Aimachi at WGI

Aimachi was fantastic. I was the most skeptical of everyone going into it, but man did they have a great sound! It was burning hot in the arena that night for some reason, and they managed to stay in tune and balanced. Got me wondering why they don't field a DCI corps.

Northglenn High School, however was another story. I clapped for the students after their performance because I know they worked hard. But man, if that's where the WGI Winds division is headed, count me out. The soloist/vocalist/narrator did a fantastic job, but I felt like I was watching corny high school music theater.

Also, this gives minicorps groups the chance to perform year-round if they so choose (competitively I mean). That's pretty cool IMO.

The audience at Dayton LOVED Aimachi. The reaction was great.

ABSOLUTELY-

I have been to Dayton many times, but my group this year were first timers. Many of them are wind players in the fall and we had a full troop of parents with us as well. ALL of us were left in awe of Aimachi's performance. I think what they did was fantastic! Same with Northglenn Performance Theater. A wonderful example of what can be done in an open setting. I know many go out of their way to criticize because its not what they did in their day, but honestly I think its a wonderful medium WGI is bringing forward. I was skeptical but after seeing two completely different extremes of two very different possibilities this weekend (multiple times each) I am full on board. I hope to see this really flourish!

Is the Aimichi show representative of what DCI had in mind for Soundsport?

Not really. It's what WGI has in mind as a representative of their new Winds Division beginning in 2015.

Once again, just about any musical performance can bring me to tears, usually just to see the kids lap up the audience's love.

I LOVED the group bow at the end! And I appreciated them waving to the crowd. As opposed to, say, trooping off the back sideline and out the tunnel while the applause is still going on.

I enjoyed this more than ensemble indoor because of the music. The battery/guard model has always left me cold.

I saw batons, trombones, reeds, concert percussion - everything I'd expect to see - except...

a battery.

There's waaaaayyyyyy too much that a good battery can bring to the performance that concert percussion just can't.

Oh, and I noticed they have the same amount of thunderous goo as Indy. Fans are probably used to it by now, but they could turn down their amps, too, IMO.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 2

Not really. It's what WGI has in mind as a representative of their new Winds Division beginning in 2015.

That's true, however its possible that there could be some overlap, or even a partnership. Might be good for both organizations to cross promote.

Also, this gives minicorps groups the chance to perform year-round if they so choose (competitively I mean). That's pretty cool IMO.

I'm personally not into the "mini corps in a gym" idea, but I do think that ANY additional performance opportunities for any genre is great.

• Like 1