Controversy in WGI and DCI

True. It has various chapters including Amorous Advances, Acquiring a Wife, Duties and Privileges of a Wife, Other Men’s Wives, Courtships, etc… And this will shock a few, as an adult I have read through the English translation in its entirety. But I would not present any of its concepts in the design of youth musical program.

So all those shows based on love stories are too mature for youth programs?

Warner Brothers is a way to show that the intellect and humor aimed at adults, which was brilliant by the way, within a cartoon does not have to be guttural adult humor like that of South Park. Thus the contrast of the two was made.

Cartoons can be either Warner Bros genius, South Park genius, Lion King genius, Rocky and Bullwinke genius, etc....and others of course. They all have their own niches within the realm of cartoons. There are all sorts of WGI and drum corps shows too...each with its own niche.

I just finished playing in the pit for a production of Peter Pan, and in February I saw Book of Mormon in London...you really could not find two more different shows in content, yet both were very successful shows.

They (Broadway shows, WGI, DCI, cartoons, etc) don't all have to be the same.

• Like 2

Cartoons can be either Warner Bros genius, South Park genius, Lion King genius, Rocky and Bullwinke genius, etc....and others of course. They all have their own niches within the realm of cartoons. There are all sorts of WGI and drum corps shows too...each with its own niche.

I just finished playing in the pit for a production of Peter Pan, and in February I saw Book of Mormon in London...you really could not find two more different shows in content, yet both were very successful shows.

They (Broadway shows, WGI, DCI, cartoons, etc) don't all have to be the same.

True; all are good productions. But the appropriateness, or inappropriateness, of a youth oriented WGI or DCI or BOA show based on, say, something like the production of “It’s Just Sex” which ran at The Actors Temple in New York, or ‘The Skivvies” which opens at the end of this April, is really the underlying question here.

Biggest issue I have with WGI shows is that people cheer at every little thing that happens. Some shows thrive on the subtlety and silence, but it gets covered up by kids going "Woo!" every time a toss is caught. Case in point, Onyx 2010. The "Sleeping Giant" show. Beautifully done, and a study in silence as a tool. But a lot of the moments got diluted by people cheering through the whole thing.

I'm finding screams at every toss annoying too. You're welcome to visit our local guard circuit next year. We mostly applaud good stuff and cheer the high moments.

In my trek of trying to watch over 2,000 WGI Fan Network performances, I decided to watch 5 2002 guards tonight. Fantasia were exquisite, the 5 person sequential rifle catch was superb and I found nothing blatently controversial. I also heard Joni Mitchell, Einstein on the Beach and the Patriots appeared to be from the pre-Onyx era ...

• Like 1

So all those shows based on love stories are too mature for youth programs?

No; not all shows based on Love, Amor, Fidelity, or Courtship should be avoided in youth programs. But any show which uses and/or references the techniques of those issues presented in Kama Sutra? Yes, that is too mature for youth programs.

actually, most people think their moral compass is good for them, and no one else.

Really? So we should have just let John Lennon and Yoko Ono get naked and do it in the road in front of kids because they found it morally acceptable and we should not have forced our own moral judgment onto them?

No; not all shows based on Love, Amor, Fidelity, or Courtship should be avoided in youth programs. But any show which uses and/or references the techniques of those issues presented in Kama Sutra? Yes, that is too mature for youth programs.

WGI has scholastic class, performed by high school guards and drum lines. Some of their programs are controversial. We need to listen to what they are saying.

• Like 2

What about the World Independent Guards? Most of them are all adults, especially with the lack of an age limit at the top

I'm finding screams at every toss annoying too. You're welcome to visit our local guard circuit next year. We mostly applaud good stuff and cheer the high moments.

That is good. I just think the audience needs to gauge what kind of show they're watching, and adjust their reaction accordingly. A show that's subtle and quiet doesn't need screams at every toss. A loud and fast show can have that kind of reaction. Would be like someone cheering for each entrance during a symphony.

I just received my March/April issue of Halftime magazine, and the cover article was about WGI's most memorable stunts in both percussion and guard. It reminded me instantly of Northmont High School's 1997 guard show, "Dante's Inferno" which included dark themes, a girl being hanged, etc. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on past WGI or even DCI shows/parts of shows that could be considered controversial. Just kind of an interesting topic that came to my mind.

Blue Devils '88 - Happy Days Are Here Again. They let 30+ big helium balloons go every performance of their tour, thereby killing hundreds if not thousands of dolphins. Shame Devils. Shame.

Edited by LoveKathyG
  • Like 1