World Class Percussion to Watch in 2014?

Back to percussion-ista land.

That's what I was thinking. Boston has a very solid line and front ensemble, they are definitely an asset to the corps. I guess I just want some more punch and attitude from them. That doesn't mean flashy and loud, SCV has lighter and more musical writing, but the just have a presence, there's one of those indescribable qualities. I would say that Cadets, Blue Devils, Cavaliers, and Bluecoats all have had that in recent years in their own ways. Madison this past year, Blue Stars as well. Boston had this from about 2002 - 2009, there were some of my favorite lines in there. Not sure what it is, but I want them to have it. Regardless, still a great section, not doubting that.

I have the same assessment of Boston's Percussion the last few years as well. It is good. It is solid.( I've watched them on youtube a few times in the parking lot segments), But it has not particularly stood out of late, nor quite attained that " amazing " level yet... at least compared to 5 or 6 other DCI lines anyway.. BAC might have to kick this up from the " solid " notch to the " amazing " notch if they ever intend to move up the DCI totem pole in overall placements.

Edited by BRASSO

Guards "have never been judged in music"... no kidding ? And somehow you believe that this reply of yours has anything to do at all with ANY of my remarks above ? I'm " sorry " you took the time to reply with something that I'm pretty sure you know that both of us understand. But I hope you got it out of your system anyway.

your remarks actually have nothing to do with a thread about percussion.

oh wait...

I'm sorry for trying to drag this back on topic.

better?

• Like 1

Back to percussion-ista land.

That's what I was thinking. Boston has a very solid line and front ensemble, they are definitely an asset to the corps. I guess I just want some more punch and attitude from them. That doesn't mean flashy and loud, SCV has lighter and more musical writing, but the just have a presence, there's one of those indescribable qualities. I would say that Cadets, Blue Devils, Cavaliers, and Bluecoats all have had that in recent years in their own ways. Madison this past year, Blue Stars as well. Boston had this from about 2002 - 2009, there were some of my favorite lines in there. Not sure what it is, but I want them to have it. Regardless, still a great section, not doubting that.

I think one way of putting a finger on it might be that they haven't developed anything that they are sort of known for as of yet. Some of that comes with consistent design teams and instruction. Think about it. Bluecoats developed a sort of musical style while Mac was writing there. At the same time, Rarick was working with them, and took many of those ideas and continues to use them in his own way in his writing for Coats. Things like 9lets in infinite variations, super contoured triplet rolls, and unparalleled continuity between battery and front etc. At Cavs, where Mac has been writing for several years, you have absurd rhythmic pairings, hand speed changes, and tons of groove underneath the battery beats, paired with the characteristic Cavaliers front sound. Blue Devils have been playing completely absurd battery notes that are super angular since the 90s. They've also brought to prominence the metric accelerandos and rallantandos. All of that coupled with a ton of 16th note runs in the front. Cadets have the 6 stroke roll and paradiddle market cornered, often playing more notes per square inch than the rest of the percussion community, and bring a very orchestral approach to the front ensemble.

I could go on, but the point is that each of those groups that routinely live in the top 5 have developed something that they do that is recognizable. You hear those things and you immediately think "oh, that's line x". Boston hasn't developed that yet, for one reason or another. I think that's part of why they don't get mentioned right off the bat in these conversations. Do I think that's the reason they don't score in the top 5? Not really. I give the judges a little more credit than that. Those recognizable styles haven't stopped them from putting Madison in the top 5 (they don't really have a percussion identity yet either), or leaving the Blue Stars out of the top 8 (they definitely had the "Box 6" sound last year). Anyway, just my musings on why they might not enter the conversation as easily as some others.

I think one way of putting a finger on it might be that they haven't developed anything that they are sort of known for as of yet. Some of that comes with consistent design teams and instruction. Think about it. Bluecoats developed a sort of musical style while Mac was writing there. At the same time, Rarick was working with them, and took many of those ideas and continues to use them in his own way in his writing for Coats. Things like 9lets in infinite variations, super contoured triplet rolls, and unparalleled continuity between battery and front etc. At Cavs, where Mac has been writing for several years, you have absurd rhythmic pairings, hand speed changes, and tons of groove underneath the battery beats, paired with the characteristic Cavaliers front sound. Blue Devils have been playing completely absurd battery notes that are super angular since the 90s. They've also brought to prominence the metric accelerandos and rallantandos. All of that coupled with a ton of 16th note runs in the front. Cadets have the 6 stroke roll and paradiddle market cornered, often playing more notes per square inch than the rest of the percussion community, and bring a very orchestral approach to the front ensemble.

I could go on, but the point is that each of those groups that routinely live in the top 5 have developed something that they do that is recognizable. You hear those things and you immediately think "oh, that's line x". Boston hasn't developed that yet, for one reason or another. I think that's part of why they don't get mentioned right off the bat in these conversations. Do I think that's the reason they don't score in the top 5? Not really. I give the judges a little more credit than that. Those recognizable styles haven't stopped them from putting Madison in the top 5 (they don't really have a percussion identity yet either), or leaving the Blue Stars out of the top 8 (they definitely had the "Box 6" sound last year). Anyway, just my musings on why they might not enter the conversation as easily as some others.

I agree. For the past decade or so, BAC has been viewed as "Rennick-lite". They tend to draw staff from UNT and from Rennick's summer lines, and they drum with a very similar style. This is causing them both to not have enough of a distinct style and bleed too much of their talent to whatever line Rennick is currently teaching.