DCI too expensive, Cancelled shows?

ljeffeory:

Surely "Shenandoah Sound" would at least keep it out of the " ......devoid of any sort of drum corps activity. " Maybe Not on the

level YOU Want, But, but they do exist, in Northern VA and Compete in DCA. (they even do some traveling; FL, GA, NC, PA, and NY, ETC. Just to mention some..)

They were one of the high points of being in the area for sure! Hope they grow and are successful. I know about them and where they go and what they do. I just didn't care for the weather there or living in the state with some of their laws that are different from other areas of the country. Also, they're a DCA corps, not a DCI corps. So to address the question "Is DCI too expensive for MB or smaller shows?"

Looks like they've priced themselves out of many smaller venues that would have them.

Edited by jjeffeory

Let's get back on topic. Is $25-27K for a WC competition too high a price for a high school to host a show? The number of competitions at high schools continue to shrink. Soon the only place to see a DCI competition will be at a college or pro stadium like most DCA shows. While the venue is great in larger sites, does that remove high schools from hosting DCI competitions on weekdays?

Edited by Old Corps Guy

The Warrenton cancellation really upsets me. Northern Virginia is already deprived of any sort of nearby drum corps activity. I'll have to see if I can make it to Allentown now.

Four of the corps from Warrenton show have moved to the West Chester PA show on the same night.

Let's get back on topic. Is $25-27K for a WC competition too high a price for a high school to host a show? The number of competitions at high schools continue to shrink. Soon the only place to see a DCI competition will be at a college or pro stadium like most DCA shows. While the venue is great in larger sites, does that remove high schools from hosting DCI competitions on weekdays?

In a word, No, on both counts.

The contract represents what the "market" will bear. Unfortunately there's not much of a "market" against which one can relate DCI's cost to host.

The measurement is, obviously, the number of shows v. the number of corps, and it's a delicate balance. More corps = more shows. Corps need stops on tour, and doing a show is just another "run through" in uniform. Traversing the country between 4 shows total would be an expense that the vast majority of corps - even most of the G7 - could not afford. DCI will stop increasing TEP fees when shows start dropping off the schedule - that's the only metric against which they can relate contract increases.

I'm pretty confident that DCI measures show and fan attendance against their mandate (and vocal insistence) of returning the maximum possible to corps from tour revenue.

As a TEP, we pass costs on to fans. When the fans stop coming and paying for the contract, we'll be able to update DCI on the impact of their contract increase.

• Like 3

The contract represents what the "market" will bear. Unfortunately there's not much of a "market" against which one can relate DCI's cost to host.

I'm pretty confident that DCI measures show and fan attendance against their mandate (and vocal insistence) of returning the maximum possible to corps from tour revenue.

As a TEP, we pass costs on to fans. When the fans stop coming and paying for the contract, we'll be able to update DCI on the impact of their contract increase.

But how much is "what the market will bear" and how much is DCI having to charge $xxx to cover expenses thru out the year?

Yeah a rhetorical question but I'm sure DCI set upcoming budgets expecting/needing $xxx from these charges.

While I am sad that the DC area won't get a show this year, I am glad to hear that the four corps were able to be added to the West Chester show. However, it does support the comment regarding high schools vs. colleges. Four corps move from a high school venue to a unviersity venue due to a cancellation

I wonder what will happen for Pioneer and The Academy. They now have no show between Salem, VA and Allentown. Corps housing could be a challenge.

I wonder what will happen for Pioneer and The Academy. They now have no show between Salem, VA and Allentown. Corps housing could be a challenge.

After having spent some time on the Pioneer staff, they often times make decisions to place time in between shows for rehearsal days.

There were several years when they did not participate the DCI Minnesota event, and elected to go back to "the land" to rehearse.

May not be a housing thing or a money thing at all. Email Roman.

Edited by tesmusic