Blue Devils 2014 Thread

my friend, and do consider you an online friend ( agree or not ) but sometimes it's very clear when someone comes to the site clearly just to argue,or make themselves feel good about themselves, SO at some point who cares what a person like that has to say. There's an agenda, and it has nothing to do with the subject. JMO

This. Brutus is not here to debate or discuss, so I have no interest in debating or discussing his points. I honestly think he is taking flags on a football field waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too seriously, so I give him some light-hearted ribbing instead.

• Like 1

You're missing the point. The point of focus of this conversation is BD's casual, behind-the-scenes transitions which lack definition, and how to fix them. (There are several of these sloppy, empty transitions.) Character interaction like the kind you see on set is one way to augment these weak transitions.

I think you are missing most of what BD is actually doing. Watch some of their "inside360" videos.... they show how they go into great depths to define the character at each moment of the show... especially in these so called "casual" transitions. That is when they overload the 'character' focus the most. And this comes across in a HUGE way when viewing the show. The thing you are complaining about... and saying they do not do... is precisely what BD does so well. Go watch the show again.... you must have missed a ton.

• Like 1

my friend, and do consider you an online friend ( agree or not ) but sometimes it's very clear when someone comes to the site clearly just to argue,or make themselves feel good about themselves, SO at some point who cares what a person like that has to say. There's an agenda, and it has nothing to do with the subject. JMO

I do you as well, absolutely! I learn a lot from your perspective on the activity.

Ah, I've only just begun looking through the posts for the evening and came across these, so I haven't gad the chance to see a pattern, so I guess I'll keep reading.

• Like 1

I think you are missing most of what BD is actually doing. Watch some of their "inside360" videos.... they show how they go into great depths to define the character at each moment of the show... especially in these so called "casual" transitions. That is when they overload the 'character' focus the most. And this comes across in a HUGE way when viewing the show. The thing you are complaining about... and saying they do not do... is precisely what BD does so well. Go watch the show again.... you must have missed a ton.

See, there has been good in this exchange, because I NEVER got the impression of the 'character' focus. I'm no longer immersed in the world of pageantry, so I probably miss some of these nuances. At the very least, it's something else for me to look at. Is there another corps that does this? I just seems like something that a Winter Guard show would have; and I'm honestly trying to find this type of stuff to look for in their show so that I may "get" their shows better.

So, I get ganged up on for being too critical of another corps, so I'll balance things out here somewhat (for what it's worth).

Absolutely love BD's production this year. It's a well orchestrated, well planned, seamless production. They deserve to win by 2+ points and be one if not the highest scoring programs ever.

I must admit, I've not always been a fan of their shows. I've liked parts of shows, but never a full production until the last three years. When they changed to the "interpretive" shows starting in '08, I wasn't a fan. Something seemed disconnected, too calculated, too "art for art's sake." Then in '12 I though they finally got it right. Their approach seemed more complete.

Anyway, this show has all the intellectual and high-brow appeal while being very melodic and engaging. The staff and members have really reached a new level this year in demand, content, and achievement.

#16!!!

• Like 1

quietcity, on -6 Aug 2014

How much verisimilitude to [sic] you require?

====

You're missing the point. The point of focus of this conversation is BD's casual, behind-the-scenes transitions which lack definition, and how to fix them. (There are several of these sloppy, empty transitions.) Character interaction like the kind you see on set is one way to augment these weak transitions.

= = =

BD's show is artistic, lyrical fantasy inspired by Fellini's oeuvre, not a point-by-point recreation...

= = =

Congratulations on recognizing the basic thematic focus of BD's show. Your next step is to realize that just because it's a tribute, it's not an excuse for empty transitions without character, activity, emotion or focus. Fellini never had these, and your dismissing it as "a fantasy inspired by" is an excuse for sloppy, lazy "who cares" generation Y garbage transitions. In a college environment, your "interpretation" defense as an excuse for a lack of clarity wouldn't hold water, and frankly would be the laughing stock.

===

There is little unity in his films.

===

Focus. In the final moments of this tribute, the guard collectively, and in a unified way, gathers on the table in order to pay homage to Felllni. Are you with us? The ending of BD's show conveys a unified gathering and collective consensus. (The focus at this point in the show is the final agreement by the players in this tribute, not the theme of the artist's individual struggle). The guardwork should be unified too.

Rowr, such pique! such passion! I really admire your unwavering belief that there is invariably the one absolute and best-est interpretation for every artistic gesture. And thank goodness that sanctified interpretation rests snugly in your brawny and capable hands.

You remind me of someone, lets see, who was it that said..."Talk not to me of blasphemy, man; I'd smite the sun if it insulted me!"

You remind me of someone, lets see, who was it that said..."Talk not to me of blasphemy, man; I'd smite the sun if it insulted me!"

What is it about some people on this forum that write like this? Flammaster posts random thoughts like he forgot his medication on a daily basis and you write as though I'm having a spoken conversation with you. Also, Brutus has a paper thin argument and writes solely to stir reactions. He is not worth the time of day. Why does such a fantastic show attract such mediocre posting on this thread? (this one included)

See, there has been good in this exchange, because I NEVER got the impression of the 'character' focus. I'm no longer immersed in the world of pageantry, so I probably miss some of these nuances. At the very least, it's something else for me to look at. Is there another corps that does this? I just seems like something that a Winter Guard show would have; and I'm honestly trying to find this type of stuff to look for in their show so that I may "get" their shows better.

Interesting thing I noticed while watching an InsideBD360 episode:

Sometimes the corps will finish a passage and immediately start acting out strange characters (One guy uses his instrument like a metal detector, one uses it like its a balloon about to carry him away). The corps staff has made it so that each of these tiny additions to the show is a different character - that means well over 100 different characters!

What is it about some people on this forum that write like this? Flammaster posts random thoughts like he forgot his medication on a daily basis and you write as though I'm having a spoken conversation with you. Also, Brutus has a paper thin argument and writes solely to stir reactions. He is not worth the time of day. Why does such a fantastic show attract such mediocre posting on this thread? (this one included)

It's the internet. Unfortunately, you can't ALWAYS expect intelligent conversation.

...you write as though I'm having a spoken conversation with you...

But I was not having a conversation with you, dear benighted Shade. I was having a conversation with Brutus. Perhaps you did not read the exchanges between Brutus and myself, in which we were (heatedly) debating the merits of BD's show vis-à-vis Fellini.

As for the literary allusion, a little bit of Google would make manifest my intent. I am available for any questions.