Achin' for Akron/Cinecast

It's 2014.... Narration helps tell the story. Drum Corps has evolved.. People we dont march with tympani anymore. Get use to Narration.

I've been listening to narration in marching band shows since 1985. So that idea has been around for a very long time in the marching arts.

I'm pretty sure lots of people are USED to narration. It's not new. It's not innovative. Often it's vapid, preachy, and asinine.

While they didn't march with tympani's anymore when I marched and I agree that they're not really a good idea to march with, naming one silly idea to justify another silly idea isn't productive either. Silly rabbit.

Yep subtle----delicate or faint

The narrative is not being screamed, it is quietly being spoken.

Maybe it is the narrator that is the distraction.

Perhaps it was our seats. Roughly the mddle of the row of the middle section, top deck, 7th row. But it was overbearing from my perspective. The volume of the narration that is. I wondered if they could turn it up anh louder without blowing the speakers out. Almost painfully loud at times. Then the radio snipits were almost hard to understand, i maybe wouldnt have been able to decipher what they were saying if i didn't already know them.

I love how all these threads escalate from "Yay, drum corps! I'm so excited!" to a "Who can be the biggest #### to everyone" contest. Yikes.

Walk away from the hole you're digging instead of going deeper. It's better for all of us.

#everybodychillthe####out

• Like 5

It's 2014.... Narration helps tell the story. Drum Corps has evolved.. People we dont march with tympani anymore. Get use to Narration.

And next year will be 2015.

Narration can help, it doesn't mean it only helps. Believe it or not, i think narration can be used well. BAC i think needs some explanation that we aren't "getting" yet by its visual cues.

Meanwhile in the cadets show they introduce fdr. Cool. Introduce him. Based on context or even the radio snippet we can "get" where pearl harbor happens in the show.

And he does this constantly. Just as im getting into the music I see ol whats his name get back up to talk some more. Right after introducing us to the next movement. Its over the top in my opinion.

While corps today and in the past have used narration, few seem to do it as often or as much in-show as the cadets.

As i said, the music, of what i could hear in between soliloquies was great.

OMG I forgot about that. Dangit, I will be at the theater Monday to watch it. Grrrr.....and here I am stalling for bed waiting on scores. Guess I'll just wait for the California scores to come out.

Any scores yet?

Yes... they just came in a few moments ago and are posted here, including caps :

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/scoreboard