DCI too expensive, Cancelled shows?

All that being said, the host contract IS extremely expensive, and has to be paid up front, with no kickback if your show is canceled due to rain or whatever. It's very scary for organizations to take on, especially new organizations who have never hosted a show before. The other kicker is that for "local" sites (i.e., not DCI weekend shows), the local host is the person responsible for finding corps housing, which is also quite a difficult task.

It may be that the price of the host contract is becoming too much for schools to handle. Even a small Open Class show can cost upwards of $8000-$10000 just for the contract. World Class shows demand 2-3x that much. And it all has to be paid prior to the show even happening.

Since when?

I helped host a show a few years ago, and it didn't cost that much upfront, and we also did not find the housing. The corps set that up on their own.

Since when?

I helped host a show a few years ago, and it didn't cost that much upfront, and we also did not find the housing. The corps set that up on their own.

An 8-corps WC show is about $27,000. Housing is usually the responsibility of the show host.

An 8-corps WC show is about $27,000. Housing is usually the responsibility of the show host.

Some corps will set up their own site. That usually occurs when returning to a previous location or alumni are involved.

However, most of the time, it is the responsibility of the competition host as garfield has stated.

Some corps will set up their own site. That usually occurs when returning to a previous location or alumni are involved.

However, most of the time, it is the responsibility of the competition host as garfield has stated.

Wow, things have changed since the Frankfort, Illinois show a few years back.

• Like 1

Wow, things have changed since the Frankfort, Illinois show a few years back.

Us “old corps guys” view the term "a few years back" as a relative term. A few years back for me may be different than for you.

:laughing::doh::laughing::doh::laughing::doh::laughing:

Since when?

I guess I don't understand why information has to be corroborated 14 different times before people believe it on this site. Did you think I was making numbers up? I realize people DO that sometimes, but come on.

The numbers and information I posted are current to this upcoming season.

The Warrenton cancellation really upsets me. Northern Virginia is already deprived of any sort of nearby drum corps activity. I'll have to see if I can make it to Allentown now.

"Northern Virginia is already deprived of ANY SORT OF DRUM CORPS ACTIVITY"

I would like to remind people of " Shenandoah Sound " of Manassas, VA. They are a DCA Corps that competes. ( in places like, Florida &

Rochester, NY)

They have a "Home" contest scheduled again for July 5th. this year. In Woodbridge, VA.

"Northern Virginia is already deprived of ANY SORT OF DRUM CORPS ACTIVITY"

I would like to remind people of " Shenandoah Sound " of Manassas, VA. They are a DCA Corps that competes. ( in places like, Florida &

Rochester, NY)

They have a "Home" contest scheduled again for July 5th. this year. In Woodbridge, VA.

Back to DCI World Class Corps Discussions

I'm pretty glad that I moved away from there. Is the show in Woodbridge, VA or Dale City?

I guess I don't understand why information has to be corroborated 14 different times before people believe it on this site. Did you think I was making numbers up? I realize people DO that sometimes, but come on.

The numbers and information I posted are current to this upcoming season.

Wow, seriously? DIdn't mean to strike a nerve.

Edited by tesmusic

Back to DCI World Class Corps Discussions

I'm pretty glad that I moved away from there. Is the show in Woodbridge, VA or Dale City?

ljeffeory:

Surely "Shenandoah Sound" would at least keep it out of the " ......devoid of any sort of drum corps activity. " Maybe Not on the

level YOU Want, But, but they do exist, in Northern VA and Compete in DCA. (they even do some traveling; FL, GA, NC, PA, and NY, ETC. Just to mention some..)

Edited by 2B or not 2B
  • Like 2