New Open Class Corps

I see DCI has just added some new corps to the summer schedule but no one on DCP talks about it. That's positive news, adding 6-7 new corps in one summer. When corps fold DCP kills management. When you add a number of new corps, know one say's a thing!!!

• Like 3

I am sure there will be more talking when information is released. Unless you are on these group's individual facebook pages, or scouring the DCI schedule, you wouldn't know the status change. I am sure DCI is going to an article about them, especially with so many in one year! New growth in Open Class (and in Soundsport, several solid groups it seems)

• Like 1

So three regional CA Corps:

Watchmen - Riverside, CA

Incognito - Garden Grove, CA (welcome back!!!)

Golden Empire - Bakersfield, CA

are on the schedule....

saw on facebook that

Eruption - WA

Guardians - TX

Lousiana Stars - LA

were approved, but don't see them on the schedule.... but when I saw the schedule earlier today the CA corps hadn't been added... so I suspect the schedule will be updated over the next few days to show us where we can watch these new corps in action! Are there other corps out there not listed?

I see DCI has just added some new corps to the summer schedule but no one on DCP talks about it.

Well, if you look at the "Open Class -- 2014 Programs" thread pinned at the top of this forum, you'll see that all of the corps lately added have in fact been listed here for more than two months. So have two of the three other corps that CSGreen mentions. (I had thought that Louisiana Stars weren't appearing in DCI until next year. I'll add them now.) All of these corps and a couple more were mentioned in a discussion of possible new groups in a discussion in January and February.

What about Spirit of Newark? Their website indicates a rehearsal scheduled for next week.

• Like 1

Guardians out of Texas are approved for open class for 2014!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

And here's a new DCI.org story about the new Open Class corps for this season: Coastal Surge, Eruption, Golden Empire, Guardians, Incognito, Louisiana Stars, and Watchmen. Guardians and Watchmen performed as SoundSport ensembles last year, while Coastal Surge appeared in exhibition in a few shows.

• Like 1

This is excellent news. As someone who spent his Drum Corps Career in Open Class(Class A in my day), I am excited to see this growth. I've always maintained that if DCI would pay attention to Open Class, it could grow and it appears that they are doing just that.

When you constantly hear about drum corps who are folding, this is really great news to hear.

• Like 1