Achin' for Akron/Cinecast

Oh MY! I feel like I'm having a Doyle Gamill moment here. (if you know what that is, props to you!)

Cadets were spectacular, what a way to end the show with the Simple Gifts tune from Appalachian Spring. The execution was simply unparalleled, visually, musically and from an effect standpoint the announcer puts the icing on the cake - what a great voice!

Bluecoats showed up to play this season as well. From an execution standpoint they may have some room to grow but boy do I love the music and the effects in this show! I think the lack of a story ADDS to the show. Sometimes all you need is great brass, percussion and color guard lines to entertain you!

Crown was super unique (as they have been the past couple years). The singing is something that I really dig. I was kind of hoping for some holst ;) but it really wouldn't fit into the show anyways.

This '14 season is going to be superb. I'm looking forward to the rest of the summer! I hope to see a live show soon!

Keep it up guys! FHNSAB!

*Disclaimer - my opinions are my own and independent from any corps that I've marched and do not reflect the opinions of either corps.

Edited by TimbreDeBrass
  • Like 1

I had no plans to go to any theater events but found myself in the Twin Peaks parking lot after a boring business dinner. I made the walk of shame to the theater that was showing the replay tonight. I am convinced that I may truly be done with drum corps now. I found every corps (including my beloved Scouts) to be thoroughly underwhelming. ######.

• Like 1

Boston 2014 - the most awesome drill design of the season.

The lead designer did say it was a political show in the cinecast tonight... he was not wrong

I guess I'll put my opinions in here.

First off, for a first time showing at the theater I went to, everything was flawless. No glitches, sound was phenomenal. All of the auditoriums are pretty small, but the stadium seating was top. Place was a little over half full, which was way more than I was expecting. This was my view:

Bq2Poa7IMAAK6nE.jpg

Now onto the corps themselves.

Cavies- Really a big step up from the past two seasons. I love the dark-ish tones of the show, and the pit is absolutely awesome. Cavies are on their way back up.

Madison- Loved the jazzyness of the show. A step away from the pull at the heartstrings show, which is good in my opinion. Some visual things I didn't really understand, but I'm not a judge, so I don't need to understand them ;)

BAC- Holy hell. This show was dark. Really a big step away from the Crusaders we all know. New uniforms are great. Musically it can clean up, but that's to be expected this early. I absolutely love this show.

Phantom- I'm usually a fan of Phantom no matter what they do, but this show....I don't know. It's not doing anything for me. The uniform change was definitely different to say the least. It's good for corps to get out of their comfort zones, so I consider the wild uniforms a plus. Just something about this show is making me not like it, but I really want to. Curious to see it late season.

Cadets- Great corps. Awesome brass and percussion players. Awesome guard. Hate to see all of those act as a backdrop for a "hired gun" narrator for a lot of the show. The show really didn't peak my interest, and this is from someone who enjoys the vocal stuff being done in DCI. That's all I can really say.

Crown- Wow. Just....wow. Brass is on their game again this year. Percussion is already 10x better than they were late season last year. Really needs some way to tie together the different movements. Other than that...wow. This performance actually got the people in the theater to clap and cheer.

Bloo- I really really really enjoy this show concept. Literally everything is tilted. The ballad and closer of this show might just be my favorite of all time now. Bloo's going places this year. Hopefully those places involve a shiny medal. Again, performance got the theater to cheer.

Overall awesome show. I definitely will be going to the Semi's cinecast later on.

Edited by Double.D
  • Like 1

Boston has other interesting stuff. There's one part where the percussion and guard are building a tower climbing onto one another and the final guard guy on top holds two rifles up in the shape of an cross. So weird!

I'm back from the cinecast, and here are my thoughts.

The top three were excellent and if any one of them had placed first, I would not have disagreed with the decision. I thought Cadets were overall the strongest, and while they had a strong start in 2012 and 2013 and the shows seemed to loose steam as the season progressed, I believe this show has the ability for a person to see the show more than once and take away something new. I did not mind the narration and thought the young man who did the narration was excellent, though I thought some of it was phrased awkwardly and the use of recordings of JFK and FDR's actual voices worked better than the narration but this is an easy fix.

Crown is amazing musically but visually I'm not sure the trampolines work all that well and the show may have too much blue. However when this show is perfected, it will be a monster of a show.

Regarding Bluecoats, I see them placing no lower than fourth in August, of course seeing them against SCV will be critical. I just hope that as the season ends, we are not putting Bluecoats in the "underrated" once again. This show is amazing.

We were all wrong with Phantom predictions, or at least most of us were wrong. "Swan Lake" uses their strengths while also highlighting their roots and it is more original than most would believe. I don't see them placing higher than sixth in August, all depending on SCV, but I loved the show.

Cavaliers may not be where they were a few years back, but they have started much stronger this year. I saw more of what I call Cavies "Cirque de Soleil" moves and believe they will be formidable.

Madison has a strong horn line but I'm not sure they made the case for the use of trombones. They could have achieved the same effect without them, especially where they were used for a short moment. Visually they have a long way to go and if this does not improve, they may not place higher than 9th in August, but I can tell one thing already--I'll be listening to their show while driving or exercising long after this season. It has all the elements most of us love about Madison.

BAC took the greatest risk this year and while I thought they were better than Madison overall, 7th pace did not surprise me. First show nerves were evident. I just hope the risk pays off and knowing BAC as I do, this will happen and I am not saying this as a die hard fan. They take as long as it takes to tweak and improve as we saw last year. My guess is we will see some revisions.

Edited by Tim K

I had no plans to go to any theater events but found myself in the Twin Peaks parking lot after a boring business dinner. I made the walk of shame to the theater that was showing the replay tonight. I am convinced that I may truly be done with drum corps now. I found every corps (including my beloved Scouts) to be thoroughly underwhelming. ######.

Thats a pity for you, as I was pleasantly surprised with the Corps tonite, including " your beloved Scouts" for the opening week of the season.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3