"Thanks for the Memories".

Man you got around Tommy, Lewiston and Seattle??? Hope you're better....

Had to respond because every time I see the thread title I start hearing 1976 Hershey Chocolatiers play "Thanks For The Memories" in my head.... :cool:

LOL noticed the Reverie Sit Down mention. In college at Doylestown PA (late 80s) my sister was wearing a corps shirt and one prof said he was with the Reveries. Name didn't mean anything to her and she asked me about it. All I knew was reading about the sit down in DCNews so I said "Ask if he was part of the Sit Down strike at VFW". She had no idea what I was talking about but "OK". Few days later I get a phone call.... "What the HELL was the VFW Sit Down Strike?. I asked and his jaw hit the ground...." :sadlike:

I explained but the answer was no, the prof missed it by a year or so......

Edited by JimF-LowBari

JimF;

"Man you got around Tommy, Lewiston and Seattle???"

Although I did indeed get around a lot. It was done in two ways. The years I did most of the Corps on that list, I was in the Navy. I was stationed at land Base's in those area's.

For Example:

When at NAS Brunswick Maine. I helped mostly with Honor Guard at Pine Tree. Just a helper to their Regular Corps Staff. The Honor Guard is almost Always the First thing people see. A good one in those day's helped portray a Corps image. Installing that in the HG, made those that are in the HG, and teaching some good Technique helped both the Corps and kids give a Good First Image. Let's face it. In those days a not so good Honor Guard could Cost the Corps some Big points. (Tic System) The "Off The Line" and the "Color Pre" being the areas of importance for them to Shine.

The same to some of the other Corps listed. (Navy Ship Yard Bremerton Washington. Navy Base Alameda, Calif., NAS Ellyson Field Pensacola, Fla.) I helped where I could.

Being a "Bus" (my Van) for about 8 or 9 Corps members of the Bleu Readers. When they lost their real bus while on tour. Carrying a Special "Ambassadors Award" banner/flag for the Reilly Raiders in the Savannah, Georgia St Patrick's Day Parade. What an Honor it was.

On and on I could go. What a Joy it was to keep doing Drum Corps so far from Home.

How wonderful.

Edited by 2B or not 2B

Had a feeling the travel involved being in the service. I work with IT for the Navy and did a lot of short term travel in the pre-Internet days. In my case was at NSY Portsmouth, NH so kinda close to Lewiston. And for Seattle at Puget Sound, Bremerton, Bangor and even Whidbey Island more times than I can count. And so many trips to Norfolk, VA that I know it's 305 miles from my front door to the Admiral Taussing Gate (via my back roads to avoid the DC Beltway). No Alameda trips but did Pearl Harbor, Guam, Sicily (Sigonella), Rota Spain and Iceland.

So burned out by travel I'm glad I can go to these places without leaving my desk. Thank you Al Gore for inventing the Internet (HA!)....

PS - Just remembed I saw Pine Tree in their 80s or so Senior version at DCA Prelims at Allentown once or twice...