World Class Percussion to Watch in 2014?

So I was thinking about who's going to be good in the percussion caption this year, any thoughts?

I have no idea about Percussion. All I know is that my favorite snare, tenor, quads Percussion parts have been played by the Bluecoats the last couple of seasons. I have no idea why they don't win Percussion or come close to winning. Its really above my paygrade... but the ' Coats have their lines playing on youtube the last two seasons, and they are positively sick to my brass oriented ears. I've really dug the 'Coats Percussion playing the last couple of seasons.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I have no idea about Percussion. All I know is that my favorite snare, tenor, quads Percussion parts have been played by the Bluecoats the last couple of seasons. I have no idea why they don't win Percussion or come close to winning. Its really above my paygrade... but the ' Coats have their lines playing on youtube the last two seasons, and they are positively sick to my brass oriented ears. I've really dug the 'Coats Percussion playing the last couple of seasons.

They're my favorite as well, Rarick just knows how to arrange, the writing is phenomenal on it's own, and they're taught well. 2012 has been my favorite, 2nd in finals. In my opinion they've had a hot streak going since 2005 in that their books are great, performed well, and are really well integrated into the brass. Best line not to win a Sanford by miles, once again in my personal opinion.

Edited by DrumManTx

I have no idea about percusssion. All I know is that my favorite snare, tenor, quads percussion parts have been played by the Bluecoats the last coople of seasons. I have no idea why they don't win Percussion or come close to winning. Its above my paygrade... but the ' Coats have their lines playing on youtube, and they are positively sick to my brass oriented ears. I've really dug the 'Coats percussion playing the last couple of seasons.

Your ears are right. That's a fantastic percussion program year in and year out. The writing is unbelievably creative and tasteful. Both battery and front play at an extremely high level. I think its just a matter of time before they win it.

It is just annoying to hear the same garbage about Crown's battery every summer. It's just nonsense. They were a TOP SIX drumline last year. Now, if you don't like what they are playing that is a separate conversation all together. To each their own.

• Like 1

It is just annoying to hear the same garbage about Crown's battery every summer. It's just nonsense. They were a TOP SIX drumline last year. Now, if you don't like what they are playing that is a separate conversation all together. To each their own.

And they shouldn't have been. SEVERAL lines behind them were much cleaner with just as challenging a book if not more.

• Like 2

Nobody is trashing the kids. Nobody is saying they are bad people, or didn't work hard. We are allowed, however to have opinions on the product. The majority of the opinions that I've heard seem to form a consensus that a) Crown's percussion book wasn't particularly challenging last year, in either the battery or the front ensemble; b) the members weren't able to achieve said book at the same level that the other groups in the top six were able to achieve.

The judges clearly seem to agree, as Crown's placement in percussion was consistently lower than the rest of the corps all season, and near the bottom, if not sometimes OUT of the top 6. It isn't garbage, or nonsense, its simply what happened. You shouldn't take things so personally. The topic was who to watch out for in world class percussion. If you didn't want to read people's opinions on who was good and who wasn't, then this wasn't the topic you should have clicked on.

Nobody is being unprofessional, or making personal attacks. We're simply speculating based on past results.

• Like 3

Nobody is trashing the kids. Nobody is saying they are bad people, or didn't work hard. We are allowed, however to have opinions on the product. The majority of the opinions that I've heard seem to form a consensus that a) Crown's percussion book wasn't particularly challenging last year, in either the battery or the front ensemble; b) the members weren't able to achieve said book at the same level that the other groups in the top six were able to achieve.

The judges clearly seem to agree, as Crown's placement in percussion was consistently lower than the rest of the corps all season, and near the bottom, if not sometimes OUT of the top 6. It isn't garbage, or nonsense, its simply what happened. You shouldn't take things so personally. The topic was who to watch out for in world class percussion. If you didn't want to read people's opinions on who was good and who wasn't, then this wasn't the topic you should have clicked on.

Nobody is being unprofessional, or making personal attacks. We're simply speculating based on past results.

Was about to respond with the same thing. I didn't think last year was horrible or bad by any means, I thought it was a drastic improvement over 2012 and I actually quite enjoyed the front ensemble book, but it's just not up to the level of the other big boys in the percussion department. I want nothing more for Crown, than to have a percussion section that is on the level of the brass or guard, that would be something amazing. I've enjoyed Crown lines before, I liked 2011, 2010, and 2001 is one of my favorites. We're just being realistic and looking at the facts in front of us. If Crown comes out with a line that kicks ### this summer, I'll be one of the first people to back them up even more.

Edited by DrumManTx

Was about to respond with the same thing. I didn't think last year was horrible or bad by any means, I thought it was a drastic improvement over 2012 and I actually quite enjoyed the front ensemble book, but it's just not up to the level of the other big boys in the percussion department. I want nothing more for Crown, than to have a percussion section that is on the level of the brass or guard, that would be something amazing. I've enjoyed Crown lines before, I liked 2011, 2010, and 2001 is one of my favorites. We're just being realistic and looking at the facts in front of us. If Crown comes out with a line that kicks ### this summer, I'll be one of the first people to back them up even more.

ditto both. I think because everything else was SO good last year, the percussion issues were magnified.

DrumManTx -- thank you for the interesting and insightful pre-season assessment. I hope that a request for periodic assessments from you throughout the coming season wouldn't be out of line?

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 1

Are you kidding? Of course it wouldn't! If there's one thing I love to do, it's talk about drum corps. I'd be glad to. :cool:

Also, Crown's show announcement trailer has me wondering what they are cooking up in percussion land, the use of a non marching percussionist's music is an interesting move, and one I like. The piece is amazing, and Evelyn Glennie is awesome. The trailer also had A LOT of percussion footage. I don't see how they couldn't be stepping it up. They're on my radar now as well. They made an unexpected move with the drum feature music and I'm intrigued and excited!