World Class Percussion to Watch in 2014?

So I was thinking about who's going to be good in the percussion caption this year, any thoughts?

Keeping my eyes on:

Blue Devils - I felt like if last year there were just a few less notes, they would have been higher in drums, maybe won? Honestly they can either be alright like 2008 and 2010 or hit the nail on the head like 2009 and 2012. Best front ensemble year in year out in my opinion, they're incredible.

The Cadets - Defending their drum title, so they're going to be good again, read somewhere though that there's not a lot of vets? Regardless, still a great staff and they'll be up there.

Santa Clara Vanguard - They get a little farther every year, but always get overtaken a week or so before finals, will they finally overcome that? Going to be really hard to be compared on a consistent basis with the 04 line and front ensemble, which you can't do IMO to enjoy it, and is something you can't do because the two staffs are polar opposites in style IMO. Love them though, great books year in year out lately.

Bluecoats - Will this be their year? They have my favorite book and line every year since I've started following, Rarick and Thrower just know how to write some amazing stuff and integrate it into the brass book.

Madison Scouts - Beddis and Sparling are doing wonders there, 5th in drums last year was well deserved in my opinion. Nice to see what was a major weakness in 2010 - 2012 is now turning into a major strong point.

Cavaliers - Solid in 2012 and 2013, if the momentum gets going for the rest of the corps maybe a fire can be lit here, they've certainly got the talent in staff.

Blue Stars - Best line in the bottom 6 last year in my opinion, I would have had them up around Crown and Madison personally, I guess going first in finals can hurt you there though. Not very many age outs last year is the word, and after that, I think these guys are going to tear it up. Front ensemble was especially strong, drums no slouch either. Please keep this staff, they're amazing. If they can score higher as a corps and start performing later, I could see this being a top 7 line.

Phantom Regiment - Kuhn certainly has the credentials, this looks very promising. Hope it turns out well.

Pacific Crest - Was a huge fan of them last year, a nice solid line that was certainly an asset for the corps. They were up around 13th in most of the regionals in drums, I think they have a promising future.

Oregon Crusaders - Favorite non finalist line last year, thought they were underscored. Was a big surprise, wasn't expecting the drums to be my favorite part of this corps. I'm watching them.

Mandarins - The best drumline in the 17 - 22 corps by miles, they always impress me.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 1

So I was thinking about who's going to be good in the percussion caption this year, any thoughts?

Keeping my eyes on:

Blue Devils - I felt like if last year there were just a few less notes, they would have been higher in drums, maybe won? Honestly they can either be alright like 2008 and 2010 or hit the nail on the head like 2009 and 2012. Best front ensemble year in year out in my opinion, they're incredible.

The Cadets - Defending their drum title, so they're going to be good again, read somewhere though that there's not a lot of vets? Regardless, still a great staff and they'll be up there.

Santa Clara Vanguard - They get a little farther every year, but always get overtaken a week or so before finals, will they finally overcome that? Going to be really hard to be compared on a consistent basis with the 04 line and front ensemble, which you can't do IMO to enjoy it, and is something you can't do because the two staffs are polar opposites in style IMO. Love them though, great books year in year out lately.

Bluecoats - Will this be their year? They have my favorite book and line every year since I've started following, Rarick and Thrower just know how to write some amazing stuff and integrate it into the brass book.

Madison Scouts - Beddis and Sparling are doing wonders there, 5th in drums last year was well deserved in my opinion. Nice to see what was a major weakness in 2010 - 2012 is now turning into a major strong point.

Cavaliers - Solid in 2012 and 2013, if the momentum gets going for the rest of the corps maybe a fire can be lit here, they've certainly got the talent in staff.

Blue Stars - Best line in the bottom 6 last year in my opinion, I would have had them up around Crown and Madison personally, I guess going first in finals can hurt you there though. Not very many age outs last year is the word, and after that, I think these guys are going to tear it up. Front ensemble was especially strong, drums no slouch either. Please keep this staff, they're amazing. If they can score higher as a corps and start performing later, I could see this being a top 7 line.

Phantom Regiment - Kuhn certainly has the credentials, this looks very promising. Hope it turns out well.

Pacific Crest - Was a huge fan of them last year, a nice solid line that was certainly an asset for the corps. They were up around 13th in most of the regionals in drums, I think they have a promising future.

Oregon Crusaders - Favorite non finalist line last year, thought they were underscored. Was a big surprise, wasn't expecting the drums to be my favorite part of this corps. I'm watching them.

Mandarins - The best drumline in the 17 - 22 corps by miles, they always impress me.

You left out BAC on the rise. Will be a big surprise this year.

• Like 1

If you're going to add corps with no shot at the drum title on the list, you might as well add Crown. I'm sure their staff is working as hard as possible to improve the drumline from what it has been the past 2 seasons.

Keeping my eyes on:

Have to disagree with you about BD's front. That nod goes to Cavaliers pretty much every year since 1997 in my opinion. Devs are amazing, but Cavs changed the game and most other fronts have adapted the style that came from the Erik Johnson years.

As for who to watch? I think its probably the usual suspects. I'm sure Coats will be in the top 5 as usual. If Cavs have a stronger overall package, they'll be a possibility for it, particularly with Macintosh more involved this year. Cadets didn't lose too many people in the battery, but had a lot of turnover in the front ensemble from what I understand. Devils are always worth watching, if not for the possibility of winning the trophy, for the fact that they're going to push the envelope in terms of what they try to play. I don't think Vanguard gets close until Rennick writes a flashier book. People always make the argument that his parts are more musical, but that just isn't the case any more. Coats, Cadets and several others have figured out how to write tasteful and musical parts that also challenge the players at a higher level. Those are probably the groups that have a shot at it.

However, if its percussion on the field this summer, its probably worth watching. The worst of those groups are working harder and longer hours than pretty much any other drumlines and front ensembles out there.

• Like 1

Love the original post!

Even though I hammered them last year, I'm rooting for Crown's percussion this season. If they can play at the same level as that brass section then watch out!

My favorite line to bust a move this year will be the Bluecoats. They're due.

As always, I love the Cadets and Blue Devils.

My dark horse is the Blue Stars. I adore their battery! I love their writing! I love their passion!

• Like 1

Love the original post!

Even though I hammered them last year, I'm rooting for Crown's percussion this season. If they can play at the same level as that brass section then watch out!

My favorite line to bust a move this year will be the Bluecoats. They're due.

As always, I love the Cadets and Blue Devils.

My dark horse is the Blue Stars. I adore their battery! I love their writing! I love their passion!

Thanks. :tounge2: Was just trying to stir up some percussion discussion. I too really hope Crowns percussion improves, adding another strength to them would make them a lot harder to beat.

Also, I'm not saying I'm right in any way, just sharing my personal opinions. Those could be wrong. And of course I'm watching all the lines this summer, but these are the ones I'm watching out for to stand out in their respective competitive groupings.

Edited by DrumManTx

And as far as BDs front ensemble, I should have specified that I meant in recent years, Cavaliers 2011 and previous of course were incredible, but I feel like BD's taken that torch over the last two seasons. Maybe I just enjoy their writing more. Who knows.

Edited by DrumManTx

Regarding Cadets, I think there are 2 vets on snare plus 2 moving in from C2 and the rest are new; but the buzz is that they are still very talented. I believe the Devils are deep in vets.