World Class Percussion to Watch in 2014?

I loved Boston's book last year. They have been very underrated over the years, but always have a hard time getting past their 8th-10th place stigma.

I loved Boston's book last year. They have been very underrated over the years, but always have a hard time getting past their 8th-10th place stigma.

Yes your right if you look over the past 10 years final scores. Hopefully they can break the stigma. Elise has done a great job with the line.

Accurate observation and assessment, imo

Boston has a great line that I think is often overlooked and underrated. I think people see their line and think "that's pretty clean, but where are the cool visuals? Boring, on to the brass"

Boston has a great line that I think is often overlooked and underrated. I think people see their line and think "that's pretty clean, but where are the cool visuals? Boring, on to the brass"

Seems an accurate past observation and assessment as well, imo.

Again, look at the competition: it is off-the-hook, more so, IMO, than any other Caption in DCI. I'm not sure what it would take for BAC to jump up above 8th (obviously stellar playing), as Cadets, BD, SCV, Bluecoats are incredible, Madison was great last year and it seems plausible they'll build from their 5th place finish, Crown will likely improve (or at least remain in the 6th/7th range) and Cavaliers are also typically a strong percussion section. Movement would be difficult; possible, but difficult

where are the cool visuals? What is this 1979?!?!

• Like 1

where are the cool visuals? What is this 1979?!?!

I guess what I meant was that Boston doesn't really have something that the audience will go "Wow, did you see that!?". Something the top 5 usually has. The Cadets had flams, Blue Devils have clean lines, SCV has crazy cymbals, Bluecoats have insane tenors, Scouts have a great pit. Stuff like that is what I remember when I see a drumline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS6PE_FhjDM

Nope. No visuals going on at all. Must be why people write them off. Or maybe its because they aren't playing beats that are as difficult as the 6 or 7 groups ahead of them.

I mean, there are an overwhelming amount of visuals in this Scouts video. Pay no attention to the 8 million notes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIwYMNTDuD8

Or the flams going on here. All about visuals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmQm29dWS10

None of that is even to mention front ensembles.

Boston is a great program, doing great things. Just not as great as many of the other percussion programs out there, and thus they have been appropriately placed in the 10-7 range the past few years.

Again, look at the competition: it is off-the-hook, more so, IMO, than any other Caption in DCI. I'm not sure what it would take for BAC to jump up above 8th (obviously stellar playing), as Cadets, BD, SCV, Bluecoats are incredible, Madison was great last year and it seems plausible they'll build from their 5th place finish, Crown will likely improve (or at least remain in the 6th/7th range) and Cavaliers are also typically a strong percussion section. Movement would be difficult; possible, but difficult

To me this seems to be a testament to the quality of the top twelve corps these days. The effort it takes to improve is exceptionally high. either singularly (percussion, brass, guard) or collectively (show design and performance). Maybe subconciously or instinctively, there is an amount of latitude given to corps who have proven themsleves in the past, that make it difficult for them to drop a bit and other corps to rise. A benefit of the doubt shall we say, that makes it more difficult for the judging community to accept that some drum lines, brass lines or guards do in fact dimiinish in quality from one successful year to the next not as successful a year. At least enough so, for the scoring to reflect a drop enought that another corps passes them. It may be especially hard to consider this in the very top tier of corps. Just my thoughts. So yeah perc, the competition is off the hook. What would it take for BAC to move up? How much better do they have to be? Or how do they show how much better they are?