Controversy in WGI and DCI

Interesting........

Remember the controversy in 2012 with the high school band from Pennsylvania?

They did a show called "St. Petersburg 1917" where the parents alerted Fox News that they were concerned it was celebrating the Russian Revolution.

Haha!... Thats almost as nutty as small groups of parents and school board members that are" concerned" with small toy, wooden imitation rifles being used in School Marching Bands shows ( that have been used since like forever),,, or even sillier, Drum Corps Directors that are " concerned " about such siily nonsense. There are always some small cadre of busybodies in any large groups... most sensible people just chuckle at their hyper overworked imaginations with innocuous and harmless things displayed in shows.

Edited by BRASSO

2011 Madison Scouts,...... while wildly popular with fans, generated controversy with the Alica Keys Music Rights Agency, as they could never work out a satisfactory agreement with that multi millionaire outfit to enable them to put the popular " Empire State of Mind " fabulous ending on the DCI released videos and tapes of that show. What a shame too. I hope this diva Keys sings off key the rest of her life now.

Alicia and Jay-Z were not responsible for this. As I've written a few times, the reason was State Farm Insurance had an exclusive agreement to use the song in commercial, which was broadcast nationally during the televised 9/11 tenth anniversary remembrance. No one with Madison or DCI could find out a thing about this because to have the maximum impact, the commercial was kept quiet until it was broadcast. (This is the commercial where the children sang the song in a NYC fire department.) State Farm paid big bucks for the exclusivity of the song until September 11, 2011. Again, the artists had no culpability in this matter.

• Like 3

Alicia and Jay-Z were not responsible for this. As I've written a few times, the reason was State Farm Insurance had an exclusive agreement to use the song in commercial, which was broadcast nationally during the televised 9/11 tenth anniversary remembrance. No one with Madison or DCI could find out a thing about this because to have the maximum impact, the commercial was kept quiet until it was broadcast. (This is the commercial where the children sang the song in a NYC fire department.) State Farm paid big bucks for the exclusivity of the song until September 11, 2011. Again, the artists had no culpability in this matter.

Thanks for what went down here... sounds like it was a case of " like a bad neighbor, State Farm was there"... or some such by not waiving this denial of use by now anyway.

• Like 1

One thing that I found offensive in a different way at the winter percussion show i went to last Saturday was one line had these LED lights that were so bright I saw spots for two lines after that. The blue ones really hurt my eyes the orange ones not as much. I had to look away! It was a cool effect though. All the drums and keyboards had them.

Thanks for what went down here... sounds like it was a case of " like a bad neighbor, State Farm was there"... or some such by not waiving this denial of use by now anyway.

You're welcome, but I personally feel no ill will towards State Farm. I doubt there was ever any consideration that an ensemble that was part of any activity would want to get synch rites for the piece during the "blackout" period. It was just one of those things and Madison Scouts plus the fans who loved the closer (including me) got caught in the middle of it. If they had done the exact show the following year, there would have been no issue.

...are you talking about this show?

...that uses Quotes from Hellraiser until 3:44 which is the "moment" that is jarring apparently? That is a pretty jarring show for a high school Winter Guard, but it wasn't boring...

That Northmont show was nothing short of Awesome ...those girls were Bad***.

• Like 1

Wasn't there some WGI show in the early 2000s that said like "90% of females are closet whores" or something along those lines?

Edited by old skool drmmr