Is Drum Corps a sport?

it does not matter what any of our 'opinions' are, .

Then why read'em,or give'em, Stu ?

Edited by BRASSO

Then why read'em,or give'em, Stu ?

a) Because this is a form of diversion and entertainment for a few DCI fans; and b) On occasion something important does surface which impacts the fan base, like the outing of the G7 report.

Nope; people will perceive the way they want to perceive and there is nothing much that can be done to change a person’s mind, or in this case a culture, when they are already dogmatic on their perception (for example see this thread about DCI/sport or another one about DCI/marching band; perception and opinion is still trumping reality of form and function). So the activity, imo, will always have a marching band perception and never draw in many fans from the outside world that does not already have some appreciation for the nature of the activity. What I am saying is that DCI is marketing this in the wrong direction. To me DCI needs to focus on creating an atmosphere which encourages more, and more, and more corps to enter DCI. And because most fans are friends and family of the performers, that in turn would develop organically into more, and more, and more fans in the stands,. DCI should at the same time also switch gears and market sponsorship advertising toward the products and services used by both the fans and performers (cars, shoes, pizza, computers, smart phones, lawn mowers, ad infinitum) instead of a small select advertising of products focused only toward the performers and their band directors (horns, percussion, uniforms, etc...). But hey, who am I... other than the Stu most make fun of on DCP

Thank you, Stu.

I believe you have to get people through the door, or tune in, FIRST. After that, their perceptions will run in any direction they choose. Hopefully, they WILL see the DCI product as much better than anything they've already seen before from marching band-type presentations. Of course, it truly is. Similar, yes. Superior to most eyes and ears, also yes. Who knew?

Thank you, Stu.

I believe you have to get people through the door, or tune in, FIRST. After that, their perceptions will run in any direction they choose. Hopefully, they WILL see the DCI product as much better than anything they've already seen before from marching band-type presentations. Of course, it truly is. Similar, yes. Superior to most eyes and ears, also yes. Who knew?

DCI could definately do a better job in marketing itself.. but I don't claim to have anything new up my sleeve thats unique or different that hasn't already been mentioned. At the end of the day however, it doesn't matter what DCI calls itself as an activity.. its whether or not its liked by more people or not. DCI has done a decent job over the years in developing and nurturing good relationships with the school Music programs,. its still not where it needs to be, but its definately improved itself here by leaps and bounds, and its relationships with the schools much better than BITD, imo. It could use more butts in the seats however. It struggles with this, and that needs to change, when we talk about the need to embrace " change" in my view.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I realize the actual implementation would not be that simple, but the concept sure is simple. Market the product of DCI itself to high school and university age youth interested in BOA, TOB, UIL, WGI, and DCI; create a way to get more units engaging in DCI at the OC level and and a less expensive way way for OC to move to WC level; that will in turn increase interest with both on the field performer numbers and off the field numbers with more fans in the stands (ie family and friends). However, as to DCI 'sposorship' advertising, market that aspect to companies who have products and servicews which appeal to average non-musicain fans in the stands, the family and friends, not just the select few artistic performers on the field. Or am I just blowing smoke up my you know what?

Edited by Stu

I did not say BD over Regiment in perc in 2008; I said that evaluationg that they were 'that much better', as in that wide of a score and ranking differential, was and is a subjective evaluation of skill.

Thank you!!!! Bolded it for ya!!!!! DCI is part art, part sport, and I would add part business, and it is totally unique.

Phantom WAS that much better.

as for adding business, adding that to a marketing tag line is stupid.

Chuck: I have the utmost respect for you; and I respect that in your opinion it is not a sport What I am getting at, however, is that it does not matter what any of our 'opinions' are, or the 'opinion' of a football coach, or even what DCI wants to call or name itself. The fact remains that by all accounts of shear function competitive drum corps in DCI does fall into the realm of being a form of a businees, a form of art, and a form of sport.

All is good, Stu...

One can certainly argue the point that because we have financial obligations, and that creativity and physical motion are our methods of communication... we could be any one of those things.

But in the end, I believe the true value of what we do falls outside the competitive (sport) arena, far beyond our simple business plans to float by a million dollars at a time, and the impact is greater than just the exertion and sweat we expend in our attempts to gain perfection.

That's why I answered the way I did.

But I can see your point of view, and understand it.

all the best,

Chuck Naffier