Is Drum Corps International doing a "good job?"

68 members have voted

1. 1. Is Drum Corps International doing a "good job?"

• Yes
    • No

From a "fan of the activity" viewpoint, I don't think they're doing a good job. Why? Because they keep having finals in a place that is horrible acoustically and boring to visit

On the flip side, it's my understanding that the financial aspect involved with Finals in Indy are FAR more beneficial than cosmetic or acoustic detriments. Saying Indy is "boring to visit" is sort of irrelevant: most people would say Madison = DCI epitome of awesome, but there's not a lot (if anything) to do in Madison outside of going to DCI Finals & drinking

• Like 3

On the flip side, it's my understanding that the financial aspect involved with Finals in Indy are FAR more beneficial than cosmetic or acoustic detriments. Saying Indy is "boring to visit" is sort of irrelevant: most people would say Madison = DCI epitome of awesome, but there's not a lot (if anything) to do in Madison outside of going to DCI Finals & drinking

Ok, from a fan's view of being able to enjoy the acoustics of the venue during the most important show of the year, dci did a poor job with the stadium selection. I'm happy it's good for them financially. I also won't attend. No indoor shows for me. Oh well.

Ok, from a fan's view of being able to enjoy the acoustics of the venue during the most important show of the year, dci did a poor job with the stadium selection. I'm happy it's good for them financially. I also won't attend. No indoor shows for me. Oh well.

if you can believe it many do like it , even if it's a sacrifice in a few areas, weather, comfort etc etc.....I think there was a 19 59 championships inside in Atlantic city ( Cadets won ) been done before I guess. I know many who stopped going when it was other places and then rained out or had to watch stand stills for shows.one can say , well it hasnt been rained out much. Once is enough with the cost of things or the stress of not knowing if it would be IMO. I know if it were me for the cost of these regional's and travel and hotels etc etc. I would much rather know it wasnt going to be rained out and spend that much to watch a standstill.

Edited by GUARDLING

if you can believe it many do like it , even if it's a sacrifice in a few areas, weather, comfort etc etc.....I think there was a 19 59 championships inside in Atlantic city ( Cadets won ) been done before I guess. I know many who stopped going when it was other places and then rained out or had to watch stand stills for shows.one can say , well it hasnt been rained out much. Once is enough with the cost of things or the stress of not knowing if it would be IMO. I know if it were me for the cost of these regional's and travel and hotels etc etc. I would much rather know it wasnt going to be rained out and spend that much to watch a standstill.

That's great. Everyone gets to choose. And I hope you enjoy it. For me, the bad acoustics are a deal breaker. Nothing else can compensate for that.

That's great. Everyone gets to choose. And I hope you enjoy it. For me, the bad acoustics are a deal breaker. Nothing else can compensate for that.

That's to bad and you certainly are entitled to spend you money on things you enjoy. You still seem to have passion but in this circumstance can't or won't get beyond it and I understand that totally. There are things I also have moved on from , as many of us do as we get older . Things change, people change, likes and dislikes change, the world changes.

Edited by GUARDLING

That's to bad and you certainly are entitled to spend you money on things you enjoy. You still seem to have passion but in this circumstance can't or won't get beyond it and I understand that totally. There are things I also have moved on from , as many of us do as we get older . Things change, people change, likes and dislikes change, the world changes.

I remember taking one of my kids to a show in the Milwaukee area, maybe 2001? Anyway as the Scouts went on the skies opened up in one of those Midwest summer downpours. The Scouts performed their show in the downpour (no lightning) and the entire crowd was standing and going crazy the whole time. Heck, it was raining so hard the sound was muffled (weird) so, what the heck, can't really hear it, getting drenched, might as well get up and scream. What a memory! So, yeah, give me my drum corps outdoors. Hot, cold, beautiful, rainy, I don't care.

