DCP Poster's view toward DCI

Your Thoughts on DCI, the organization  

173 members have voted

1. 1. What's your general view of DCI?

• I'm generally positive about what I see and post about DCI.
    • I'm generally negative about what I see and post about DCI.
    • I'm generally neutral about what I see see and post about DCI.
    • My opinion and posts about DCI are specific to the issue discussed. Some good, some not.
  2. 2. What's your perception of OTHER poster's opinions?

• From what I read, I think most DCP posters are positive about DCI.
    • From what I read, I think most DCP posters are negative about DCI.
    • From what I read, I think most DCP posters are neutral about DCI
    • From what I read, I think most DCP poster's opinion is dependent on the issue being discussed. Some good, some not.

I'm interested to see if DCP posters are generally negative and critical of DCI or are, instead. generally positive and complimentary of DCI.

Not about a specific topic, just about DCI, the organization, in general.

Please answer two questions from your own perspective.

Poll is not public, and comments are welcome.

Since, obviously, the broader the votes the more valid the poll, so I'll likely bump as the season picks up and fans circle in for a view.

Edited by garfield

I'm interested to see if DCP posters are generally negative and critical of DCI or are, instead. generally positive and complimentary of DCI.

Not about a specific topic, just about DCI, the organization, in general.

Please answer two questions from your own perspective.

Poll is not public, and comments are welcome.

Since, obviously, the broader the votes the more valid the poll, so I'll likely bump as the season picks up and fans circle in for a view.

Its early in the poll taking, but it appears that the majority of DCP'ers are either positive about DCI, or see their other DCPers as being being neither critical, nor positive of DCI, and that the majority of respondents in the poll believe its dependent upon what the topic is regarding DCI, and how supportive or critical they see others is based more upon the topic itself, rather than a blanket citiciism or blanket endorsement of DCI itself. It seems that majority of respondents view their fellow DCP'ers in a reasonable and balanced approach although it should be pointed out that a sizeable minority of respondents do see their fellow DCP's as being critical of DCI. Not sure if this says more about the DCP'ers, or more about DCI, but that answer probably lies beyond the scope of this poll. Nevertheless, this is an interesting poll, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

Yeah, looking at the poll results so far, half of us are like this...

duty_calls.png

And to be dead honest, it shows. I don't even bother to look at half these threads anymore because they tend to devolve into an argument between two or three individuals who never seem to be able to see eye-to-eye on anything. Their fighting snowballs until a mod comes in and closes the thread, and the cycle starts over again in another thread. It's like Tumblr... I promise myself that I will escape many times, but always find myself dragged back in because it's honestly the fastest way I get drum corps news and announcements.

And FWIW, I voted both for both "depends on the issue" topics. It's an easy separation though: Nobody DARES to talk #### on an individual corps, but it's perfectly acceptable to talk gloom and doom on DCI as a whole.

• Like 1

duty_calls.png

And to be dead honest, it shows. I don't even bother to look at half these threads anymore because they tend to devolve into an argument between two or three individuals who never seem to be able to see eye-to-eye on anything. Their fighting snowballs until a mod comes in and closes the thread, and the cycle starts over again in another thread. It's like Tumblr... I promise myself that I will escape many times, but always find myself dragged back in because it's honestly the fastest way I get drum corps news and announcements.

And FWIW, I voted both for both "depends on the issue" topics. It's an easy separation though: Nobody DARES to talk #### on an individual corps, but it's perfectly acceptable to talk gloom and doom on DCI as a whole.

I thought of Godfather III when I read this: "Every time I think I'm out, they pull me back in again." Funny.

Because this is a private poll, I hope to keep the bickering kids at bay.

And I hope you see the distinction between the doom and gloom talk of the activity v. one's opinion of DCI, the org, and what it does. I'm hoping poll votes reflect the latter, not the former.

duty_calls.png

: Nobody DARES to talk #### on an individual corps, but it's perfectly acceptable to talk gloom and doom on DCI as a whole.

I hear you, but one can go onto the show review section of this site, and it seems to me that anyone that wanted to say something critical of an individual corps show performance, did not seem constrained in the least ( nor should they be, imo ). I think there is a healthy balance of both a few " doom and gloomers " posting re. DCI, as well as the unabashed uncritical handful of " DCI cheerleaders" waving their pom poms up high for DCI whenever possible... but with the majority of DCP posters however ( as the poll confirms ) seeing balanced discussions, observations, assessments, etc on the whole from their fellow DCP'ers on here.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

The many contributions of a few posters outweigh the sparse contributions from a handful of others. And everyone would like to see themselves as the last poll option. However, I promise there are votes there that don't belong there.

• Like 1

And I hope you see the distinction between the doom and gloom talk of the activity v. one's opinion of DCI, the org, and what it does. I'm hoping poll votes reflect the latter, not the former.

Yeah, my vote still stands as such (every organization has its ups and downs, especially DCI, and I am willing to either praise or bash them for it), but I do see that distinction... Just pointing out that (by looking at the polls so far) many posters feel as if they are the only supporter in a sea of unhappiness, and a lot of topics on this board reflect that.

I hear you, but one can go onto the show review section of this site, and it seems to me that anyone that wanted to say something critical of an individual corps show performance, did not seem constrained in the least ( nor should they be, imo ). I think there is a healthy balance of both " doom and gloomers " posting re. DCI, as well as the unabashed" cheerleaders" waving pom poms for DCI whenever possible... but with the majority of DCP posters ( as the poll confirms ) seeing balanced discussions on the whole from their fellow DCP'ers on here.

I didn't clarify that last statement... When I said nobody would #### on a corps, I meant the corps itself. I see PLENTY of bashing of performances and individual shows by corps, but it takes a real troll/hater to personally attack a corps. When I see a poster bashing Crown 2013 or BD 2012, I see someone bashing the direction DCI is taking and using Crown and BD as DCI's mouthpiece... even when a large number of shows aren't necessarily taking the same path as those shows.

As for "doom and gloom" vs. "pom-poms," refer to CCorps post above. The majority of us are silent BECAUSE WE DON'T NEED TO ARGUE.

• Like 1

I think DCI does some great things. And I think DCI does some stupid things.

thats an option I'd vote for

• Like 4

This is a great subject, although I think the last choice in each set is nearly always true, and can be true along with one of the other choices. Option 4 could be split off into a different question.

How about this:

Question 1. Compared to other DCPers, my DCP posts toward DCI are:

- Much more positive

- Somewhat more positive

- About as positive/negative as others

- Somewhat more negative

- Much more negative

2. Compared to other DCPers, my actual views toward DCI are:

- Much more positive

- Somewhat more positive

- Somewhat more negative

- Much more negative

Or just combine the two questions ("posts/views") if the distinction isn't necessary. I don't know if this is what you were going for.

This is a great subject, although I think the last choice in each set is nearly always true, and can be true along with one of the other choices. Option 4 could be split off into a different question.

How about this:

Question 1. Compared to other DCPers, my DCP posts toward DCI are:

- Much more positive

- Somewhat more positive

- Somewhat more negative

- Much more negative

2. Compared to other DCPers, my actual views toward DCI are:

- Much more positive

- Somewhat more positive

- Somewhat more negative

- Much more negative

Or just combine the two questions ("posts/views") if the distinction isn't necessary. I don't know if this is what you were going for.

I get it. But how one posts compared to others is not my question. I want to know the general attitude and posting habits regarding DCI, not regarding other posters. Your method is for your madness, but it's a different madness than mine.

:tounge2: