Ellis talks about wanting to make you uncomfortable with some of the dissonant themes of the show. BAC has succeeded at this with both the fans and the GE judges. I personally really like the show and that 2014 BAC has taken the risk to challenge the norm and get people thinking. Problem is that most drum corps fans and judges are not willing to take the time to understand what is really going on here, which I believe is driving the BAC staff marketing the show with the recent video releases.

Drum Corps fans and GE judges want to hear the beautiful and loud major chords and feel good and be wowed for the 11 minutes they devote to the show.

Blue Knights rise this year can be accredited to the fact that they decided to go the complete opposite "feely nicey" route. BK show is as close to what you would see at BOA Grand Nationals as any DCI show I've seen. The strategy is working for them with the fans and judges and they are executing the heck out of it so good for them.

This is however another case of the further drift for drum corps to some type of hybrid marching arts and they are getting rewarded for it.

As for BAC they will keep pushing cleaning and executing. They are a great corps with great show and I don't gava and will be off my seat cheering for them at the end.

• Like 1

This year's Boston Crusaders annual "Old School Challenge" fundraiser has the Crusaders going up against the Cadets.

"It's time to kick off Old School Challenge! In fundraising competition between The Cadets and Boston Crusaders, we're going head to head to see which corps can ...raise the most money starting today and ending on August 2."

bostoncadetschallenge.org

https://www.facebook.com/#!/BostonCrusaders?fref=nf

Edited by Barneveld

Ellis talks about wanting to make you uncomfortable with some of the dissonant themes of the show. BAC has succeeded at this with both the fans and the GE judges. I personally really like the show and that 2014 BAC has taken the risk to challenge the norm and get people thinking. Problem is that most drum corps fans and judges are not willing to take the time to understand what is really going on here, which I believe is driving the BAC staff marketing the show with the recent video releases.

Drum Corps fans and GE judges want to hear the beautiful and loud major chords and feel good and be wowed for the 11 minutes they devote to the show.

Blue Knights rise this year can be accredited to the fact that they decided to go the complete opposite "feely nicey" route. BK show is as close to what you would see at BOA Grand Nationals as any DCI show I've seen. The strategy is working for them with the fans and judges and they are executing the heck out of it so good for them.

This is however another case of the further drift for drum corps to some type of hybrid marching arts and they are getting rewarded for it.

As for BAC they will keep pushing cleaning and executing. They are a great corps with great show and I don't gava and will be off my seat cheering for them at the end.

Well put. Boston scores were odd IMO. totally out of sink. I will keep my mind open. Out of 8 caption. 1 up 5 down and two stayed the same at TOC show.

Edited by emc2

Age old beef, but every year DCI makes the 7th through 14th the most interesting story lines of the summer! You would think they would grasp the reality that that is where the drama lives!!! Do that with the top six!! Its like the pennant is over in July, and no one wants to go to the ballpark. Let me believe that 4th could jump to 1st on August 8th, make me want to be there to feel the energy of the corps that night , and think that could put them over the top. Madison 1988 anyone? Dinosaur signing off, but to all the young guys, it was sooooo much better when it wasn't so pre determined!!

Age old beef, but every year DCI makes the 7th through 14th the most interesting story lines of the summer! You would think they would grasp the reality that that is where the drama lives!!! Do that with the top six!! Its like the pennant is over in July, and no one wants to go to the ballpark. Let me believe that 4th could jump to 1st on August 8th, make me want to be there to feel the energy of the corps that night , and think that could put them over the top. Madison 1988 anyone? Dinosaur signing off, but to all the young guys, it was sooooo much better when it wasn't so pre determined!!

a clear winner doesnt mean pre determined...just means clearly a winner...not the winners fault...usually at lower levels there is more room to grow from a corps standpoint. Not that top 6 dont improve

but you are right theres always alot of excitement and possible movement up or down in the 2nd group of corps

Edited by GUARDLING

If you want to bet on a pick four, on the top four this year, let me know. Love drum corps, then and now, I repeat, give me a real fight on the top placements, Let the fourth place corps going into Finals actually think they have a shot!! Especially, let the public think they have a shot. Just my opinion like I said, I will continue to support and attend drum corps shows for as long as they exist, Would like to see more movement, but if its not there? You can't make it up either....

If you want to bet on a pick four, on the top four this year, let me know. Love drum corps, then and now, I repeat, give me a real fight on the top placements, Let the fourth place corps going into Finals actually think they have a shot!! Especially, let the public think they have a shot. Just my opinion like I said, I will continue to support and attend drum corps shows for as long as they exist, Would like to see more movement, but if its not there? You can't make it up either....

but cant blame DCI for that only the corps for improving or not. SUre its easy to pick top 4. If anyone knows anything about the activity its not all that hard. CAn there be movement YES but its up to the corps. in the lower part of the pack there is also less consistency which also makes things less predictable. A big reason IMO

Edited by GUARDLING

Drum Corps fans and GE judges want to hear the beautiful and loud major chords and feel good and be wowed for the eleven minutes they devote to the show.

Lots of dark shows have done well throughout DCI's history. I'm not a big fan of BD's rather fractured 2010 show with its 90 seconds of near-noise in the middle, but the judges sure were.

As for GE judges this year, note that one of them in Atlanta put Boston fourth in GE Rep.

From their Akron debut on June 21, when they scored 66.4, until tonight [July 19], 28 days later in San Antonio where they scored 82.425, Boston has improved an average of 0.572 points per day. With 21 days left to Finals (and it now seems highly likely that they will appear in Finals), if they keep up that rate of improvement, they will score a 94.445. Can they do it?

With a score of 84.450 in the July 23 Little Rock show, even though scores at that show seems a bit depressed overall, Boston is only slightly off their earlier pace. Their average improvement for the summer is now 0.564 points per day. If they keep it going, they'll score 94.040 in Finals. Here's hoping.

Friday night's drop in Nashville was so predictable I'm kicking myself for not having predicted it out loud. Going on between Cadets and Crown, before the intermission, and with their nearest-scoring G7 member not appearing until three corps later? Of course they were likely to slip. Tonight in Atlanta, with Phantom on before the intermission and Boston after, and not having to perform between two of the top five, Boston recovered quite well.

Their 86.650 tonight (July 26) means that Boston has improved from their Akron debut at an average of 0.563 per day, barely behind their pace a few days ago, although just enough that, if they keep up this incredibly rapid rate of improvement, their Finals score will be slightly lower than previously estimated: 93.965.

Given that their best-ever Finals score was a 92.400, this admittedly looks unlikely. However, at this point in that year, 2002, they had just placed eighth in a regional with a score of 87.150. In two weeks, they moved up three placements and more than five points. That should give them hope for the two remaining weeks of this season.

• Like 1