Controversy in WGI and DCI

Then answer me this: Why are more and more WGI show concepts looking like a combination of Mylie Cyrus, Madonna, and Lady Gaga sexual implied body movements/costume designs, and less and less like other musical/movement performance stage productions?

You are asking the wrong person about any question you might re. WGI, Stu.

No can do, Man...' sorry.

Edited by BRASSO

Then answer me this: Why are more and more WGI show concepts looking like a combination of Mylie Cyrus, Madonna, and Lady Gaga sexual implied body movements/costume designs, and less and less like other musical/movement performance stage productions?

What makes you think that "more and more" ARE looking like that? A few cutting edge shows out of the thousands of indoor guard shows coast to coast?

• Like 1

What makes you think that "more and more" ARE looking like that? A few cutting edge shows out of the thousands of indoor guard shows coast to coast?

Observation; over the years at WGI Finals, WGI Regionals, and at various local circuits around the nation show that more and more guards are moving in that sexual innuendo implication body movement and costume design direction.

Observation; over the years at WGI Finals, WGI Regionals, and at various local circuits around the nation show that more and more guards are moving in that sexual innuendo implication body movement and costume design direction.

This is just flat out misinformation. Completely utterly false.

There's a clear pattern developing with this users's posts. Not gonna go any further than that. But its bloody obvious why he keeps seeing things that no one else seems to see.

FWIW most guards I see (both locally, WGI, and youtube) seem to be very sensitive to the performers wearing their uniforms. Sure there are a few idiots who ignore their kids (and their body types) and put them into less than flattering uniforms but the vast, vast majority of instructors are very aware of what they put on their kids.

As for dance, my guess is that ballet -- any ballet -- is overtly sexual to the poster in question. In fact the vast, vast majority of guard shows don't contain sexual innuendo at all. Few designers go any where NEAR that sort of dance or programming. Why? Because most guards are scholastic; the performers have parents; the parents go to the shows. And most parents are more than willing to go complain to a school administrator about what Johnny or Suzie are being asked to do.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 5

Ever watch much opera? Talk about some crazy stuff that would be considered pretty controversial in our circles. Yet I don't see you railing against them and judging those who enjoy it. I mean Carmen is about a hooker. Porgy and Bess? Miss Saigon(musical I know, based somewhat on an opera).

• Like 2

This is just flat out misinformation. Completely utterly false.

There's a clear pattern developing with this users's posts. Not gonna go any further than that. But its bloody obvious why he keeps seeing things that no one else seems to see.

FWIW most guards I see (both locally, WGI, and youtube) seem to be very sensitive to the performers wearing their uniforms. Sure there are a few idiots who ignore their kids (and their body types) and put them into less than flattering uniforms but the vast, vast majority of instructors are very aware of what they put on their kids.

As for dance, my guess is that ballet -- any ballet -- is overtly sexual to the poster in question. In fact the vast, vast majority of guard shows don't contain sexual innuendo at all. Few designers go any where NEAR that sort of dance or programming. Why? Because most guards are scholastic; the performers have parents; the parents go to the shows. And most parents are more than willing to go complain to a school administrator about what Johnny or Suzie are being asked to do.

Again, erroneous assumptions based on nothing more than incorrectly analyzing a few of my postings on an obscure site called DCP. I took kids to go see the ballet The Nutcracker this past December and did not see any on-stage behavior whatsoever implying any sexual movement, and I have no objections to a winter guard show based on The Nutcracker being performed in front of youth; on the other hand no way would I take kids to go see the Broadway production of Equus with its sexual content and nudity, nor would I want kids to be in attendance and see a winter guard show based on that production; so your ‘guess’ is way out to lunch. And as for seeing a trend in sexual exploration in pushing the limits of show design I am not talking about the Scholastic Guards, most of them have to answer to school boards and community standards, but I am mainly referring to the Independents; and especially in the realm of the IW where adults are constructing more and more adult context show designs yet still performing them in front of a general audience which has many teenagers and youth in attendance. And please note, and read this carefully, I have no issues if those IW guards, as adults, perform adult contextual show designs for other adults; it is the ever increasing pushing the sexual and other adult issue boundaries within IW show design and then performing those shows in front of youth I have an issue with.

Ever watch much opera? Talk about some crazy stuff that would be considered pretty controversial in our circles. Yet I don't see you railing against them and judging those who enjoy it. I mean Carmen is about a hooker. Porgy and Bess? Miss Saigon(musical I know, based somewhat on an opera).

all of which have been done by guards and HS guards

silly silly silly :satisfied:

all of which have been done by guards and HS guards

silly silly silly :satisfied:

And drum corps. Madison did Carmen in 2005, SCV did it in 1990. Porgy and Bess has been pretty well covered by Spirit. Miss Saigon was SCV 1991.

• Like 1

An old school, old 1970's guard girl perspective...

In middle school we watched Sound of Music and West Side Story during music class. In high school we went on field trips to the theatre, ballet, opera, Gypsy Rose Lee, Swan Lake, Boris Gudunov.

In high school I performed in Annie Oakley (a cast member), The Music Man (a town gossip), Our Town (6 characters) and Sweet Charity (the lead character; do you wanna dance?)

In University I was makeup for 'Oh What a Lovely War', strike up/strike down set for 'Happy Birthday Wanda June', directed 'A Midsummer Night's Dream', watched a performance from a student of Andre Segovia and paid a monthly $5 student price to listen to Kitchener-Waterloo Symphony.

We went to movies like The Exorcist, Rocky Horror Picture Show, A Clockwork Orange...during university film appreciation course we explored and critiqued Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman, Alfred Hitchcock and Fellini.

Much of the above may have been performed by WGI and/or DCI which is why I like winterguard and drum corps. Conversely, I now know Einstein on the Beach as we attended 2013 drum corps finals and from viewing WGI Fan Network. Same music. Different interpretation. Most of the above were controversial in their time and some remain timeless. To each their own.

To Stu. I'm sorry I was Sweet Charity but the audience liked the show lots. The show must go on :smile:

• Like 2

If you mean growing a national audience for WGI and DCI with fans of musical art which has a sense of virtue like U2 or the Lt. Dan Band then I agree; however, if you mean growing a national audience for WGI and DCI with fans of the lowest common denominator of human decadence like Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus then I respectfully disagree.

funny. one of the most talked about shows for WGI Percussion this year was Dartmouth HS, which had some Lady Gaga in it...and a beheading. I know people who once they saw clips appear online, they made plans to go to Dayton to see it.