Composers and Drum Corps

I remember reading once that Berstein may have heard the then Garfield Cadets version of West Side Story and that Chuck Mangione had got involved with the Blue devils when they played Legend of the One Eyed Sailor. I was curious whether any other composers had heard Drum Corps renditions of their pieces and had given an opinion on the arrangement.

The two recent cases that come to mind are John Mackey with the Bluecoats in 2010 and 2011 and Bertrand Moren with Carolina Crown in 2011.

2_zps734aca39.jpg

1_zps78628b77.jpg

I would imagine this happens all the time. Especially if the composer is American and...of course, still alive.

many years ago Chick Corea sat down with BAC when they played some of his music.

From what I understand, David Maslanka does not allow drum corps to use his music, so that would make sense.

Also, I know for a fact that Bertrand Moren adores what Crown has done with his music in 2012 and 2013.

And, finally, while Bernstein may have heard drum corps play his music, those who own it now absolutely HATE drum corps using it. In 2009, when like 10 corps used Bernstein's music-that was the last straw. The Bernstein Foundation now either wants A. the arrangement to be a direct transcription in order for it to be performed (essentially impossible in drum corps), or B. for the corps to pay an ABSURD amount of money in order for the music for be performed. In fact, I also know that this is the exact reason why Blast! no longer performs "Gee, Officer Krupke" or "Appalachian Spring" (Copland's music is also absurdly expensive).

David Maslanka got involved with Cavies once ... and not in a good way, IIRC

It's a shame he doesn't want his music to be used, have heard his Symphony #4 and Traveler performed here and performed Give us This Day, he writes some hauntingly beautiful and intense music. But it's his music and he has every right.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 1

I recall Boston went down to a pre show to play for Pat Metheny and he had them play for the crowd as a warm up to his show? Of course this was the year they played his music.