Is Drum Corps a sport?

If DCI does not consider itself a sport then why did they do the sports analogies on their broadcasts to the public themselves ? ( just one illustration of this here above ). Why did they put themselves on ESPN for telecasts ? Why did they bring into their broadcasts Bob Knight, Curt Gowdy, Steve Young, etc ? They perform on football fields and in sports stadiums all summer long, don't they ? ( not in concert halls ). DCI adopted the branding theme for themselves of " The Major Leagues of... ", didn't they ? Look, we can all agree that there are differences between DCI and sports, but lets be real on here,.. its also true the DCI has attempted at many different junctures over the years to make the analogy to who they are and what they do, to that of sports, athletics, athletes, etc themselves.

By the way, it is a fact of life, that just about ALL amateur 17-22 year olders on college sports teams are heckled, booed, jeeered, they're yelled names of devilish participation with their Mothers in unsavory extracurricular pursuits, if you get my drift, and so forth...... are we ok if we bring in all that from the amateur college sports realm world as well for the DCI 17-22 year olders among us out on the DCI football field ? Gawd, lets hope not... nor that this happens at these DCI " Summer Games " in the future. Once DCI begins to compare its participants heartrate to athletes it can become quite easy for some sports team yahoo to begin to treat the DCI Marcher as any other amateur college athlete is treated. We can put this then in the category of ...: " be careful what you wish for " . This could become a slippery slope indeed where you don't get to bring in the good things, but keep out the bad things, when the comparison is attempted to be made that DCI'ers are like college athletes.

HAHA! I LOL'd

Apparently it wasn't to Tonya Harding.

I beg to differ. It was Tonya's version of a martial art.

• Like 1

My sincere apologies to the DCP viewership for carrying this whole thread off-topic.

• Like 1

My sincere apologies to the DCP viewership for carrying this whole thread off-topic.

Good grief; how is asking if martial arts is a sport is any different that asking if the marching arts is a sport is getting off-topic?

Good grief; how is asking if martial arts is a sport is any different that asking if the marching arts is a sport is getting off-topic?

1) Because the OP never brought up the "martial arts" in the first place. It was I who (rather stupidly) took it in that direction, albeit unintentionally. In any event, I'm willing to do my penance.

2) The OP opened this thread with the simple question "Does DCI constitute a sport?" (Or words to that effect). He didn't say "marching arts." He said "DCI." Go back and look it up -- I KNOW I'm correct on this one.

1) Because the OP never brought up the "martial arts" in the first place. It was I who (rather stupidly) took it in that direction, albeit unintentionally. In any event, I'm willing to do my penance.

2) The OP opened this thread with the simple question "Does DCI constitute a sport?" (Or words to that effect). He didn't say "marching arts." He said "DCI." Go back and look it up -- I KNOW I'm correct on this one.

Ok; then yes, drum corps is a sport. But it is weird that we can talk about all aspects of drum corps, which is a word in the thread, but we apparently cannot reference all aspects of the word Sport, which is also a word in the title of the thread. Wow, knee-jerk reactions are abounding as of late!

Edited by Stu

Ok; then yes, drum corps is a sport. But it is weird that we can talk about all aspects of drum corps, which is a word in the thread, but we apparently cannot reference all aspects of the word Sport, which is also a word in the title of the thread. Wow, knee-jerk reactions are abounding as of late!

How DARE you!!!!!! Knee-jerk reaction???????????

I'll have you know, GOOD SIR, that I spent 17 seconds of my life in compiling my response to you. Knee-jerk reaction my a##.....

• Like 2