• Like 1

I remember taking one of my kids to a show in the Milwaukee area, maybe 2001? Anyway as the Scouts went on the skies opened up in one of those Midwest summer downpours. The Scouts performed their show in the downpour (no lightning) and the entire crowd was standing and going crazy the whole time. Heck, it was raining so hard the sound was muffled (weird) so, what the heck, can't really hear it, getting drenched, might as well get up and scream. What a memory! So, yeah, give me my drum corps outdoors. Hot, cold, beautiful, rainy, I don't care.

We all applaud the effort under not so perfect circumstances . Ask a crowd if they want that or on a regular basis given the money they spend. But as I said, we all have choices and obviously you are a passionate person of the activity and it's good to look back at great memories. When something doesn't do that for a person anymore it could just mean it's time to move on. Like you said or implied it's a deal breaker for you. No one or nothing can take the great memories away and that's a good thing.

Edited by GUARDLING

We all applaud the effort under not so perfect circumstances . Ask a crowd if they want that or on a regular basis given the money they spend. But as I said, we all have choices and obviously you are a passionate person of the activity and it's good to look back at great memories. When something doesn't do that for a person anymore it could just mean it's time to move on. Like you said or implied it's a deal breaker for you.

You might be drifting into a - if you don't like it, leave - reply. Please don't go there. You are too well spoken to drop to that level. I don't think you're meaning to go there. So I'll assume you're not.

You might be drifting into a - if you don't like it, leave - reply. Please don't go there. You are too well spoken to drop to that level. I don't think you're meaning to go there. So I'll assume you're not.

no not at all. Just saying memories are great and no changes or whether the activity moves forward for the better or worse NO ONE can take those memories that we cherish away. Although I am very current in the activity ( I like to think anyway..lol ) There are many things I would love to see revert back BUT there are many things in life in general I would like to revert back to. will it? no, do I think many today in many aspects of life are missing something. YES I do.

For me anyway I just move forward and try to inject some of what I have experienced, even some of the old past so that some of these kids today might experience a fraction of what I did.

With that said , for me, I have also learned and continually like to think I am learning still to this day which may be a reason I have had such longevity in the activity, summer and winter programs.

I by no means are telling you how to feel or what you should or should not accept, that's a personal choice. Nor am I telling you , there's the door, that's also not for anyone to decide but you. Hopefully you choose not to. The activity does needs the support of all.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

Outside of a small group of legacy fans, the activity turns over its fan base about every three years. I think there's enough to do in Indy to keep a family busy for three years. But thereafter, likely their interest in Indy will be dying about the same time as their interest in drum corps. Considering the financial incentive to DCI to stay in Indy - not to mention being in the "heart" of band country - it may not be such a bad decision to stay in Indy.

I lost interest in Indy in about 2011 and now go only to see the show. Indy doesn't get tourist dollars from me, but I'm in that Legacy group.

Band families are familiar with Indy and it's easy to get to for a large part of the fandom.

Your point about marketing is valid, IMO. But I'd bet that their scarce resources drive that question. I gotta believe that a lot of their few dollars are spent marketing inside the marching activity where they attract kid's eyeballs, not mine.

Is there a formal marketing plan that can be publicized? Dunno, never asked. If not, maybe they can be chastised, but maybe, instead, their puny budget allows for only one or two choices making a formal plan mostly unnecessary. The last thing the activity needs is more plans.

Please tell me...how many Legacy fans are there vs. the group of people who are rotating every three years?

I am a Legacy fan....and if I live to the average expected age I wil be 77 or so when I depart this world. I am 41 now...that is a lot of years left that I can support dci drum corps. Why oh why does dci want to toss me aside (Or risk chasing away fans like me)? You know..a fan who has a history of spending thousands of dollars through the years for dci stuff's.

As far as 'Getting the Word Out' and 'Marketing' I have always mentioned this possibility. How many states, cities and towns do DCI corps travel through each summer? What would be so hard and horrible about the corps stopping for one hour, let the membership get out and about and promote the activity? This would be a great idea for show days. Get some members away from practice field for an hour or so....comb the town/city and promote the show they are about to perform in that night. What is wrong with this?

oh...I replied 'No' to the pole question. :cool: DCI is definitely doing some things right....but they are also doing plenty wrong

Edited by Triple Forte