What would you do?

At one point Suncoast Sound had ties to Circle K convince stores; The Knights were tied in with the motel chain Knights Inn; River City Railmen had ties to Union Pacific Railroad; Magic had some sort of connection to Disney; so I do not think there is a rule against such ties I just think that for-profit businesses want to see a return on investment even when sponsoring a non-profit.

Thank you very much. I was wondering about that. I know there were a few BITD that were tied in, (Wausau Story I think was another one). I can see your point though that companies would want to see a return on investment with a non-profit. A lot of them that do have wider audiences that can give the companies exposure or some sort of return. I guess the way to have a corps be sponsored by a company, they'd need to have an alum be a CEO of a company. Or find someone like Bill Cook is start a group

t for-profit businesses want to see a return on investment even when sponsoring a non-profit.

True. This is why they have stockholder meetings, quarterly reports to stockholders, etc and the like. Investors like me ..and everyone here, as we all have investment monies in these companies whether we are individual investors, or have our pension plans at work investing in the For Profits on our behalf, and so forth... all want these companies to make a buck.. the more bucks the better, as it naturally helps put money in our own pockets and those of our families. So For Profits are always looking for maximum ROI ( return on investment ). Show these companies how investing in DCI Corps gives these stockholders a great return on monies invested in your Corps ( over other investment opportunities out there by contrast ) and these For Profits will beat a path to your door to invest their capital with your Corps. But by and large, regrettably, DCI Corps have not been able so far to find a way to convince the For Profits how their stockholder investors can get a strong ROI. They all write checks to charities and so forth, but these all tend to be rather small, periodic, and not large and on going in nature, and certainly not sufficient enough to fund in any major way the now annual approx. million dollar cost for these WC DCI Corps.

Edited by BRASSO

True. This is why they have stockholder meetings, quarterly reports to stockholders, etc and the like. Investors like me ..and everyone here, as we all have investment monies in these companies whether we are individual investors, or have our pension plans at work investing on our behalf, and so forth... all want these companies to make a buck.. the more bucks the better, as it naturally helps put money in our own pockets and those of our families. So For Profits are always looking for maximum ROI ( return on investment ). Show these companies how investing in DCI Corps gives these stockholders a great return on monies invested in your Corps ( over other investment opportunities out there by contrast ) and these For Profits will beat a path to your door to invest their capital with your Corps. But by and large, regrettably, DCI Corps have not been able so far to find a way to convince the For Profits how their stockholder investors can make a strong ROI.

I believe the answer is either:

Eyeballs or losses for product development or charity for community good will.

Drum corps will never be profitable for a corporate sponsor unless they bring in advertising revenue through reach. Product development could help them test a product idea on a small group before taking the idea national or global.

I read the first page of the thread and then came to here to post my recommendation and this may have already been recommended. As someone that in addition to running my wealth management practice also serves as the chairman of the board for 2 non-profits, many times going to those reaping the benefits or those working with those people to have a vested interest can be very successful.

In the case of a drum corps struggling for funding, and honestly if I read correctly, the risk here is coming home from tour $60,000 in the red is not a large number to be raised. If you have 140 members and say another 30 between staff and support staff if each person is brough aware of the situation and given a goal to raise $352 I think you will easily raise the number. Give each person a few different ways to go about asking or ways that are successful raising funds so they do not have to create it on their own and let them run with it. Obviously they are passionate about the organization and that is very little if each person takes on their part.

JMO

I read the first page of the thread and then came to here to post my recommendation and this may have already been recommended. As someone that in addition to running my wealth management practice also serves as the chairman of the board for 2 non-profits, many times going to those reaping the benefits or those working with those people to have a vested interest can be very successful.

In the case of a drum corps struggling for funding, and honestly if I read correctly, the risk here is coming home from tour $60,000 in the red is not a large number to be raised. If you have 140 members and say another 30 between staff and support staff if each person is brough aware of the situation and given a goal to raise $352 I think you will easily raise the number. Give each person a few different ways to go about asking or ways that are successful raising funds so they do not have to create it on their own and let them run with it. Obviously they are passionate about the organization and that is very little if each person takes on their part.

JMO

I am typing outside the hypothetical as the real Stu; but the hypothetical CEO Stu would likely agree:

IMO, I can possibly see asking the paid staff. not the volunteers working for free, but the 'paid staff' to chip in somehow; or to also ask the alumni to possibly try and kick in a little more or figure out a few extra fund raising ideas. But for the current youth who are already paying thousands in out-of pockets fees/dues, as well as paying for their own transportation to/from camps, while I would consider the corps playing at a fundraising event or maybe a few small ensembles here and there doing the same, to me any money the performing youth raise 'individually' should first go into off-setting their fees/dues; and only after their individual funding matched their fees/dues responsibilities would I consider asking them if they would possibly do a little more as individuals to help the corps.

