation of skill: Was Regiment’s percussion that much better that BD’s in 2008? All of those certainly are gray areas. But there are things which are not gray such as If you ‘call’ a toadstool a mushroom and eat a lot of them, it does not matter what name you call it, they will still potentially kill you. And again, to quote Shakespeare, "What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet." That quote also applies to the actual characteristic and function of an entity or activity; and those issues do not fall into the gray areas. So when all non-opinioned views are taken into account with an unbiased set of eyes and ears it does not matter what you ‘call’ BD and Regiment the characteristics and function of those organizations do define them as being a form of marching bands; and no matter what you ‘call’ competitive drum corps the characteristic and function of that activity does define it as being a form of sport.

first off, percussion in 2008 was black and white...in favor of the team in black and white. LOL

here's the easiest way to describe drum corps. It's a musical competition, that involves many artistic moments coupled with many athletic moments. It's part sport, it's part art. It's totally unique in that in no other athletic type of contest do people play instruments

first off, percussion in 2008 was black and white...in favor of the team in black and white. LOL

I did not say BD over Regiment in perc in 2008; I said that evaluationg that they were 'that much better', as in that wide of a score and ranking differential, was and is a subjective evaluation of skill.

here's the easiest way to describe drum corps. It's a musical competition, that involves many artistic moments coupled with many athletic moments. It's part sport, it's part art. It's totally unique in that in no other athletic type of contest do people play instruments

Thank you!!!! Bolded it for ya!!!!! DCI is part art, part sport, and I would add part business, and it is totally unique.

Edited by Stu