World Class Percussion to Watch in 2014?

Neither myself, nor the poster I replied to, made ANY mentioned of 2014 predictions: we were, in fact, referencing how BAC has been perceived in past years.

Serious question: do you actually read posts you reply to for legit context or do you pick and just a sentence here or there and run with that?!?!

If you're implication is "stay on topic with predictions" (which would seemingly contradict your "lets wait and see their show before we make predictions," which makes me wonder why the H you would bother reading/posting in a predictions thread), then I think that again the context of the conversation has clear thoughts about that. If you read only my post without context, I can see how you would make the mistake in logic and perhaps you should read conversation flow/multiple posts in order to have a stronger grasp of a conversation before you jump in

hey just be glad he didnt delete many pertinent words in his quote to skew it in his favor to set up his agenda

• Like 1

I'd say the central issue is that posters ( all of us on occasion ) drift off the topic, and this creates problems for posters ( and readers alike). If you read the title of this thread it clearly states" WORLD CLASS PERCUSSION TO WATCH IN 2014 ". I'd say there is not much ambiquity here in this thread topic title to confuse people if we are talking about the past or " 2014 ". It is true, that we quickly went in this thread, and from almost the 1st page to what has occured in the past, and I guess we are all to blame on this. I did not recognize on your recent post that you were still wanting to discuss the past and that your comments on who is solid and who is amazing was still in the realm of the past. I made the mistake of thinking your comment was in reference to the thread title of" 2014 ". but should have immediately realized that nobody has seen nor heard of the 2014 Percussion sections yet because of the now customary annual offseason information blackouts, so that all we have to go on is the past few years of evaluations ( which is problematic in of itself, as the personnels change from year to year in many cases, and Corps sections placements and scores rise or fall depending upon this alone oftentimes ). You have a point on " what the H am I are reading or posting in a prediction thread ?". I suppose the anwser to that is that is what a lot of the posts on here are about. As for " having a stronger grasp " on a topic conversation" before posting, we have posters on here all the time posting on things they never saw nor heard nor were present for. So if the qualification you want to establish in order to comment on here is to have intimate first hand knowledge and experience on something from the past ( including this thread topic )in order to have an intelligent, informative, and knowledgeable conversation about it, we'd quickly begin to hear from mostly just crickets chirping on here, my friend.

a simple "my bad, i';m sorry would have sufficed as opposed to trying to martyr yourself for your error.

• Like 2

No. Guards carry rifles, flags and sabers, and in many ways are the icing on the cake to the visual effect moments..

I clearly was referring in my remarks above that Guards don't carry any musical instruments. I did not state that Guards don't carry ANY instruments, ie like rifles, flags, sabers.. and my remarks were that unlike Percussion and Brass, the Guards are not judged on their music playing. Thats ok however.. a simple " I'm sorry " will suffice with the complete misconstruing of my remarks above regarding why Guards carry a lot of weight on the current judging sheets despite the fact that they play no musical instruments as do the Brass and Percussion sections that are judged on BOTH their musical abilities as well as their marching abilities ( that Guards are not similarly judged on. ) This is no knock on Guards, as it actually gives them the credit for the high levels of weighted value they bring to their Corps scores and placements on the judging sheets as currently constructed..

Edited by BRASSO

I clearly was referring in my remarks above that Guards don't carry any musical instruments. I did not state that Guards don't carry ANY instruments, ie like rifles, flags, sabers.. and my remarks were that unlike Percussion and Brass, the Guards are not judged on their music playing. Thats ok however.. a simple " I'm sorry " will suffice with the complete misconstruing of my remarks above regarding why Guards carry a lot of weight on the current judging sheets despite the fact that they play no musical instruments as do the Brass and Percussion sections that are judged on BOTH their musical abilities as well as their marching abilities ( that Guards are not similarly judged on. ) This is no knock on Guards, as it actually gives them the credit for the high levels of weighted value they bring to their Corps scores and placements on the judging sheets as currently constructed..

of course they are nt judged on music...i mean this is an audio AND visual activity...as such guards have NEVER been judged on music. You wanted it, so here you go..."I'm sorry you';re making a mountain out of molehill when it comes to how visual is judged."

better?