Edited by Stu

JMO

I agree that a $60m shortfall for a corps that's marching a full-corps in a full tour is not really a big problem; that's, what, about 10% or 12% shortfall in a seasonal budget? But I would be cautious that it's indicative of a deeper funding problem that needs to be addressed quickly (and harshly, according to the fictitious mandate that the Fictitious corps laid out for itself in the prior two years).

One season may not be a trend but, considering the "wobbly" financing success in the past couple of years, corps executives are not focusing enough attention on those responsible for funding the needs of the director's and staff's vision.

And I don't think that asking members and staff to pony up to cover management's shortcomings is proper in any case.

Edited by garfield

CONFIDENTIAL AND PRIVILEGED

Memo to Garfield, President, Fictitious

Dear Garfield,

I would like to refer you to my last confidential memo. This current situation of us possibly slightly missing the mark of projected revenue is not a competence issue; all on our staff, including me, have the skill sets to keep the organization in the black. The issue is one of time requirements vs. organizational needs. Our staff is working diligently to resolve the issue. And as Corps Director it has gotten to the point where I am spending upwards of 65 - 70 hours per week splitting time between administrative and development. In essence I am currently doing the work of both a CEO ‘and’ a CFO. When we were a smaller organization and less competitive in DCI this was not really a problem and the issues could be handled within a reasonable weekly schedule. Mind you I love what I am doing, I enjoy the business side of the administration, I am competent, and I desire to continue on as the Corps Director. However, now that we are moving into the mid to upper echelon of DCI WC this situation is becoming an issue because both administrative and development have become full-time commitments each. That is why I have asked you and the Board to investigate splitting the future duties between an administrative Corps Director and a newly created funding position of a Development Director. Other DCI WC corps Boards have seen the need for this split in duties, and they have moved in that direction. I request we follow suit.

Respectfully,

Stu Session.

Edited by Stu

CONFIDENTIAL AND PRIVILEGED

Memo to Garfield, President, Fictitious

Dear Garfield,

I would like to refer you to my last confidential memo. This current situation of us possibly slightly missing the mark of projected revenue is not a competence issue; all on our staff, including me, have the skill sets to keep the organization in the black. The issue is one of time requirements vs. organizational needs. Our staff is working diligently to resolve the issue. And as Corps Director it has gotten to the point where I am spending upwards of 65 - 70 hours per week splitting time between administrative and development. In essence I am currently doing the work of both a CEO ‘and’ a CFO. When we were a smaller organization and less competitive in DCI this was not really a problem and the issues could be handled within a reasonable weekly schedule. Mind you I love what I am doing, I enjoy the business side of the administration, I am competent, and I desire to continue on as the Corps Director. However, now that we are moving into the mid to upper echelon of DCI WC this situation is becoming an issue because both administrative and development have become full-time commitments each. That is why I have asked you and the Board to investigate splitting the future duties between an administrative Corps Director and a newly created funding position of a Development Director. Other DCI WC corps Boards have seen the need for this split in duties, and they have moved in that direction. I request we follow suit.

Respectfully,

Stu Session.

Dear Stu,

Please clarify what you mean by "future duties"? What time frame specifically?

And if you mean immediately, you're asking to hire this person now? If so, how would you pay for this new position? Will this person work gratis? Do you have someone in mind?

I appreciate the long hours and dedication with which you are working to make Fictitious a better drum corps.

Garfield

Dear Stu,

Please clarify what you mean by "future duties"? What time frame specifically?

And if you mean immediately, you're asking to hire this person now? If so, how would you pay for this new position? Will this person work gratis? Do you have someone in mind?

I appreciate the long hours and dedication with which you are working to make Fictitious a better drum corps.

Garfield

(from now on I think that the 'Dear...' will suffice as the hypothetical Confidential preface)

Dear Garfield,

Thank you for the kind words. I commend you and the rest of the Board because you have also worked hard at making this organization solid. I appreciate working with such knowledgeable and wise people; not only those who are my superiors, but also all of the wonderful people under my charge.

I am confident that for this fiscal year, unless a dire emergency arises, we will end in the black; maybe not by much, but we will end in the black. However, if the ever increasing time-commitment issues and separation of duties with the creation of a new DD position are not addressed in, say, the next two years, or we decide to be content at the competitive plateau where we are currently at for an indefinite number of seasons, organizational implosion is a likely scenario as we move forward into the future. That is why, as a preventative measure, I am asking the Board to begin 'investigating' the feasibility of a future CD/DD option at this juncture.

Respectfully,

Stu

Edited by Stu