What would you do?

Stu's getting schooled consistently. This is actually interesting to see unfold; as weird as it is, there's a lot of value to it, I think. Plus watching Stu go further and further out of his league is fun.

I don't think he's getting schooled at all. Yes, there are people contributing who may have a stronger expertise than he, but I would also submit that there are a good many of us who are "getting schooled" in this matter as well. We, however, did not put ourselves forward and open ourselves up. Stu did. And if nothing else, I think he deserves a good deal of credit for that. Personally, I have found these 14 pages to be intriguing to say the least -- even though (or maybe DUE to the fact) that my business acumen can easily be measured by a micrometer.

• Like 2

“The person who says that they do not want to learn from others, or does not open themselves up to be constantly receiving education on a daily basis from others, should never ever place themselves into a position of leading others; but should only place themselves in an isolated boat and fish by themselves.” – My Dad

I don't think he's getting schooled at all. Yes, there are people contributing who may have a stronger expertise than he, but I would also submit that there are a good many of us who are "getting schooled" in this matter as well. We, however, did not put ourselves forward and open ourselves up. Stu did. And if nothing else, I think he deserves a good deal of credit for that. Personally, I have found these 14 pages to be intriguing to say the least -- even though (or maybe DUE to the fact) that my business acumen can easily be measured by a micrometer.

I think it's largely reflective of the director who believes they know what they are doing by virtue of personal experience and the board with real business credentials. Whereas the director sounds great on his own, it becomes increasingly clear that he's simply out of his league when dealing with those who have experience outside of drum corps.

I'm not saying in a negative way; perhaps he's playing the part of the director who thinks they talk the talk to get Garfield to play the role of the person who actually knows what he's talking about.

I think it's largely reflective of the director who believes they know what they are doing by virtue of personal experience and the board with real business credentials. Whereas the director sounds great on his own, it becomes increasingly clear that he's simply out of his league when dealing with those who have experience outside of drum corps.

I'm not saying in a negative way; perhaps he's playing the part of the director who thinks they talk the talk to get Garfield to play the role of the person who actually knows what he's talking about.

"Playing the role of a person who actually knows what he's talking about."

Yep, that pretty much nails it.

:tounge2:

Perhaps,…… just perhaps I am the ‘playing the part’ of a well-meaning, and somewhat qualified, director of a corps like Teal Sound, like Glassmen, like Freelancers, Like Suncoast, like the directors of many corps which toppled as they climbed in rankings because they failed to see this as a business first and foremost. Perhaps,…… just perhaps Garfield is ‘playing the part’ of a very successful business owner as President of the Board offering guidance to the director of a corps like Teal Sound, like Glassmen, like Freelancers, Like Suncoast, like the directors of many corps which have toppled as they climbed in rankings. Perhaps,…… just perhaps this thread sort of organically developed into 'a hypothetical interaction' between the two of us which may show some, a little bit, a small part, of insight into how situations in corps making decisions might get them to the brink of heading down a path of eventual destruction, and how they might either get out of that situation or continue down the path of implosion. It is page 15, and perhaps, you wonder, is this is the case?

"Playing the role of a person who actually knows what he's talking about."

Yep, that pretty much nails it.

:tounge2:

Hey now, do not sell yourself short!!! In real life I am the one who is not allowed to use anything more than a rubber hammer that squeaks!!! :cool:

Dear Garfield,

Note: All specific documents related to our communication are located in our corporate virtual Dropbox account.

I have great respect for the Board, and yes there is always room for improvement, and yes we should always make sure the right people are in the right places. So here is a point by point response:

The break-even point considered at this juncture for this season is the zero balance 100% mark not the 80%/20%.

Dear Stu,

Does your reply indicate that you have already made up the current 25% funding shortfall you described in your initial email, or that you anticipate making up the shortfall over the remaining season?

If the former, what did you do to make up the shortfall and, if the latter, what circumstances give you optimism that you'll make up the shortfall by season-end?

Regards,

Garfield

Dear Garfield,

It is a combination of the former and the later. We have already secured new monetary sponsorships like Frank’s Famous BBQ and Jimbo’s Chop House, which are both internationally known establishments, to place their logos on our trailers (they were excited that we have traveling billboards going all across the nation); one of the smaller grants in which we were on the waiting list was approved and we received it two days ago; we have scheduled a brass quintet, and secured the players, to perform a contracted event at the KC Sport’s All-Star Mother’s Day Banquet; we have received permission for a silent auction at the National Association of Small Businesses annual meeting in which our alumni is hard at work securing items; and to free up some resources we have decide to also delay some things until next fiscal year like purchasing a new line of mellophones and replacing the main pit atv because the old ones are still in good shape. We are also looking into possibly liquidating some equipment that we rarely use but the research on that is still ongoing, as well as the research for garnering even more new revenue is always ongoing. So, the outlook is positive that we will at least hit the 100% break-even point, but probably not the desired 80/20.

Sincerely,

Stu

Dear Garfield,

It is a combination of the former and the later. We have already secured new monetary sponsorships like Frank’s Famous BBQ and Jimbo’s Chop House, which are both internationally known establishments, to place their logos on our trailers (they were excited that we have traveling billboards going all across the nation); one of the smaller grants in which we were on the waiting list was approved and we received it two days ago; we have scheduled a brass quintet, and secured the players, to perform a contracted event at the KC Sport’s All-Star Mother’s Day Banquet; we have received permission for a silent auction at the National Association of Small Businesses annual meeting in which our alumni is hard at work securing items; and to free up some resources we have decide to also delay some things until next fiscal year like purchasing a new line of mellophones and replacing the main pit atv because the old ones are still in good shape. We are also looking into possibly liquidating some equipment that we rarely use but the research on that is still ongoing, as well as the research for garnering even more new revenue is always ongoing. So, the outlook is positive that we will at least hit the 100% break-even point, but probably not the desired 80/20.

Sincerely,

Stu

Stu,

So, to summarize in as few words as possible, you

1. Called more people and made more pitches, and

2. Didn't spend needlessly on unnecessary new items

Is that a fair assessment?

Garfield

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1