What would you do?

I know that you more than love to tweak me! And I also know how so very hard it was for you to pinch your nose and even come close to implying that I have stumbled upon an important matter to discuss in a thread. Anyway, thank you for seeing this, albeit hypothetical, thread as a topic of serious situations that many real life corps fall into.

I've lived it....and there are no easy answers, and often there isn't a happy ending.

For every Troop, you have Glassmen and Teal. 1 outta 3 is only good if you're playing in MLB. Again, the headaches and stress I was involved in have to pale in compaision to making these decisions about a DCi corps and all thats involved there.

Some people are willing to go for broke and hope they bail themselves out. Some are willing to try and restructure. it depends on so many different circumstances in each case, that...well...ya never know.

Stu -- I may have missed it somewhere along the way of 9 pages, but where is your Corps located geographically?

The reason I ask is that I think it makes a major difference whether you are located, for example, in Rosemont, Illinois (that Chicago proximity surely must be a nice situation for them), or are you located in Caspar, Wyoming (receipts from the yearly wolf-hunting contest and Bingo Barndance can only go so far, you know)?

Sell beer to fans from the food truck at shows?!?!?!

...and see liability insurance premiums shoot through the roof and suck up most of the profits from beer sales.

Not worth it.

(Besides, while I realize many fans would like to compare drum corps to sports, do we really want the "family entertainment" component of drum corps threatened by drunken fights over who has the better snare line?)

Excellent point, Garfield. "Fireman's Field Days" were once a staple of many small towns in central NY. However, more and more of them have gone by the wayside, citing the simple reason that they can no longer hold the event due to the insurance costs stemming from their beer tent(s).

...and see liability insurance premiums shoot through the roof and suck up most of the profits from beer sales.

Not worth it.

(Besides, while I realize many fans would like to compare drum corps to sports, do we really want the "family entertainment" component of drum corps threatened by drunken fights over who has the better snare line?)

yeah let the lot hounds bring their own beer...like they do now

:tounge2:

• Like 1

Stu -- I may have missed it somewhere along the way of 9 pages, but where is your Corps located geographically?

The reason I ask is that I think it makes a major difference whether you are located, for example, in Rosemont, Illinois (that Chicago proximity surely must be a nice situation for them), or are you located in Caspar, Wyoming (receipts from the yearly wolf-hunting contest and Bingo Barndance can only go so far, you know)?

This is sort of fun; or dumb depending on how you want to look at it. Anyway, to make it random, with no bias, I decided to take a big ole folded map I have not used in years, placed it on a bed, flipped a penny up into the air to land on the map, and then picked the closest place where the penny settled that DCI has a show scheduled in 2014. So, our corps is located in…. Overland Park, KS; which is a suburb just south-west of Kansas City.

Thanks, Stu.

Thank God the coin didn't land on Wainwright, Alaska.

Thanks, Stu.

Thank God the coin didn't land on Wainwright, Alaska.

Ahhhh…. but I did think of that ahead of time!!! If the penny had landed on Wainwright, Alaska our corps home base would have been Renton, WA, a suburb of Seattle; because remember part of the criteria of establishing our home base was the closest city from where the penny landed 'which is hosting a DCI event in 2014'. :cool:

Edited by Stu