• Like 1

of course they are nt judged on music...i mean this is an audio AND visual activity...as such guards have NEVER been judged on music. You wanted it, so here you go..."I'm sorry you';re making a mountain out of molehill when it comes to how visual is judged."

better?

Guards "have never been judged in music"... no kidding ? And somehow you believe that this reply of yours has anything to do at all with ANY of my remarks above ? I'm " sorry " you took the time to reply with something that I'm pretty sure you know that both of us understand. But I hope you got it out of your system anyway.

guards are not judged on their music PLAYING of course BUT are judged on musicality of the visual production which some might believe is even harder to convey. It's kind of like learning dynamics of a piece of music the horn and drum line learn but not have to produce it visually through equipment, as well as body and even field placement....wasn't sure who to answer this to so ( In general ).lol

over the years percussion has also been closely linked to the guard. Most guards I have taught, band as well as drum corps I always make sure a rehearsal for the guard is always done with percussion. jmo

guards are not judged on their music PLAYING of course BUT are judged on musicality of the visual production which some might believe is even harder to convey. It's kind of like learning dynamics of a piece of music the horn and drum line learn but not have to produce it visually through equipment, as well as body and even field placement....wasn't sure who to answer this to so ( In general ).lol

over the years percussion has also been closely linked to the guard. Most guards I have taught, band as well as drum corps I always make sure a rehearsal for the guard is always done with percussion. jmo

I understand that Guard work needs to effectively respond musically in their visual moves to the music. But this what not the gist of my remarks above on the weighted value of Guards ( over the Brass and Percussion ) on the current judging captions. I made my observations above regarding this and see no further need for a regurgitation of it again. If you or anyone else disagrees with this assessment thats fine, no problem... and I did read all the reply comments to my obervations and see nothing in the replies pesuasive enough to convince me of the more weighted value of the Guards ( and the Visuals ) is not real. That said, of others see a baritone marcher having the same weight in the overall scoring captions as that of a Guard marcher.. fine, no problem. Really.. its ok. People know what they know and unless convincing evidence is shown otherwise, they tend to keep those long held beliefs, and after awhile its found to be not worth the effort to try an persuade the unpersuadable anyway. So its all good.. its all cool... really.

Edited by BRASSO

I understand that Guard work needs to effectively respond musically in their visual moves to the music. But this what not the gist of my remarks above on the weighted value of Guards ( over the Brass and Percussion ) on the current judging captions. I made my observations above regarding this and see no further need for a regurgitation of it again. If you or anyone else disagrees with this assessment thats fine, no problem... and I did read all the reply comments to my obervations and see nothing in the replies pesuasive enough to convince me of the more weighted value of the Guards ( and the Visuals ) is not real. That said, of others see a baritone marcher having the same weight in the overall scoring captions as that of a Guard marcher.. fine, no problem. Really.. its ok. People know what they know and unless convincing evidence is shown otherwise, they tend to keep those long held beliefs, and after awhile its found to be not worth the effort to try an persuade the unpersuadable anyway. So its all good.. its all cool... really.

i understand what you are saying BUT I would disagree with weight distribution of responsibilities on a field as well as what certain members can hide as well as those who can't hide a thing and also which there are members in herent in almost every caption and those who aren't ( weight wise )BUT this is all another topic. :smile: I get ya though

Edited by GUARDLING

I guess what I meant was that Boston doesn't really have something that the audience will go "Wow, did you see that!?". Something the top 5 usually has. The Cadets had flams, Blue Devils have clean lines, SCV has crazy cymbals, Bluecoats have insane tenors, Scouts have a great pit. Stuff like that is what I remember when I see a drumline.

Back to percussion-ista land.

That's what I was thinking. Boston has a very solid line and front ensemble, they are definitely an asset to the corps. I guess I just want some more punch and attitude from them. That doesn't mean flashy and loud, SCV has lighter and more musical writing, but the just have a presence, there's one of those indescribable qualities. I would say that Cadets, Blue Devils, Cavaliers, and Bluecoats all have had that in recent years in their own ways. Madison this past year, Blue Stars as well. Boston had this from about 2002 - 2009, there were some of my favorite lines in there. Not sure what it is, but I want them to have it. Regardless, still a great section, not doubting that.