Aimachi at WGI

That's true, however its possible that there could be some overlap, or even a partnership. Might be good for both organizations to cross promote.

I ran into Dan Acheson in Dayton and asked him about WGI Winds. He was extremely happy for WGI and believed any success WGI had with the venture could only be good news for SoundSport. He "gets" the idea that the more participants in any part of the marching activities will benefit all.

• Like 1

I ran into Dan Acheson in Dayton and asked him about WGI Winds. He was extremely happy for WGI and believed any success WGI had with the venture could only be good news for SoundSport. He "gets" the idea that the more participants in any part of the marching activities will benefit all.

I actually didnt speak to DAN but was standing with someone talking to him and he said the same to the person I was with. I got the impression that he thinks big changes are ahead, maybe not today or tomorrow but certainly in the future.

I respect Dan and DCI; and I am still looking forward to seeing how SoundSport grows. But unless the rules of engagement are similar between WGI Winds and DCI SoundSport I do not see much future crossover occurring. The way I am seeing this situation is sort of like one organization (WGI Winds) is establishing a projected growth model with well thought out parameters of performance competition to facilitate various indoor musical ensembles, and the other (DCI SoundSport) establishing projected growth by generally saying, ‘Well, some of y’all may be good ensembles, but this is mainly for fun and to help out small groups find a performance outlet and not really for competition, so all of y’all can just perform with what ya brung to the show and here we go.’ Not saying if one is better or worse than the other; but I am saying that they are vastly different in structure.

Edited by Stu

and the other (DCI SoundSport) establishing projected growth by generally saying, ‘Well, some of y’all may be good ensembles, but this is mainly for fun and to help out small groups find a performance outlet and not really for competition, so all of y’all can just perform with what ya brung to the show and here we go.’ Not saying if one is better or worse than the other; but I am saying that they are vastly different in structure.

Not sure I agree with how you portray the objective from DCI. Sounds a bit like the Beverly Hillbillies.

Edited by LincolnV

I respect Dan and DCI; and I am still looking forward to seeing how SoundSport grows. But unless the rules of engagement are similar between WGI Winds and DCI SoundSport I do not see much future crossover occurring. The way I am seeing this situation is sort of like one organization (WGI Winds) is establishing a projected growth model with well thought out parameters of performance competition to facilitate various indoor musical ensembles, and the other (DCI SoundSport) establishing projected growth by generally saying, ‘Well, some of y’all may be good ensembles, but this is mainly for fun and to help out small groups find a performance outlet and not really for competition, so all of y’all can just perform with what ya brung to the show and here we go.’ Not saying if one is better or worse than the other; but I am saying that they are vastly different in structure.

Not sure I agree with how you portray the objective from DCI. Sounds a bit like the Beverly Hillbillies.

(our lady of reluctant agreement, pray for us)

Stu is representing DCI's Soundsport strategy very accurately.

"Hey y'all. Come play on this here tarp" about sums it up.

• Like 2

According to the rules in SoundSport, not WGI Winds, but in SoundSport… a group can, if they desire, show up with just instruments like mouth harps, jugs, and kazoos, and then play the music from Green Acres, Hee Haw, ‘and’ Beverly Hillbillies. So, I think that my description of SoundSport is rather accurate, thank you.

• Like 1

Actually, as someone who works with a group that does both, its MORE expensive per capita to take a group to WGI than to BOA. In marching band, you have anywhere from 50-200 people paying for trucks, show design, props (when applicable), uniforms etc and other fixed expenses. In indoor, you still have the same gear to get from point A to point B, but have far fewer people to pay for it. Show design is less expensive, but not in proportion to the drop in membership. You still need any other fixed costs, and there are fewer people to pay for it.

Obviously the overall total number is lower, but most of these groups depend, to some extent, on individual membership "fair shares" and those fair shares are harder to keep low in indoor in my experience.

But what would be cheaper (and more rewarding): Taking your 50 members band to BOA where, even if they're good, they'll be dwarfed by that stadium and have that "small band" stigma on their shoulders OR take a competitive unit (whatever that size may be) to WGI Winds where they'll fill the arena nicely, be just the right size, and be surrounded by fans and other members that are supportive of each other all day long? I'm not saying WGI Winds is going to kill the "big dogs" of BOA or DCI, but I really think the venue and the style is going to really speak to a lot of programs in WGI.

• Like 1

so WGI Winds also includes guard and percussion...

interesting.

Same way Winter Guard International has percussion. The name isn't legally binding.