Music and Traffic and Domes, OH MY!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If DCI Midwest is horrible to have in the dome, then they should probably move the BOA Grand National Finals too, eh?

It's not that bad, though...it gives it more "resonance", I guess. It's the closest thing to me, so I'm not complaining.

That #### RCA dome is the worst place imaginable for a show. With a great stadium, with more concert side seats so close in Bloomington, why not have the show there???

Harvey Phelps

I went to a couple of shows in Bloomington hosted by Star of Indiana, and you're right - great drum corps stadium. I think Indinanapolis is another example of DCI trying to cozy up to the band community - or become indistinguishable from it - (with BOA being held in the RCA, and all).

On a related note, I have read several posts where people report audience members only watching the show of the one corps they are interested in, or connected to, and leaving to socialize during the other performances. This is incredibly bando behavior, and saddens me greatly if it is becoming a trend. ALL of the corps deserve to be shown respect by the audience, and part of that is watching every corps as attentively as possible. Of course there are circumstances where leaving the stadium and missing a performance or two is inevitable, but I really do believe that there should be a higher level of etiquette expected at a Drum Corps show than what you normally find in a marching band audience. I think it is the duty of all experienced Drum Corps fans to inform any new audience members they introduce to the activity about the traditions and etiquette expected at a Drum Corps show (no excessive talking during performances, pay attention to what's going on on the field, don't call them bands, do stand and applaud as corps troop the stands, no cell phones, no babies, etc...) .

Just my $.02.

Memorial Stadium at IU in Bloomiongton, Ind. now has a grass field ... no longer turf. I agree, it was a great place to have a drum corps show.

I went to a couple of shows in Bloomington hosted by Star of Indiana, and you're right - great drum corps stadium. I think Indinanapolis is another example of DCI trying to cozy up to the band community - or become indistinguishable from it - (with BOA being held in the RCA, and all).

On a related note, I have read several posts where people report audience members only watching the show of the one corps they are interested in, or connected to, and leaving to socialize during the other performances. This is incredibly  bando behavior, and saddens me greatly if it is becoming a trend. ALL of the corps deserve to be shown respect by the audience, and part of that is watching every corps as attentively as possible. Of course there are circumstances where leaving the stadium and missing a performance or two is inevitable, but I really do believe that there should be a higher level of etiquette expected at a Drum Corps show than what you normally find in a marching band audience. I think it is the duty of all experienced Drum Corps fans to inform any new audience members they introduce to the activity about the traditions and etiquette expected at a Drum Corps show (no excessive talking during performances, pay attention to what's going on on the field, don't call them bands, do stand and applaud as corps troop the stands, no cell phones, no babies, etc...) .

Just my $.02.

w/Stp: w/Stp: w/Stp:

I couldnt agree more!!! It would drive me nuts if I was performing at a show, when I and everyone else worked our butts off to get better, then we get on the field, and the crowd isnt even paying attention to us! That would be soooo frustrating!!! I dont think that actually happened, but i could understand how that would feel! (oh, and btw, great review!! Especially Crown's! :D)

Memorial Stadium at IU in Bloomiongton, Ind. now has a grass field ... no longer turf. I agree, it was a great place to have a drum corps show.

Soon to change, I believe...

IU is going back to turf? It could only help the football team. They won when they were on turf. I'm an IU person, so please, no flames ... what's the word on the change? I read the Indy Star on the Web and saw nothing ... we're former Hoosiers.

I'm a current Hoosier. I read a column, a couple pages back in the sports section, mentioning the change. It's true. Go Here for more on it.

Edited by Maedhros