The Purpose of DCI

Yes, I get it. So do you, you bonehead. Exactly what you said, that's the point. But I was addressing Slingerland's post that DCI <IS> like the NFL for these reasons. I was refuting THAT.

And my point was about actual function of the two organizations and their similarity, not about the specific subs of the 501 section of the tax code that they fell under.

Both exist to coordinate events and funnel money to their member groups. Since DCI doesn't, itself, educate anyone (where's the "System DCI" series of camps and clinics?), it's a bit of a stretch for anyone to think that education is a primary element of their business model. The NFL has an outreach and education aspect of what they do too - it doesn't make them the United Negro College Fund or the Red Cross.

Both organizations exist to service their members by turning their contests/games into as much cash as they can, which then goes to the members of the league - not to generate a lot of money that then stays in their own coffers.

Edited by Slingerland

Trombones!

Seriously... not sure I agree. I think their time would be better spent fleshing out the ideas I already mentioned.

the problem is the room isn't in agreement on those ideas.

I didn't read everything, but in short, DCI is like the NCAA and their associated conferences. The NCAA and conferences operate at the behest of the universities it serves and is responsible for maintaining rules, marketing, scheduling, and providing a framework for cooperation. It is not responsible for the success or fiscal health of it's member institutions. Because the NCAA president serves at the behest of college presidents and because membership is voluntary, the NCAA is in somewhat of a toothless position as well. DCI has little influence over the direction of drum corps because it is simply following directives from it's member institutions. One difference I see from the NCAA is that, in my opinion, there doesn't seem to be enough equity between members in DCI. There are definitely certain voices which are more influential than others. This probably has a lot to do with the fact there are way fewer member organizations in DCI than the NCAA.

If one is looking for someone to blame for an issue, blame the corps themselves. You could also blame them for for creating a toothless governing body which has little room to make autonomous decisions it believes to benefit the activity as a whole. On the flipside, the founders of DCI were trying to escape the "authoritarianism" of the old VFW-type governing bodies who dictated virtually everything to its members. I'm pragmatic about DCI in the same way I'm pragmatic about our government. The very nature of the organization sometimes prevents it from making sound decisions, but it's the best system we've got. Maybe a benevolent dictatorship is what we need ;)

• Like 1

I didn't read everything, but in short, DCI is like the NCAA and their associated conferences. The NCAA and conferences operate at the behest of the universities it serves and is responsible for maintaining rules, marketing, scheduling, and providing a framework for cooperation. It is not responsible for the success or fiscal health of it's member institutions. Because the NCAA president serves at the behest of college presidents and because membership is voluntary, the NCAA is in somewhat of a toothless position as well. DCI has little influence over the direction of drum corps because it is simply following directives from it's member institutions. One difference I see from the NCAA is that, in my opinion, there doesn't seem to be enough equity between members in DCI. There are definitely certain voices which are more influential than others. This probably has a lot to do with the fact there are way fewer member organizations in DCI than the NCAA.

If one is looking for someone to blame for an issue, blame the corps themselves. You could also blame them for for creating a toothless governing body which has little room to make autonomous decisions it believes to benefit the activity as a whole. On the flipside, the founders of DCI were trying to escape the "authoritarianism" of the old VFW-type governing bodies who dictated virtually everything to its members. I'm pragmatic about DCI in the same way I'm pragmatic about our government. The very nature of the organization sometimes prevents it from making sound decisions, but it's the best system we've got. Maybe a benevolent dictatorship is what we need ;)

Interesting thought, Medea. I've often thought that we place our nominees for elected office in the same quandary; If, during campaigning, they make promises, we expect them to deliver upon those promises. If they don't, then they're bums. Yet -- would we (as a total populace) ever elect someone who came out and said "I'm not going to make a single promise to you. All I'll promise you is that I will do the very best job that I possibly can within the partisan realities of government."?? I would think not. So...we beg those promises...yet in the backs of our minds know that many can't be fulfilled. It's a two-edged sword, for sure.

Oh Mark Emmert. He's such a joke at this point. For every time people think Hop says something weird and non-sensical, Emmert says 12 things. His Twitter interview during the week went about as well and hilariously as could be expected.

Oh Mark Emmert. He's such a joke at this point. For every time people think Hop says something weird and non-sensical, Emmert says 12 things. His Twitter interview during the week went about as well and hilariously as could be expected.

Just read the Emmert interview transcript from the "Mike & Mike" show, fsu. Total joke.

Just read the Emmert interview transcript from the "Mike & Mike" show, fsu. Total joke.

It's even amazing he could be understood with his foot that firmly planted in his mouth. Talk about someone out of touch with the multi-billion dollar body he's supposed to be running. I'm pretty sure the hosts knew exactly what would happen when they opened the questioning up to Twitter.

His name is considered a swear word in many parts of PA (aka Penn State land).

Google Kenesaw Mountain Landis and MLB. He was installed as the baseball czar after the 1919 World Series (Black Sox) fix. He played Joe Hard ### and "cleaned up" baseball like the owners wanted to restore the image. Problem was he kept going.... Something about after getting the power he kept wanting to use it......

His name is considered a swear word in many parts of PA (aka Penn State land).

Google Kenesaw Mountain Landis and MLB. He was installed as the baseball czar after the 1919 World Series (Black Sox) fix. He played Joe Hard ### and "cleaned up" baseball like the owners wanted to restore the image. Problem was he kept going.... Something about after getting the power he kept wanting to use it......

I know a lot about the legacy of Landis in baseball. He did do a lot of good, but also made a lot of bad decisions that eventually led to his being booted.